Couple of Questions

Two questions: what will it take to see a Hoiberg Year 5?; and how do you think year 4 will go?  

77 members have voted

1. 1. What will it take to see a Hoiberg Year 5?

• Work hard, show personal growth, have fun, be good citizens, and embrace 14th place
    • Double-figure wins, minimum
    • Gotta at least break even
    • NIT or it's Not Past Four
    • NCAA or bust
  2. 2. Given the roster and staff we've assembled, what's your best guess for next season's outcome?

• Nine or fewer. Embrace last place.
    • Low double-figure wins is probably the ceiling for this group.
    • Probably about a .500 team.
    • This looks like a solid NIT squad, maybe about 18 wins.
    • Primed for an NCAA run, baby.

Here are a couple other expectations for next year.  On the surface, they shouldn't be difficult...

* each and every game we win the loose ball battle.  I have not looked at that statistic, but my guess is that we lost more than we won...especially if Trey wasn't on the floor this past season.  This falls within the hustle/I care category.  I often went home pissed last season because it looked like coaches and players didn't act like they cared.  

* defensive players will get beat by an offensive player on occasion.  What occurs after one of our defenders gets beat matters.  Instead of complaining or simply standing by with your finger (figuratively) up your arse or nostril doesn't meet expectations.   If you get beat...do your job, don't become a bystander.

* act as if you have made a basket or two in your life, or perhaps assisted on a basket at some point in your basketball life.  Leave the adoration or celebrations to the fans; in the meantime get your arse back and play defense.

* we get it, you were fouled.  Play on.

* we get it, you didn't foul, move on.

* an occasional technical is okay.  But don't let it ever cost your team a game.

* i want all of our players to be cool.  But take the time before a game to be laser focused and ready to go.   

* it should be cool to represent the name on front of the jersey.  I know most of our players and staff are not from here.  But take the time to learn what most of this state is about.  Then...embrace that work ethic.  Take the sparkle along with the lunch pail approach and that will elevate this program to something special. 

3 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

Fiscally responsible guy who has never hired a basketball coach. Doesn't seem to need the ego trip/resume builder of hiring and firing someone.

Did Bill Byrne ever hire a baseball coach before DVH? Don't know.  I trust Alberts to make a sound decision in any move in the athletic department as I'm sure most people do.

My theory? Trev likes tall, handsome blonde men. 🤪  The only logical conclusion I can come up with for retaining both of these two monstrosities in our athletic department. I like both of them a lot, but good grief their records…woof. I’m joking of course…I think. 

To me, he’s got to have a winning record and play competitively for most of the year for this to work, even if it’s just 1 game above .500. If he can do that, it shows that he’s building something. You can’t be a serious Power 5 program and give a coach who hasn’t had a winning season here a 5th year. But then again Scott Frost got that chance and football is far more important so who knows.  

2 minutes ago, cipsucks said:

Did Bill Byrne ever hire a baseball coach before DVH? Don't know.  I trust Alberts to make a sound decision in any move in the athletic department as I'm sure most people do.

Trev is also the same guy who cut a hugely popular football and wrestling program.  He's very capable and able to fire Hoiberg next year but I think if we're simply showing marginal improvement Fred will be around in year 5. A program that has yet to start the season 2-0 just locked in two of 2022's worst teams to start the season.  🚀🚀🚀

8 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

What do you think must happen?

What do you think will happen?

What must happen, I think, depends on Scott Frost.  If the football team wins 9 games or more, the pressure is a little bit less on Hoiberg to produce.  I think he still has to be at the .500 mark.  If the football team falls apart, all bets are off.  Alberts might not want to clean house in both programs, but he might.

What will happen?  Huskers will be a game or two above/below .500.

6 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

Trev is also the same guy who cut a hugely popular football and wrestling program.  He's very capable and able to fire Hoiberg next year but I think if we're simply showing marginal improvement Fred will be around in year 5. A program that has yet to start the season 2-0 just locked in two of 2022's worst teams to start the season.  🚀🚀🚀

Also the same guy who took UNO to division one, added great facilities and made them fiscally sound. Hired a pretty good hockey coach, too. It's all good!

4 hours ago, huskerbill85 said:
5 hours ago, Handy Johnson said:

Do you think Moos still has BTN on his cable package out in Montana…?

Heard he agreed to give them a 20k buyout if he decides to cancel

The BTN service is probably spotty up there and only works 23.7% of the time, but he called them up and asked for a contract extension.

So, I think the results are kind of interesting:

• 73 voters participated as of this moment
  • ~48% think Fred has to at least break even to keep his job
  • an identical ~48% think this team is probably about a .500 team.
  • In the category of what Fred *has* to do, it's about evenly split (18-20) between those who think the win threshold for Fred to keep his job is more than .500 vs those who think it's less.
  • But the real interesting one is that, in terms of predicting what Fred actually *will* do, about 3 times as many people think we'll fall short of .500 (28 voters) as think we'll exceed .500 (10 voters.)

So, it appears the conventional wisdom is that, if this team breaks even next season, Fred probably gets another year. (I'm sorry, but that's an embarrassingly low standard in a year 4 that follows 3 straight losing seasons.) BUT, while we aren't expecting him to have to clear a very high bar, the fans who voted are tilting strongly in the direction of doubting he can do it.

The lack of confidence that we can reach even a paltry, break-even record is eye-catching. I mean, yeah, about 60% think we will. But nearly 40% think we won't. And that's a lot. A lot of sentiment that we won't be able to clear even a low bar of a .500 record for the coach to see year 5. Wow.

49 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

• In the category of what Fred *has* to do, it's about evenly split (18-20) between those who think the win threshold for Fred to keep his job is more than .500 vs those who think it's less.
  • But the real interesting one is that, in terms of predicting what Fred actually *will* do, about 3 times as many people think we'll fall short of .500 (28 voters) as think we'll exceed .500 (10 voters.)

So, it appears the conventional wisdom is that, if this team breaks even next season, Fred probably gets another year. (I'm sorry, but that's an embarrassingly low standard in a year 4 that follows 3 straight losing seasons.) BUT, while we aren't expecting him to have to clear a very high bar, the fans who voted are tilting strongly in the direction of doubting he can do it.

The lack of confidence that we can reach even a paltry, break-even record is eye-catching. I mean, yeah, about 60% think we will. But nearly 40% think we won't. And that's a lot. A lot of sentiment that we won't be able to clear even a low bar of a .500 record for the coach to see year 5. Wow.

My expectation is to make it to the NCAA tournament.   Do I believe we have a prayer...lol.  But hey, stranger things have happened.  The Miles run to the tournament was a shocker, and that made it all the more enjoyable. 

On 4/14/2022 at 4:59 PM, Norm Peterson said:

Those numbers speak for themselves Norm & most of us regulars are worn down to a nubbin. Fred’s first 3 years remind me of that old Smith Barney commercial with John Houseman, “We get our 20 loss seasons the old fashioned way, we “EARN” them”…