Comparing Regular season to Post Season

Blindcheck

I was having a discussion with a friend of mine of where accomplishments rank. Using the NCAA tournament as a gauge for a Big ten team.  We both talked about what would we rather have a Big Ten title or a sweet 16, elite 8, Final four and how we put so much emphasis on the NCAA tournament but a Big Ten championship banner would be pretty awesome hanging in the Rafters.

Where do these accomplishments rank in terms in comparing them to NCAA tournament finishes

1.  Big Ten regular season Title
  2.  Big Ten Tournament Title
  3. 15 Big ten wins
  4.  12 Big Ten Wins
  5. .500 in Big ten regular season
  6. 30 win season
  7. 25 win season
  8. 20 win Season
  9. NIT Championship
  10. NIT Final Four

As an example a 30 win season is equal to an Elite 8 appearance in terms of how you value it....not saying that is the right answer, but an example of how to answer the question.

Comparing to:

NCAA Champion

NCAA runner up

Final Four appearance

Elite 8 Appearance

Sweet Sixtenn appearance

Round of 32 appearance

NCAA Bid, but lose first game.

It depends who you talk to. Because the friends I know who are alumni from Kentucky, North Carolina, UCLA, etc. have very different expectations than we do. Anything less than a Sweet Sixteen appearance is unacceptable.

And I'm hearing that the Kentucky fans want Calipari gone; it's the administration hanging onto him.

Here is how I would rank them

1. NCAA Champion
  2. NCAA runner up
  3. Big Ten regular season Title
  4. Final Four appearance
  5. Big Ten Tournament Title
  6. Elite 8 Appearance 
  7. 15 Big ten wins
  8. 30 win season
  9. 25 win season
  10. Sweet Sixteen appearance
  11. Round of 32 appearance
  12.  12 Big Ten Wins
  13. NIT Championship
  14. NCAA Bid, but lose first game.
  15. NIT Final Four
  16. .500 in Big ten regular season
  17. 20 win Season

On 3/20/2022 at 10:44 AM, HuskerFever said:

It depends who you talk to. Because the friends I know who are alumni from Kentucky, North Carolina, UCLA, etc. have very different expectations than we do. Anything less than a Sweet Sixteen appearance is unacceptable.

And I'm hearing that the Kentucky fans want Calipari gone; it's the administration hanging onto him.

Kentucky fans are the Nebraska fans of College Basketball.

Wanting to fire Calipari is next level crazy. 

Right now I want nothing more than to win our 1st NCAA tournament game. Everything else is a distance 2nd.

ISU lost in the quarterfinals of their conference. Right now I doubt they'd care.

Think Iowa would trade their conference title for sweet 16 or better?

Conference results only matter in so much as they help with seeding in the tournament.

1 hour ago, Ron Mexico said:

Right now I want nothing more than to win our 1st NCAA tournament game. Everything else is a distance 2nd.

ISU lost in the quarterfinals of their conference. Right now I doubt they'd care.

Think Iowa would trade their conference title for sweet 16 or better?

Conference results only matter in so much as they help with seeding in the tournament.

Agree 100% about the NCAA Tournament win.  However, I'd like to add...beating Creighton more than 1 year in a row and at least 60% of the time in a decade. 

Just now, Nighthawk said:

Agree 100% about the NCAA Tournament win.  However, I'd like to add...beating Creighton more than 1 year in a row and at least 60% of the time in a decade. 

This doesn't actually bother me as much as it seems to for others. If given the offer to lose to Creighton every year for the next 10 years, in exchange for 20+ win seasons over those 10 years, I'd take that every time.

I think it would be a great idea to play the conference tournament earlier in the season.  The top teams seem more focused on the NCAA's instead of winning conference.  The 2 class A Nebraska conferences (Metro, HAC, GNAC as well) play their tournament at Christmas time.  That way you can focus on districts down the stretch.

59 minutes ago, HuskerFever said:

This doesn't actually bother me as much as it seems to for others. If given the offer to lose to Creighton every year for the next 10 years, in exchange for 20+ win seasons over those 10 years, I'd take that every time.

I too would accept that trade off.  I would hate every minute of losing to Creighton, but I would love every other minute, which is a lot more.

1 hour ago, Navin R. Johnson said:

I think it would be a great idea to play the conference tournament earlier in the season.  The top teams seem more focused on the NCAA's instead of winning conference.  The 2 class A Nebraska conferences (Metro, HAC, GNAC as well) play their tournament at Christmas time.  That way you can focus on districts down the stretch.

The difference I’d those tournaments don’t have anything attached to them. Winning them doesn’t give them an auto bid to state. I don’t think you keep conference tournaments around if there’s not a tie into the ncaa tournament 

5 hours ago, uneblinstu said:

The difference I’d those tournaments don’t have anything attached to them. Winning them doesn’t give them an auto bid to state. I don’t think you keep conference tournaments around if there’s not a tie into the ncaa tournament 

What I'd like to see is the conference go to a normal 14 team bracket where only the top 2 teams get a bye. Still start the tournament on Wednesday and end it on Saturday.

The BIG does itself no favors by ending the tournament on Sunday. 

image.png

Edited by Ron Mexico

9 hours ago, Ron Mexico said:

What I'd like to see is the conference go to a normal 14 team bracket where only the top 2 teams get a bye. Still start the tournament on Wednesday and end it on Saturday.

image.png

That's a better format on paper, but it requires 6 first-round games. Would have to run the first day at 2 sites. 

9 hours ago, Ron Mexico said:

image.png

Why not just start the tournament on Tuesday like other major conferences?  Keeping the same format?

19 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

Why not just start the tournament on Tuesday like other major conferences?  Keeping the same format?

Exactly. Sunday afternoon finals are for conferences that need the attention, like the A-10 and AAC. Or conferences that view everything through $$$$, like the BIG and SEC. Fans would love a Saturday night final. 

1 hour ago, hskr4life said:

1. It is more expensive for fans.

2. It makes it virtually impossible for one of the 4 bottom lower seeds to have a "Cinderella story"

3. 5 days on the road is a grind and does not allow for adequate recovery prior to the NCAA tournament.