Class A jobs open

38 minutes ago, kldm64 said:

The didn't with Lincoln Northstar and so hard to make the point now they need to do directional names.  I totally agree with you cause I lobbied for Lincoln Northstar to be named Lincoln North but was told by the school board that they didn't want Lincoln and Omaha to have any of the same names and there was already a Omaha North high school.  

North Star is still directional! It's not friggin STANDING BEAR lol. I suppose Standing implies a bit of directional connotation. 

31 minutes ago, basketballjones said:

North Star is still directional! It's not friggin STANDING BEAR lol. I suppose Standing implies a bit of directional connotation. 

The North Star is up in the sky so I guess you are correct, NorthStar direction is up and Standing Bear's direction is standing exactly where it it located.  Not a big fan of either name.

59 minutes ago, Silverbacked1 said:

LNorthstar should have been North with the mascot of star, I think that is what Souix city north is.  Thought that was cool.

my nephew is a sports guy in Montana and one of the reservation schools is Lame Deer Morning Star.  Too cool, great colors and picture.

I know I'm partial, as others may be for the same school on here, Aurora Huskies hits different with the whole Aurora borealis and Husky breed in the northern lights region.

54 minutes ago, MichHusker said:

Whats the state of state of HS basketball in Nebraska right now? Here in Michigan if you want to win, you have a be a good recruiter (against the rules, but nobody follows the rules). Shot clock coming? How is the post season organized?

I'm sure there is recruiting taking place in A.  More so in the Omaha metro area; but not obnoxious issues.  Next year the shot clock will be in play in Class A.  Regular season sets up the districts and district champions and the top rated non district team.  Bottom line, the top 8 is typically involved.  There are exceptions when multiple shockers occur in the districts.

1 hour ago, MichHusker said:

Whats the state of state of HS basketball in Nebraska right now? Here in Michigan if you want to win, you have a be a good recruiter (against the rules, but nobody follows the rules). Shot clock coming? How is the post season organized?

Huskerpapa is correct.  Recruiting in HS is supposed be illegal but it happens. Kids gravitate to the top schools.  Not a lot the NSAA can do about it.  Gives a huge advantage to Omaha schools and in my opinion is ruining the game.  Shot clock will be in class A as a pilot year which means it is here to stay as schools are not going to spend money on it for one year and then not put it in.  It will eventually trickle down to the other classes.  Teams are placed into districts at the end of the year based on power points. Seven district winners and one wild card team will qualify for state which is held at PBA.

1 hour ago, Navin R. Johnson said:

Huskerpapa is correct.  Recruiting in HS is supposed be illegal but it happens. Kids gravitate to the top schools.  Not a lot the NSAA can do about it.  Gives a huge advantage to Omaha schools and in my opinion is ruining the game.  Shot clock will be in class A as a pilot year which means it is here to stay as schools are not going to spend money on it for one year and then not put it in.  It will eventually trickle down to the other classes.  Teams are placed into districts at the end of the year based on power points. Seven district winners and one wild card team will qualify for state which is held at PBA.

Schools in smaller classifications might argue about recruiting for the parochial schools.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/12/2022 at 9:19 AM, TheGov21 said:

Expect North Star to hire former UNO assistant Tyler Bullock who graduated from North Star

I once played bball against Tyler Bullock in a 3 on 3 tournament. I’ve never been more dismayed and disgusted with myself then after that. My teammates were like, “Jesus just stay in front of him.” 

“I LITERALLY CANT FELLAS GONNA NEED SOME HELP.”

4 hours ago, Cowboy Kermit said:

Expect former Husker and longtime Omaha South assistant Bruce Chubick Jr to be named the next head boy’s basketball coach at Omaha Central.

What are your thoughts on this, Kermit? I have zero dog in the fight and know he’s played a massive, pivotal role at South… just never thought he wanted to be the head guy…?

What are your thoughts on this, Kermit? I have zero dog in the fight and know he’s played a massive, pivotal role at South… just never thought he wanted to be the head guy…?

Played a key role with his father for a decade at South and all signs point to Old Man Bruce finally retiring this year. If you read his comments on taking the job he refers to central as the pinnacle and crown jewel of basketball in the state. With the current state of basketball in OPS (very very very bad), and in my opinion him being the best basketball coach left in OPS (following Behrens becoming an AD and his father retiring) this is a big time move for both parties. I’d also have to assume he’ll try and get as many of South’s talented young guys to follow him as he can

34 minutes ago, Cowboy Kermit said:

Played a key role with his father for a decade at South and all signs point to Old Man Bruce finally retiring this year. If you read his comments on taking the job he refers to central as the pinnacle and crown jewel of basketball in the state. With the current state of basketball in OPS (very very very bad), and in my opinion him being the best basketball coach left in OPS (following Behrens becoming an AD and his father retiring) this is a big time move for both parties. I’d also have to assume he’ll try and get as many of South’s talented young guys to follow him as he can

Jr is also not a teacher.  Could have played a part in him not being the head coach at South.

2 hours ago, Cowboy Kermit said:

Yeah great assessment, thank you. I just always got the impression he liked being behind the scenes a bit, but I know nothing about him obviously. 

2 hours ago, Cowboy Kermit said:

Word on the street is that OPS has done away with their you have to teach to be a coach policy. Evidenced by this hire and the hire at Westview.

Does SR even teach in OPS? I know that one point South didn’t have a single basketball coach who was in the building 

Does SR even teach in OPS? I know that one point South didn’t have a single basketball coach who was in the building 

Looks like SR doesn’t teach at South either. I was just speaking from experience as a graduate of another OPS high school. Guess my high school did things different from south.

5 hours ago, AuroranHusker said:

Good for Bruce Chubick Jr. who is a really good dude. Hope it works out well at Central High. Behrens had been quite the recruiter the first time around at CHS, not sure what happened the 2nd go-around. Maybe he'll be invigorated at Westview HS as their AD: https://nebpreps.com/simons-runco-to-lead-westview-basketball/

People remember, recruiting is illegal in the state of Nebraska.