Oleg

Huskerpapa

https://247sports.com/Article/Oleg-Kojenets-FIBA-u16-European-Championships-Lithuania-134381245/

I am not going to beat on this drum too loudly; but I mentioned Oleg's pregame work that I observed during the season and I brought up the attached article to further refresh my memory. 

Oleg is sort of an afterthought for many of us.  Perhaps rightly so.  He has an appearance of this tallish gangly kid seen at the end of our bench.  Not much (actually nothing) is ever said about him.  He is said to be our fourth big man...a development project.

Perhaps...but perhaps not.  Again, my observation was he was working hard and had good hands and a much broader and polished offensive package (and range) than our other bigs.  That of course is not at game speed or with opposition of Big Ten bigs.  I sort of compared him to what we see when looking at a Wisconsin big. He needs more bulk/muscle.

I am not about to advocate that Oleg is the second coming.  I am only saying he may be more productive than we would first think and may earn playing time. 

That's certainly the impression I had of Kalkbrenner at CU when I first saw him play. He's developed into something much more than that. RK and OK had similar measurable coming into college, too. Jays have a reputation of developing players like that, though. NU doesn't yet. If they can do that, then maybe there's something there.

Interestingly, both Kalkbrenner and Kojenets were offered by Georgia Tech.

Edited by uneblinstu

I noticed Oleg from day one. I'm fairly impressed by the progress he's made, and that's only from the glimpses we can view at pre-game. I'd imagine behind the scenes Oleg is having to prove his mettle against the other 3 bigs on the roster, and next season Blaise Keita's replacing Eduardo Andre in the rotation (presumably). I hope Oleg can become like a Wisc./CU/Iowa post from the interior, let's see what happens in 2022-23. It could be good. Let's hope so! GBR