Andre done

Bugeaters1

2 hours ago, FredsSlacks said:

are we sure walker is coming back? dude is already 24 years old...is he getting enough NIL money where it'd be worth playing college bball at age 25?

Earning his undergraduate degree was a major goal, but Derrick graduated last May and has been enrolled in graduate studies since.  I remember him saying in an interview that he was planning on starting a trucking company rather than pursuing playing professional ball.  Definitely plenty of demand to meet, but I don't know if he has the start-up capital for that.

Maybe we can get Sapp Bros. to come through with a fat NIL check to keep him around one more season?

10 hours ago, FredsSlacks said:

are we sure walker is coming back? dude is already 24 years old...is he getting enough NIL money where it'd be worth playing college bball at age 25?

What I have read, and I would not bet the house on this, is that Walker doesn't have aspirations to play pro ball, wants to start his own trucking firm.  Another year of NIL money would go a long ways towards getting him going on this.  Again, I am not betting the house on this.  I mean one or two years in the G league or over seas would get him the same money (probably more) and he would not have to go to class.

9 hours ago, AuroranHusker said:

I did notice that too. It was sad but true, at times. Ed wasn't particularly skilled at the game of basketball, but he tended to give it all he had despite his shortcomings.

EXACTLY!  I'll never dog on a kid that is giving effort.  And he played hard, even in blowout losses.  I wish him nothing but the best.

1 hour ago, Chuck Taylor said:

Looking at Walker/Oleg/Keita and figuring at least one won't be here. So we'll be looking for a backup center.

I think it was inevitable that one of the 4 wasn't coming back.  I don't think it is that far fetched that those 3 return.   Oleg was always a project.  And he's not going to end up transferring anywhere at a major level right now.  Walker is a senior next year and Keita a junior so there's definitely a window/path towards future playing time, even if it doesn't happen now.

Not to mention, that while, it might not be ideal or prototypical for Fred's system, but Walker can give us minutes at the 4 as well, opening up time for Oleg to back up Keita.  You need 4 bigs to have a chance and right now that's what we have provided we don't add anyone this offseason.

1 hour ago, Chuck Taylor said:

Looking at Walker/Oleg/Keita and figuring at least one won't be here. So we'll be looking for a backup center.

I honestly think all 3 will be here. Plus Wilhelm can slide over to the 5 in theory. So that gives them 4 options at the 5. Kieta is the only question mark for me, but Andre leaving is a good sign for me. Oleg could leave, but he wouldn't elevate in conference, so why leave? I like the center situation honestly right now. A lot hinges on the kieta decision, but I feel better today than I did two days ago about him ending up here. 

34 minutes ago, nustudent said:

I think it was inevitable that one of the 4 wasn't coming back.  I don't think it is that far fetched that those 3 return.   Oleg was always a project.  And he's not going to end up transferring anywhere at a major level right now.  Walker is a senior next year and Keita a junior so there's definitely a window/path towards future playing time, even if it doesn't happen now.

Not to mention, that while, it might not be ideal or prototypical for Fred's system, but Walker can give us minutes at the 4 as well, opening up time for Oleg to back up Keita.  You need 4 bigs to have a chance and right now that's what we have provided we don't add anyone this offseason.

Your observation that "You need 4 bigs to have a chance"  is right on point. To win in the Big 10, absent a bunch of NBA talent at multiple positions who can overcome size mismatches, you have to have at least 3 and preferably 4 guys who can guard legitimate 4s and 5s. We suffer against teams who run out traditional center/power forward combos. Walker competes against the centers, but Lat really struggled playing post defense against power forwards. He consistently let guys back him down and did little or nothing to make them uncomfortable. 

That's why Wilhelm's loss was significant. He was raw, but he battled and at least made it uncomfortable for opposing 4s. CJ gave good effort, but he simply doesn't have the size to guard true 4s. I think you've got to have rotation options to go big against teams who utilize traditional 4/5 players. 

1 hour ago, Coaches kid said:

Your observation that "You need 4 bigs to have a chance"  is right on point. To win in the Big 10, absent a bunch of NBA talent at multiple positions who can overcome size mismatches, you have to have at least 3 and preferably 4 guys who can guard legitimate 4s and 5s. We suffer against teams who run out traditional center/power forward combos. Walker competes against the centers, but Lat really struggled playing post defense against power forwards. He consistently let guys back him down and did little or nothing to make them uncomfortable. 

That's why Wilhelm's loss was significant. He was raw, but he battled and at least made it uncomfortable for opposing 4s. CJ gave good effort, but he simply doesn't have the size to guard true 4s. I think you've got to have rotation options to go big against teams who utilize traditional 4/5 players. 

Yes.

And it's also why I think our defense and effort look worse than what it truly is at time.  Granted...I'm not saying it is good.  I'm just saying that when you get overmatched physically night in and night out....that takes it's toll over time.   A better effort helps.  But you're still at a disadvantage.  Game by game that can be overcome.  Over the course of 20-some odd games...you get beat down.

Edited by nustudent

1 hour ago, thrasher31 said:

I honestly think all 3 will be here. Plus Wilhelm can slide over to the 5 in theory. So that gives them 4 options at the 5. Kieta is the only question mark for me, but Andre leaving is a good sign for me. Oleg could leave, but he wouldn't elevate in conference, so why leave? I like the center situation honestly right now. A lot hinges on the kieta decision, but I feel better today than I did two days ago about him ending up here. 

Three possibilities:

1. Walker doesn't return, buys a bunch of trucks.

2. Oleg transfers DOWN to somewhere he can play.

3. Keita asks for release because Matt A. left.

Not predicting any or all, but there's a decent chance at least 1 happens.

1 minute ago, Chuck Taylor said:

Three possibilities:

1. Walker doesn't return, buys a bunch of trucks.

2. Oleg transfers DOWN to somewhere he can play.

3. Keita asks for release because Matt A. left.

Not predicting any or all, but there's a decent chance at least 1 happens.

The main one that concerns me is the last. Other 2 I'm not really all that concerned about. Walker seems in based on everything everyone is saying and reading the tea leaves. Oleg could I guess, but he hasn't played in over a year, so that's a massive risk and with the portal as it is currently, it's not a very good risk. 

Kietas situation worries me, but again, with Andre transferring out, I think that's a good sign for Kieta. Now if he doesn't end up here, all bets are off. But I'm a lot more confident today in him ending up here than I was a few days ago.