Howard is N

17 hours ago, hhcmatt said:

Not sure how it will work out but we have an assistant who is able to put their scheme into use and who can recruit. 

Matt you may have answered my biggest question.  Can he recruit?  I don't care what defense we run as long as it leads to us having at least one more point at the end of the game.  I know folks say boxing out is harder with a zone but hell we can't get worse than we were in man to man.

15 minutes ago, colhusker said:

Matt you may have answered my biggest question.  Can he recruit?  I don't care what defense we run as long as it leads to us having at least one more point at the end of the game.  I know folks say boxing out is harder with a zone but hell we can't get worse than we were in man to man.

Can he recruit anyone good is the more pertinent question.  FWIW it seems like his last 4 years under Richie Riley at S. Alabama give him experience working the transfer portal.

7 hours ago, royalfan said:

watching Bama vs S. Alabama first half the defense was a man to man with some switching heavy concepts.  Certainly not a match up zone.  Will look forward to watching more deep dives, but there was nothing here to identify any sort of defensive mastermind type qualities.  Reasonably solid but non differentiating type of play.  This was a  later November game against a good team with such bad color commentary I struggled to watch any more of it.  

I wouldn't say the numbers for the last 4 years at South Alabama indicate a special level of defense. I would wonder how much their defense there is reliant on whatever group of transfers Richie Riley was bringing in on a given year. Switching would make sense with this group where the roster was guys between 6'4" and 6'9". 

I think philosophically we'll still see Nebraska eschewing offensive rebounds in the name of half court defense.  Beyond that it's a guessing game as to whether or not we'll prioritize the 3pt line more or run a pressure type defense. 

20 hours ago, hskr4life said:

I’m game for a pressure zone.  Try something new.  Maybe it gets us there, maybe it doesn’t.

But insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.  So I’m good with doing something different.

Same thing applies to the football team, the common denominator is Trey Alberts. He implored the staff for football and basketball to do something different. You can't keep banging your heads against the wall by always doing it the same ol' way! I simply applaud Frosty and Freddy for the wherewithal to make a change (albeit forced), hope it all works for the betterment of the two primary sports at dear ol' Nebraska U. #GBRAlways

Edited by AuroranHusker

It will be interesting to track responsibilities for the assistants.  Who will be responsible for development of the bigs, wings and/or PG?  Will we have a true defensive coordinator?  Will we have an offensive coordinator with Fred taking on a CEO type role?  Will we divvy up recruiting by region or perhaps high school versus transfer or perhaps by region? 

Just thinking out loud.... 

43 minutes ago, thrasher31 said:

Playing multiple styles of defense and being adaptable to your team. I'm going to listen to the full 25 minutes later tonight. 

It was a good interview. Sounds like we are down the road a bit with a couple transfers already. Also talks about having a lot of size across the board next year which will be different. 

Man, if Bryce would come back for one more year I would actually be really optimistic for next year. Maybe they can get a legit scorer in the portal 

Other notes

• Hoiberg talked up his Howard's recruiting ties in terms of the transfer portal and freshman.  I think it's worth noting that S. Alabama was bringing in a lot of Power 5 guys looking for a fresh start.
  • Hoiberg was looking for someone well rounded (a.k.a. someone who can recruit and coach)
  • currently talking to transfers and went to visit one. Hoping to have a couple of other guys on campus
  • still waiting to see on Trey and Lat
  • Flew to see Blaise and Ramel
  • Mentions we could see Walker and Kieta on the court at the same time
  • won't be filling the special assistant position 
  • Hoiberg thinks our length will work well with the defense they might run next year
  • Breidenbach has put on 15 lbs rehabbing
  • On Wednesday, Dec 7th, 2008 Nebraska lost at Western Kentucky in OT 69-62.  Doc Sadler was the coach for Nebraska, Adam Howard was a backup guard for UWK, and Armon Gates was a grad assistant for UWK

13 hours ago, royalfan said:

watching Bama vs S. Alabama first half the defense was a man to man with some switching heavy concepts.  Certainly not a match up zone.  Will look forward to watching more deep dives, but there was nothing here to identify any sort of defensive mastermind type qualities.  Reasonably solid but non differentiating type of play.  This was a  later November game against a good team with such bad color commentary I struggled to watch any more of it.  

Said in the presser today that first year S. Alabama assistant had a background in man so they spent 2/3 the time in man, 1/3 in zone.

Sounded like a fairly flexible guy.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...