Walker coming back?

bkamler

1 hour ago, millerhusker said:

Walker and Keita won't ever be on the court at the same time. 

If Trey comes back, I'm afraid our spacing and fluidity on offense won't be much improved. I don't love the Trey/Sam fit, but I can't see Trey accepting a bench role. Washut said whether or not Trey comes back depends on what his role will be next year. To me that sounds like he wants to be more of a primary ball handler. Problem is, Trey is not a good creator. He can get into the lane, but once he gets there he doesn't play under control or make good decisions, and really struggles to finish at the rim. He's also not a productive off-ball option either.  Griesel has certainly improved as a shooter throughout his college career, but it's not one of his strengths. And shooting efficiency generally drops a bit when players move up a level. Pretty sure Hoiberg is bringing him in to be the primary ball handler and decision maker. Walker and Keita obviously won't help stretch defenses.  I agree with other posters saying we need a 2 and a 4 from the portal. We need proven shooters to make room for Sam, Trey, Walker, etc to be effective. Lat is built for that. Unfortunately, he just belongs at a lower level. 

According to Derrick it sounds like he’s planning on playing with Blaise in the lineup. For sure we’ll be adding another Wing, I for one welcome a “Big” lineup rather than rolling out 3 guys like last year that couldn’t crack 200lbs…

Edited by Handy Johnson

At his best, Trey is the guard version of a 3 and D guy because he certainly can defend and he does have a reliable outside shot.  

How ready for major minutes are Lloyd and McPherson?  While I'd agree that Trey probably isn't ideal as a primary ball handler we do need to have more than just Sam. 

If Trey isn't back seems like we need to add a combo guard.

41 minutes ago, Handy Johnson said:

According to Derrick it sounds like he’s planning on playing with Blaise in the lineup. For sure we’ll be adding another Wing, I for one welcome a “Big” lineup rather than rolling out 3 guys like last year that couldn’t crack 200lbs…

It would be interesting and I wouldn’t be opposed to trying it. I just don’t think it will ever happen. People speculated about it with Derrick/Yvan and Derrick/Eduardo. Just doesn’t fit what Hoiberg, or really any other college coach outside of Painter, wants to do. 

14 minutes ago, millerhusker said:

It would be interesting and I wouldn’t be opposed to trying it. I just don’t think it will ever happen. People speculated about it with Derrick/Yvan and Derrick/Eduardo. Just doesn’t fit what Hoiberg, or really any other college coach outside of Painter, wants to do. 

Just needs to unexpectedly develop the ability to make 33% of his 3s in the same manner that he transformed from a 40% FT shooter to a 72% FT shooter.

Really though between as much as we run, foul trouble, and injuries it's hard to expect either of our centers to average north of 24 minutes per game over a season.

1 hour ago, millerhusker said:

I don't think it'll happen either - well, wait. What date are we playing at Wisconsin? Then it'll depend on whether we have our guaranteed 10 team fouls by the first or second media timeout and we have no other lineup to use.

Outside of that, though, no chance, unless one of them suddenly develops a 3-pt shot.

I watched Michigan do it in the tournament last weekend with both Dickinson and Diabate on the floor for heavy minutes together. I would be skeptical it would be a typical lineup, but I think it could be effective for 10-12 minutes a game. Or perhaps they find it really opens things up for shooters. Or it could just be they're part of our 5 best players on the team and you want to get them on the floor as much as possible. I think you'll see it some. Just remains to be seen how much. 

18 minutes ago, uneblinstu said:

I watched Michigan do it in the tournament last weekend with both Dickinson and Diabate on the floor for heavy minutes together. I would be skeptical it would be a typical lineup, but I think it could be effective for 10-12 minutes a game. Or perhaps they find it really opens things up for shooters. Or it could just be they're part of our 5 best players on the team and you want to get them on the floor as much as possible. I think you'll see it some. Just remains to be seen how much. 

Dickinson shot 64 3s this season alone. To put that in perspective, Verge only shot 54 all season.  Playing Walker and Keita together should be for emergency purposes only 

We need either Wilhelm to get healthy and be a reliable stretch 4 or recruit one in the portal 

5 minutes ago, NUdiehard said:

Dickinson shot 64 3s this season alone. To put that in perspective, Verge only shot 54 all season.  Playing Walker and Keita together should be for emergency purposes only 

We need either Wilhelm to get healthy and be a reliable stretch 4 or recruit one in the portal 

That's true. Kieta's supposed to have something of a mid-range game, right? Maybe that could be used in that situation. And yeah, Wilhelm getting healthy and finding his shot would be a huge boost, too. Either way, front court depth is a luxury we haven't seen here in a while. 

44 minutes ago, uneblinstu said:

Yes, you want your 5 BEST guys on the floor as much as possible, & if that involves a Double Post/3 out Set I’m fine with that. I don’t expect Derrick or Blaise to step out & shoot 3’s, but they should be able to operate from 15ft on in…

2 hours ago, millerhusker said:

Derrick and Ed were on the court together briefly during the Wisconsin game. That was due to foul trouble, but it worked. That was the only time they tried that but I’d love to see it more often. 

1 hour ago, nustudent said:

I don't expect Walker and Keita to start together.   But that doesn't mean they can't play together.   You saw us do it sparingly with Walker and Andre vs Wisconsin.  

But it gives us options against certain teams and in certain situations (foul troubles, rebounding issues, etc).

We've talked about this and I've come around a bit. I don't think it's a lineup they need to run every game, but in certain situations, I see value in it. Offense for Fred is still at it's best when the floor is spaced for the guards, but if they need a stop against like Edey, I can understand that.

But I'm not advocating for starting them together lol. You don't see any team in the big ten starting two bigs who aren't exactly nimble nor can shoot. 

2 hours ago, Cornyfan1 said:

Derrick and Ed were on the court together briefly during the Wisconsin game. That was due to foul trouble, but it worked. That was the only time they tried that but I’d love to see it more often. 

PLUS Blaise better be a LOT better than Eduardo or Yvan or we’re in a lot of trouble (again)…

1 hour ago, thrasher31 said:

We've talked about this and I've come around a bit. I don't think it's a lineup they need to run every game, but in certain situations, I see value in it. Offense for Fred is still at it's best when the floor is spaced for the guards, but if they need a stop against like Edey, I can understand that.

But I'm not advocating for starting them together lol. You don't see any team in the big ten starting two bigs who aren't exactly nimble nor can shoot. 

Yeah.  I don't think it has to be your full time lineup, or one that plays 20 minutes a game together.    But it's another option...which we really haven't had much of the first 3 years.   Even 4 minutes a half and then staggering the PT around it changes the look.

On 3/24/2022 at 4:15 PM, millerhusker said:

Would be ecstatic. Derrick will be one of my favorite Huskers of all time. He's just so solid. I'm afraid he'll go under-appreciated as time goes on if he doesn't play for a more successful team. 

https://huskers.com/news/2022/3/29/mens-basketball-walker-to-return-as-super-senior-in-2022-23.aspx

Last season, Walker was the only Husker to start all 32 games, averaging 9.5 points per game while pacing the Huskers with 6.0 rebounds per game. Walker shot 68.3 percent from the field, breaking NU's single-season mark for field goal percentage which had stood since the 1975-76 season.

He posted 18 double-figure scoring efforts, including a career high 16 points on three occasions, and posted three double-doubles on the year. His three double-doubles in 2021-22 came at NC State and against nationally ranked Auburn and Ohio State. Walker also topped NU with 29 blocked shots.