Jump to content

Iowa loses to Creighton


redsteve
 Share

Recommended Posts

Yes, Creighton  beat Iowa in NCAAs...on Iowa's home court with a full house of Iowa loud fans.. 

 

Creighton's defense (largely on Clark) and Creighton's 3 shooting was enough.  Flanery (sp) had them really well coached....It was key to them being so focused and well  prepared.

No intimidation what so ever. Iowa (Blubber) was outcoach. Iowa didn't do anything different...same old.....same old game. And they  fell into Creighton's trap

 

Everyone here knows I'm not a Iowa or Creighton fan.....but that was a big one for Creighton. Congratulations

 

 

Edited by redsteve
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, huskerchode said:

I have to say, I'm kind of happy about this.  And I'm convinced after watching Iowa, they must be required to practice looks of shock, dismay, and disgust in the mirror for 30 minutes every day after practice, because what a bunch of whiners.

 

Iowa AND Michigan!   I remember the last play of our game vs Mich inbounding under the basket to get a bucket to tie, or win the game.  Leigha Brown tipped the inbound (snagged by Alexis), tripped over Alexis and went 'SPLAT' face first on the floor.  It was easy to miss in the excitement, but a replay showed Brown getting up with out-stretched arms pleading for a foul (as if she went down obviously she MUST have been fouled).    I think it must be taught as their 'Default' response. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, redsteve said:

Yes, Creighton  beat Iowa in NCAAs...on Iowa's home court with a full house of Iowa loud fans.. 

 

Creighton's defense (largely on Clark) and Creighton's 3 shooting was enough.  Flanery (sp) had them really well coached....It was key to them being so focused and well  prepared.

No intimidation what so ever. Iowa (Blubber) was outcoach.

 

Everyone here knows I'm not a Iowa or Creighton fan.....but that was a big one for Creighton. Congratulations

 

 

Flannery is a GOOD coach (and we all know Connie Yori is).  Hats-off to Creighton for beating IOWA!  😮

 

(I know they gave us all the game we wanted!  😬)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Red Don said:

Glad to see it happen - I enjoyed this game more than any other in the tournament so far.  I especially enjoyed seeing Clark's flop on her last drive to the basket - throwing the ball up and then falling down in an apparent attempt to create the mistaken appearance of having been fouled. 

 

Flannery is a GOOD coach (and we all know Connie Yori is).  Hats-off to Creighton for beating IOWA!  😮

 

(I know they gave us all the game we wanted!  😬)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, huskerchode said:

Especially when one of them is a former national coach of the year and has experience defeating Big10 teams.

 

Old topic for sure....

Always thought the Yori thing was very unfortunate for everyone involved. . UNL, coaches, fans, and players. The timing was bad....she had personal and health issues going on...just wasn't going to work out to the AD's satisfaction...so many factors. Old news of course.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, redsteve said:

 

Old topic for sure....

Always thought the Yori thing was very unfortunate for everyone involved. . UNL, coaches, fans, and players. The timing was bad....she had personal and health issues going on...just wasn't going to work out to the AD's satisfaction...so many factors. Old news of course.  

Definitely old news, but she has been extremely valuable for Creighton and the only reason I cheer for them from time to time (like today, which was awesome!)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Red Don said:

 

Iowa AND Michigan!   I remember the last play of our game vs Mich inbounding under the basket to get a bucket to tie, or win the game.  Leigha Brown tipped the inbound (snagged by Alexis), tripped over Alexis and went 'SPLAT' face first on the floor.  It was easy to miss in the excitement, but a replay showed Brown getting up with out-stretched arms pleading for a foul (as if she went down obviously she MUST have been fouled).    I think it must be taught as their 'Default' response. 

Early in today's game, the announcers mentioned officials telling Bluder to 'zip it'.  They tired of her constant whining early on.  I enjoyed that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

10 seed South Dakota just beat 2 seed Baylor !!...on Baylor's court.

 

Same scenario as Creighton game.....strong physical defense and ready to play...few turnovers, not bashful and ready to go to war.

 

Real physical play...almost got to the point where some were getting hurt when tackled for a rebound or shot...& blocking out. (Baylor didn't like losing)

 

 

Edited by redsteve
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, redsteve said:

10 seed South Dakota just beat 2 seed Baylor !!...on Baylor's court.

 

Same scenario as Creighton game.....strong physical defense and ready to play...few turnovers, not bashful and ready to go to war.

 

Real physical play...almost got the point where some were getting hurt when tackled for a rebound or shot...& blocking out. (Baylor)

My Yotes keep on winning!  Sweet 16!!!!!!!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We need an assistant coach who not only can recruit effectively, but also who can teach aggressive, relentless defense.  That was an impressive defensive performance today by the Jays.  We have better overall talent than they do but we couldn’t defend the Hawkeyes.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Gamafn said:

We need an assistant coach who not only can recruit effectively, but also who can teach aggressive, relentless defense.  That was an impressive defensive performance today by the Jays.  We have better overall talent than they do but we couldn’t defend the Hawkeyes.

Creighton would not have been able to defend if Iowa  would have gotten all the calls they usually get.  We got called for 30 fouls, Creighton got called for 10.  Makes a big difference in defense.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, Fastbreaker said:

Creighton would not have been able to defend if Iowa  would have gotten all the calls they usually get.  We got called for 30 fouls, Creighton got called for 10.  Makes a big difference in defense.

No doubt the officials swallow the whistle somewhat in the tournament, but your numbers are embellished.  In the Creighton game the Jays were called for 12 fouls and the Hawks 10.  In our last game against Iowa we were called for 18 and they for 16.  Iowa scores 83 against us and 62 against Creighton; Jays win by 2 and we lose by 17.   We lost because we didn’t defend, not because of the refs.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
59 minutes ago, Fastbreaker said:

Creighton would not have been able to defend if Iowa  would have gotten all the calls they usually get.  We got called for 30 fouls, Creighton got called for 10.  Makes a big difference in defense.

 

The women's game has evolved into "physical" play.

"Letting them play" ...It makes for a much different game. And it took away part of Iowa's game like we have talked about here before. Iowa depends on 20-30 free throws because they want to out score, not depend on defense too. It has worked for them in the B1G.

 

The "flopper" thing...that's another discussion. Glad to see in the tourney the ref's aren't buying it so much. B1G refs are really fooled by it.

 

In the NCAA's tourney, lots of the stuff doesn't get called. Pretty much the standard for the tourney. They let them play a more European game I guess you could say. You better be ready to play that kind of game. We weren't so much  this year.

 

Many of the NCAA tourney games I watched this year (or at least some of)...the team with the strongest defense is winning many games. Obviously it takes an offense to. Must be strong in both.

 

 

Edited by redsteve
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, Gamafn said:

No doubt the officials swallow the whistle somewhat in the tournament, but your numbers are embellished.  In the Creighton game the Jays were called for 12 fouls and the Hawks 10.  In our last game against Iowa we were called for 18 and they for 16.  Iowa scores 83 against us and 62 against Creighton; Jays win by 2 and we lose by 17.   We lost because we didn’t defend, not because of the refs.

 

Pretty sure Fastbreaker was referring to the Iowa game where we were called for 28 fouls and Iowa 7. We lost the game by 10. ....pretty safe to say....on the free throw line

The 28 fouls was ridiculous....we got hosed by the ref's inadequacies, and Iowa's flopping.

 

Where as in Iowa's loss to Creighton... Creighton was called for only 10.....so the obvious difference.  The tourney refs wasn't buying Blubbers whining and Iowa's "act"

 

 

Edited by redsteve
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Gamafn said:

No doubt the officials swallow the whistle somewhat in the tournament, but your numbers are embellished.  In the Creighton game the Jays were called for 12 fouls and the Hawks 10.  In our last game against Iowa we were called for 18 and they for 16.  Iowa scores 83 against us and 62 against Creighton; Jays win by 2 and we lose by 17.   We lost because we didn’t defend, not because of the refs.

Nebraska vs Iowa, January 16, 2022.  Nebraska fouls committed 28, Iowa fouls committed 7.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Gamafn said:

No doubt the officials swallow the whistle somewhat in the tournament, but your numbers are embellished.  In the Creighton game the Jays were called for 12 fouls and the Hawks 10.  In our last game against Iowa we were called for 18 and they for 16.  Iowa scores 83 against us and 62 against Creighton; Jays win by 2 and we lose by 17.   We lost because we didn’t defend, not because of the refs.

Another factor in that game was that was our 3rd game in a row whereas for Iowa it was their second.  With the Creighton versus Iowa game they both had a day off so equal footing.  Our biggest problem occurs when we don't play at home.  Lack of mental toughness.  As previously mentioned a press would help as well.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...