Porter returning to Australia...

whoopdeedoo

https://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/womens-basketball/ruby-porter-micole-cayton-both-leaving-nebraska-womens-basketball-team/article_1e532f70-0037-5b7d-8172-a12e484c036a.html

Nebraska women's basketball player Ruby Porter is leaving the team and plans to return home to Australia, she announced on social media on Wednesday.

The sophomore guard appeared in 29 games this season, including two starts, and scored 58 points.

Edited by whoopdeedoo

This does not surprise me.  I think there will be a couple more young ladies who decide to transfer, especially if we are able to obtain a couple of quality transfers to come to Nebraska.  Competition for playing time could get tough.  Regarding Ruby's specific situation could simply be home sick.  It must be tough having your family and support system a half a world away.

Wish her well and hope she is able to continue her basketball career in her native country.

GBR

MiCole and Ruby may not be the last to leaver/transfer. Don't think the total 22-23 roster is set at all. Lots of time until next fall for new recruits, and transfers in and out.

Still have lots of guards. We're king of guard heavy, but need shooting guards that can sink the 3. Need 4's.....and like everyone, always need another 5.

Expect the current true freshman to improve a lot by next season. Most of them got lots of playing time this season, so now know the ropes so to speak.  They will make up a huge central part of the team, next season. 

Like every year...it's really going to be interesting.

Sam M. in the OWH article about Ruby leaving said "after losing A. Scoggins,  M. Cayton and  R.Porter we have room to pickup more players.  As of this latest announcement by Ruby we will have only one scholarship available since we need 2 for incoming freshman.  Yes that will probably change as we have not heard what S.Haiby, B. Cravens. T. Brady and N. Dilliard are going to do.

27 minutes ago, HUD said:

Sam M. in the OWH article about Ruby leaving said "after losing A. Scoggins,  M. Cayton and  R.Porter we have room to pickup more players.  As of this latest announcement by Ruby we will have only one scholarship available since we need 2 for incoming freshman.  Yes that will probably change as we have not heard what S.Haiby, B. Cravens. T. Brady and N. Dilliard are going to do.

Would not surprise me if Coley and Stewart transfer. Coley playing time kept diminishing and Annika is facing a large group of posts especially if Bella returns.  Don't know anything just speculating.

Edited by Fastbreaker

I would hope Coley stays and develops.  Stewart will probably always be a backup post but has been valuable.  The girls who have been injured and MIA should not have more value than those who have played.  We only have a couple of incoming freshmen that’s why those returning need to stick with the program and improve.

11 hours ago, HUD said:

From Bella’s tweet, sounds like she is gone too.

Coley shows promise but I think using her as a 4 hurt her development. She looked almost confused at times later in the year. Stewart's problem is defense. We could use another 4 if Stewart leaves. I think 5 will be OK with Markowski and Popa coming off the bench. At this point not sure if we ever will see Brady and Dillard on the floor. They both seem to have the injury bug. 

1 minute ago, All About the Corn said:

Coley shows promise but I think using her as a 4 hurt her development. She looked almost confused at times later in the year. Stewart's problem is defense. We could use another 4 if Stewart leaves. I think 5 will be OK with Markowski and Popa coming off the bench. At this point not sure if we ever will see Brady and Dillard on the floor. They both seem to have the injury bug. 

Seems to me that if Sam has a NIL contract marketing her own line of clothing that she is returning.

Will T. Brady and N. Dilliard ever contribute?  I'm beginning to wonder.  Hopefully, staff is seeing enough improvement to be optimistic.  If not, would there be Medical Hardship type options available, rather than tying up a valuable scholarship another year?  Not utilizing our scholarships to the fullest, is like a self imposed sanction of reduced scholarships.  

14 hours ago, Fastbreaker said:

Would not surprise me if Coley and Stewart transfer. Coley playing time kept diminishing and Annika is facing a large group of posts especially if Bella returns.  Don't know anything just speculating.

I have been wondering if both Coley and Stewart would transfer. Especially with Maggie Mendelson coming for big ten play. And Tatiana Popa who redshirted this season. 

I don't think either Stewart or Coley leaves.  Stewart continues to improve just like her sister did at Iowa.  Her injury set her back right when we were getting ready for prime time.  As for Coley I agree she should be a wing.  She is not physical enough for the inside.  She tries hard but gets knocked around quite a bit.  Not her natural position.

4 hours ago, HUD said:

I don't think either Stewart or Coley leaves.  Stewart continues to improve just like her sister did at Iowa.  Her injury set her back right when we were getting ready for prime time.  As for Coley I agree she should be a wing.  She is not physical enough for the inside.  She tries hard but gets knocked around quite a bit.  Not her natural position.

i know i'm just using the michigan example, but annika came in and gave the huskers huge important minutes. i hope annika and coley both come back.

1 hour ago, whoopdeedoo said:

i know i'm just using the michigan example, but annika came in and gave the huskers huge important minutes. i hope annika and coley both come back.

She probably has used her limited minutes as well as anyone for awhile these past two years.  Too bad we couldn't get her High School teammate Mara Braun to come to NU this fall instead of Minnesota.  She is an excellent player.

According to Sam M....

LINCOLN — Bella Cravens, who started 32 games for Nebraska until a practice injury led to the quick ascendance of Alexis Markowski, is leaving the Husker women's basketball program. 

Cravens, who averaged 5.8 points and 5.3 rebounds this season for NU, said thank you goodbye this week in a tweet. She has entered the transfer portal, a NU spokesperson confirmed Friday.