Griesel ist N

hhcmatt

43 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

Fred Hoiberg on Sam:

“Sam brings a lot of experience, leadership and versatility to our program,” Hoiberg said. “He’s a physical guard who can all over the floor for us with his combination of size, skill and basketball IQ. He’s played point guard at North Dakota State the past two years and gives us a bigger guard who can match up well in the Big Ten.  Sam is a four-year starter who has played in the NCAA Tournament and understands what it takes to win at a high level. He’s also excited to come back home and represent Nebraska, and we are pleased to add him to the Husker program.”

Sounds like he was pretty good at NDS.  Question is...how is he in a Husker Uniform?  Will what he's done in the past transfer to what he does in Husker gear? Glad he coming to play for Nebraska...but the coaches and the press burned us pretty good this last season. 

11 minutes ago, Nighthawk said:

Sounds like he was pretty good at NDS.  Question is...how is he in a Husker Uniform?  Will what he's done in the past transfer to what he does in Husker gear? Glad he coming to play for Nebraska...but the coaches and the press burned us pretty good this last season. 

He probably won't put up the same numbers, but his size will translate.  6'6" 220 at PG is huge for any league.  He's a very methodical scorer--very patient--and he knows how to take advantage of smaller guards in the post.  He'll also be able to continue to get his three point shot off with that height.  Think very poor man's Luka Doncic.  Luka is 6'7" 230 and a PITA to guard.  

^^^Beverley is a great defender against dudes his own size.  This is very to similar to how Griesel gets most of his points.  

The average PG in the NBA is 6'1" 183.  The average PF has Luka's exact measurements.  So if you have someone who can run point at PF size it creates lots of problems, and Fred knows how to use those bodies.  Griesel will likely have to guard the SF or PF spot, but if he can do so at a decent level, it allows us to get more skilled guards on the court at the 1-3.  

I think the guys who typically have the most problems translating their game are short or skinny players.  I'll take strength over quickness any day in the B1G.  Add 38% from 3 and 76% from the line and he should be able to manufacture some points.  He also averaged close to 6 rebounds a game which would put him almost at the top of our team.  Kid is a gym rat to boot.  He's gotten better each season with a ton of off season work.  

1 minute ago, Fullbacksympathy said:

He probably won't put up the same numbers, but his size will translate.  6'6" 220 at PG is huge for any league.  He's a very methodical scorer--very patient--and he knows how to take advantage of smaller guards in the post.  He'll also be able to continue to get his three point shot off with that height.  Think very poor man's Luka Doncic.  Luka is 6'7" 230 and a PITA to guard.  

^^^Beverley is a great defender against dudes his own size.  This is very to similar to how Griesel gets most of his points.  

The average PG in the NBA is 6'1" 183.  The average PF has Luka's exact measurements.  So if you have someone who can run point at PF size it creates lots of problems, and Fred knows how to use those bodies.  Griesel will likely have to guard the SF or PF spot, but if he can do so at a decent level, it allows us to get more skilled guards on the court at the 1-3.  

I think the guys who typically have the most problems translating their game are short or skinny players.  I'll take strength over quickness any day in the B1G.  Add 38% from 3 and 76% from the line and he should be able to manufacture some points.  He also averaged close to 6 rebounds a game which would put him almost at the top of our team.  Kid is a gym rat to boot.  He's gotten better each season with a ton of off season work.  

I'm still going to just take a wait and see before I get too excited. Lets see how he does the first few games. 

41 minutes ago, Nighthawk said:

If nothing else at all, our rebounding numbers will improve with him on the floor even if he's defensively playing at the 4. 

37 minutes ago, Nighthawk said:

I'd say he fits in honestly. He's a jumbo sized ball handler that can attack defenses in multiple ways. Off passing, shooting, in the post, etc. I'm not trying to over hype him also, but I couldn't think of a better fit for Fred on offense than Griesel.

@Fullbacksympathypointed out Luka, but I'll point out Dalano with Fred. When Banton was at his best, the offense executed at a very high level. That's where I think Greisel can fill in.

Now, they'll need another ball handler for it to be successful, and Trey is trending in the right direction right now. You can run different things through either guy and be successful. Again, I think he's a perfect fit schematically for Fred. 

Honestly, I think I see a lot of what they were hoping Banton would be, and kind of was before the covid shutdown. Banton's listed at 6'7" 204 on the NBA website. Griesel's was listed at 6'6" 220 on NDSU's site. IDK if he's as good at Banton, but I think he's going to be asked to fill that kind of role. We had our best defensive numbers by a lot with Banton, so maybe they go back to trying that kind of thing.

46 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

It's kind of sad that we have a Lincoln kid that really wanted to play at NU, eventually is good enough to, and we don't take a chance on him while bringing in others that don't pan out.  He certainly had the frame coming out of high school to be a Big Ten player.

51 minutes ago, Navin R. Johnson said:

It's kind of sad that we have a Lincoln kid that really wanted to play at NU, eventually is good enough to, and we don't take a chance on him while bringing in others that don't pan out.  He certainly had the frame coming out of high school to be a Big Ten player.

But would have Griesel become the player he is now if he came to Nebraska as a walk on? Going to NDSU and playing and developing helped him. It's easy to say that they should have taken a shot on him, but he did go to NDSU and not Iowa, Kansas State or another Power 5 school. 

18 minutes ago, TheGov21 said:

But would have Griesel become the player he is now if he came to Nebraska as a walk on? Going to NDSU and playing and developing helped him. It's easy to say that they should have taken a shot on him, but he did go to NDSU and not Iowa, Kansas State or another Power 5 school. 

True, but my point is that we have had a number of players come and go and years where we did not fill all our scholarships but yet we don't take a chance on a local kid who had the size, a good attitude and grades and so on.  You are right in that there is nothing like playing major minutes to improve your game.  With the transfer portal it seems your mid majors are turning into a AAA team for the big boys. 

1 hour ago, Navin R. Johnson said:

We have the benefit of hindsight now. I watched Sam play several times in high school and admittedly would have been upset if we used a scholarship on him back then. I didn't think he had a skill that would translate to the next level. He was kind of a mediocre jack-of-all-trades, master of none. Baylor Scheierman's handle and vision, on the other hand, reminded me of D'Angelo Russell at Ohio State. And he had an elite ability to shoot the ball from NBA range since he was a sophomore. It was clear he had high level ability. Props to Sam for working hard and becoming an above-average all around college player and I'll think he'll be very good for us next year. All in all, I completely agree with your point. Ever since Collier, it's been very frustrating to see us continue to take chances on guys who averaged 6 ppg for a big time AAU program while watching solid in-state players go to other schools. 

55 minutes ago, millerhusker said:

We have the benefit of hindsight now. I watched Sam play several times in high school and admittedly would have been upset if we used a scholarship on him back then. I didn't think he had a skill that would translate to the next level. He was kind of a mediocre jack-of-all-trades, master of none. Baylor Scheierman's handle and vision, on the other hand, reminded me of D'Angelo Russell at Ohio State. And he had an elite ability to shoot the ball from NBA range since he was a sophomore. It was clear he had high level ability. Props to Sam for working hard and becoming an above-average all around college player and I'll think he'll be very good for us next year. All in all, I completely agree with your point. Ever since Collier, it's been very frustrating to see us continue to take chances on guys who averaged 6 ppg for a big time AAU program while watching solid in-state players go to other schools. 

Can't find any evidence that Scheierman received any offers except SDSU.

• 1 month later...

If I was Griesel, it would be on sight when I saw Scheierman next year.  Griesel outplayed him in the league championship game, hit the go-ahead three in his face with 3 minutes left, drew an and-1 opportunity against him shortly afterwards...just didn't have the support around him to get the win.  Transfers back home and immediately gets overshadowed by the Scheierman show.  Now that it's over, all the pundits want to talk about is how this further illustrates issues with NU.  I'm pissed for Griesel!

Seems like a really good kid and he was positive through this whole situation.  But hoping...

4iny4a.jpg

51 minutes ago, MitchMcGaryMunchies said:

If I was Griesel, it would be on sight when I saw Scheierman next year.  Griesel outplayed him in the league championship game, hit the go-ahead three in his face with 3 minutes left, drew an and-1 opportunity against him shortly afterwards...just didn't have the support around him to get the win.  Transfers back home and immediately gets overshadowed by the Scheierman show.  Now that it's over, all the pundits want to talk about is how this further illustrates issues with NU.  I'm pissed for Griesel!

Seems like a really good kid and he was positive through this whole situation.  But hoping...

4iny4a.jpg

I've actually been thinking the same thing.  Exactly.

• 11 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Handy Johnson said:

Came across a Sumari Curtis Warmup this week at Goodwill & a Sammy Hoops Hoodie. Which one do you think I bought…? 

On 10/24/2019 at 4:09 PM, Handy Johnson said:

I think it’s almost a given Arop will RS, and I don’t think it’s a real stretch to see Curtis up for B1G freshmen of the year...