Class A jobs open

Good for Bruce Chubick Jr. who is a really good dude. Hope it works out well at Central High. Behrens had been quite the recruiter the first time around at CHS, not sure what happened the 2nd go-around. Maybe he'll be invigorated at Westview HS as their AD: https://nebpreps.com/simons-runco-to-lead-westview-basketball/

The 2nd time around the rest of Class A had caught up. Lots of the big players in the metro these past couple of years were OPS kids in middle school that went to high school in other districts, including Sallis, Green, and Hepburn.

3 hours ago, Navin R. Johnson said:

People remember, recruiting is illegal in the state of Nebraska.

The good programs need not recruit; the good players tend to gravitate towards them.  

Most of these players will play together on summer teams and so forth.  

But yeah, certain schools do tend to "find" talent.

On 4/12/2022 at 9:19 AM, TheGov21 said:

Expect North Star to hire former UNO assistant Tyler Bullock who graduated from North Star

Scratch that, North Star is going to hire Lee Steinbrook who has been the tennis coach at Wesleyan for the past several years. Sounds like Bullock is going to be the varsity assistant 

51 minutes ago, TheGov21 said:

Scratch that, North Star is going to hire Lee Steinbrook who has been the tennis coach at Wesleyan for the past several years. Sounds like Bullock is going to be the varsity assistant 

Steinbrook has a pretty solid resume. He's also just good at "coaching." I know that sounds obvious/silly - but what I mean is he just has a knack for it - type of dude who could know nothing about "soccer," and have a team be good soon. 

16 minutes ago, basketballjones said:

Steinbrook has a pretty solid resume. He's also just good at "coaching." I know that sounds obvious/silly - but what I mean is he just has a knack for it - type of dude who could know nothing about "soccer," and have a team be good soon. 

He has coached basketball at Elmwood-M. and Norfolk Catholic.

7 minutes ago, basketballjones said:

On the surface this seems like this will be a tough job regardless of who they hire. I wonder who (or what area) their base will be for getting kids? Could be totally wrong. 

I believe it will draw from O South and O Bryan.  Could be a tough coaching gig.  (girls especially)

1 hour ago, basketballjones said:

Will they be Class B to start? And is it just Freshman-Juniors to begin? 

Looks like they will start with 9-10 grade.  The NSAA website has them at 325 along with Westview so this may just be an estimated enrollment figure, but if correct it would put them in class B for now.  I'm sure they plan to be in class A soon.  The problem is Bryan's participation numbers are not good and South is not a lot better (especially in girl's sports).  I'm not sure what will happen when you divide an already small pool, three ways.

• 10 months later...
5 hours ago, Huskerpapa said:

Thought this would happen.  I chatted with him briefly at the ladies tournament.  I wish him well.  That said, perhaps Nebraska coaches will have better luck getting their foot inside the Bellevue West doors moving forward. 

What's the story behind that Bell West coach commentary. . .

1 hour ago, AuroranHusker said:

What's the story behind that Bell West coach commentary. . .

He is retiring.

Nebraska coaches have been inconsistent in their Omaha recruitment.  Perhaps in part, due to our coaching turnover.  My hope continues to be that we should have greater presence in our state.  Other than walk on's we are not successful in state, especially Omaha. 

We may not need or want a player each year; but we still need to be in the schools.  Perhaps we should have coaching clinics and camps in Omaha, Grand Island and perhaps a wild card location each year.  The kids are impressed when they walk into PBA.  We need to extend our presence.  Just my humble opinion.   

Thanks for clarifying @Huskerpapa .  That is something I find puzzling.  For example, when Tim Miles was recruiting Nebraska, especially Omaha it seems, I remember seeing comments from the local coaches saying something like: 'We don't hear from Nebraska'  as an excuse. 

I don't understand this because it seems to me that recruiting is, or should be, a 'two-way Street, rather than a 'one-way street' implied by those comments.   Are the coaches saying they won't send their players to Nebraska because they don't hear from Nebraska?

It seems to me that if a HS coach has a talented player (who is in a better position to know than the HS coach), shouldn't he feel an obligation to make sure that player gets the maximum exposure to All the schools that might be interested in him?

Honest question!   Does Bill Self pander to Kansas HS coaches to get their recruits?

On 4/19/2022 at 9:50 AM, basketballjones said:

I golfed with him once at one of those Doc Sadler golf invite things. Cool guy. He had some interesting stories about his roommate and Janet Nee.

14 hours ago, Blindcheck said:

I believe Bellevue West has only had two head basketball coaches since they opened.

Lanny Richards and Woodard.

good lord, really? i started at West the very year they opened up--1977-1978. And Richards was coaching then. And we stunk, except for Darryl Stovall. 

But....2? In over 40 years? Damn, that's some kind of continuity. But then again, it's high school teachers, so I suppose it makes sense. 

Edited by tcp