Do we still hate Adidas?

4 hours ago, Handy Johnson said:

I’ll always say NIL money was a BAD idea. You can’t measure the value of a College degree or experience in terms of dollars & cents. It changes & shapes the way you view the World moving forward. Not everything has to be transactional by design. We’ve lost something important here that we collectively will never recover.

The GSR has been steadily increasing, what are your concerns based upon?  The same concern gets floated about the transfer portal, but statistics don't really support it.

Per the NCAA, more and more players are graduating and with regard to Division 1 schools, "for the first time ever, all men’s sports achieved the 80% threshold that former NCAA President Myles Brand declared as an 'aspirational goal' more than a decade ago."

I’m not blaming the kids, they can only deal with what’s in front of them. And having LeBron’s High School games on TV warped our reality. BUT having an opportunity for a FREE College education shouldn’t be treated like it’s “nothing” or an afterthought. Only 1 out of 4 Americans have one, & we’re giving you THAT along with room/board tutors, Swag, etc etc. No one’s being “exploited” or taken advantage of. NIL will have unforeseen consequences I’m afraid, & none of them will be good…

1 hour ago, Handy Johnson said:

I’m not blaming the kids, they can only deal with what’s in front of them. And having LeBron’s High School games on TV warped our reality. BUT having an opportunity for a FREE College education shouldn’t be treated like it’s “nothing” or an afterthought. Only 1 out of 4 Americans have one, & we’re giving you THAT along with room/board tutors, Swag, etc etc. No one’s being “exploited” or taken advantage of. NIL will have unforeseen consequences I’m afraid, & none of them will be good…

There's already alternatives out there for high school athletes to bypass college and collect a $100K check for playing hoops in high school:

https://www.overtimeelite.com/facts

15 hours ago, HuskerFever said:

There's already alternatives out there for high school athletes to bypass college and collect a $100K check for playing hoops in high school:

In pretty much every sport other than basketball and football, athletes turn pro and skip college.  The sports that aren't highly-marketable spectator sports with massive TV contracts that earn the NCAA and its members fat patchecks.  Increasingly, more PGA Tour regulars have played college golf, but basketball and football are really the anomalies.

Funny story...Michael Phelps actually went to the University of Michigan for a short while, but only because the coach he'd been training with since childhood got hired there and he didn't want to break that bond.  He already had an endorsement with Speedo and was ineligible to compete, didn't formally pursue a degree.

On 4/6/2022 at 7:58 AM, Handy Johnson said:

Yes, the schools are giving them free (though nothing is truly free) tuition, tutors, etc. But I don't see how that matters here; the schools aren't paying the players (at least not directly).

But because the school is giving a scholarship (and all that goes with it), why does that mean a car dealership can't put a point guard in a commercial? Or a grocery store can't pay a wide receiver to tweet about the store? Or a couple volleyball players can't have a podcast with sponsors and a patreon? Or a walk-on TE can't do a spot for the local Applebee's? Or for a softball player (who probably isn't on full scholarship anyway) who wants to go into fashion to start a clothing line?

There are rules in place specifically for basketball and football players (more strict rules for football, of course) that won't allow them to get a job playing their sport until a certain time. Why is allowing these players to get paid in college because of their "celebrity" (for lack of a better word) any worse than allowing the aforementioned Michael Phelps to get paid for swimming even before being in college? Or for tennis players to hit the pro circuit in their teen years? Or for baseball players to go pro after high school?

I struggle to see how letting some kids get money based off of their NIL (when they are clearly public figures) is a bad thing. Or certainly any worse than it is for kids their age (and sometimes younger) to get paid for playing their sport.

33 minutes ago, atskooc said:

But because the school is giving a scholarship (and all that goes with it), why does that mean a car dealership can't put a point guard in a commercial?

And for all we know, advertisers will soon find out if there's even any value in investing in these students.

And, there probably is value to a point, but the market will soon dictate what that value actually is. We're in the early stages where some kids are getting $100K+ media contracts but if it doesn't make the company money they'll move on to some other means to capture an audience.

Just too soon to evaluate in my opinion at this point.

On 4/6/2022 at 10:01 AM, HuskerFever said:

Timely article on six-figure salaries for high school hoops:

https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2022/04/09/overtime-elite-teenagers-making-money-to-play-high-school-basketball.html

11 minutes ago, Handy Johnson said:

The University of Minnesota will now start paying Student Athletes (not regular students) money for getting “good grades”… It is NOT being well received here amongst the Alumni & the locals.

https://huskers.com/news/2022/4/9/husker-athletics-to-introduce-n-vest-nebraska-program.aspx

4 hours ago, Handy Johnson said:

The University of Minnesota will now start paying Student Athletes (not regular students) money for getting “good grades”… It is NOT being well received here amongst the Alumni & the locals.

The alumni & local residents can rest assured that, given the integrity of the University of Minnesota and their exemplary history of ethically running their athletic department,  the high academic scores that will result among their student athletes are totally legitimate and deserving of no scrutiny.

I'm just going to put this out there, I had never really ever been an adidas "shoe guy," but since I was given the opportunity to completely customize how exactly I needed my latest 2 pair to 'fit' (which had been an issue with my favs: fila, Reeboks) -- so when I ordered, adidas got my biz twice. Didn't hurt the situation that adidas offered me a big discount for my recent big birthday on the initial purchase. **That's some smart marketing, if you ask me.**

Initial one was the Husker version of SuperNovas:

Cart Image

The more recent were running shoes, for actual 'running': UltraBoosts (yep, I decided to get my act together & run again... 😉)

Cart Image

And, that concludes my promotion of adidas. I can't believe I even pulled the trigger, adidas was not my 'ideal' ever. But, like they say, adapt or die. 🤔

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/6/2022 at 8:58 AM, Handy Johnson said:

This is the direction things are going right now for top talent/transfers. I wonder if kids will lose NIL contracts for transferring or if they're still eligible:

8 hours ago, HuskerFever said:

This is the direction things are going right now for top talent/transfers. I wonder if kids will lose NIL contracts for transferring or if they're still eligible:

Oh, yeah, for sure. It’s full on business now. Some are gonna learn that the hard way and be the example for many. There will be a market correction, several probably, as time goes on. 

5 hours ago, Handy Johnson said:

There’s a nice article in today’s LJS about former Husker Lineman Yoshi Hardrick & the enduring impact of a College Education. Not just how much it means to him personally, but the ripple effect it’s had throughout generations of his family…(feel free to post it) 

‘Also some insight into why players loved Bo