Doc’s gone

15 minutes ago, kldm64 said:
On 3/18/2022 at 9:29 PM, Minnesota_Husker said:

Sometimes being a good human and someone who helps shape young men doesn’t show up in the record books.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Expand  

Valid point but these coaches aren't getting paid that kind of money to shape young men.  Not doubt, Doc was a likeable guy but he was an average coach.  Hard not to like Doc the person but we aren't paying him to be a good human.  We are paying him to help win basketball games.

...which is why he's no longer our basketball coach.

49 minutes ago, Faux Mike Peltz said:

I liked Doc. All of my interaction with him was very positive. I know Neal Hawks was pretty vocal about this on Twitter…seems he was not in favor of this…

Hawks was the one who looked at what we were doing with the practice facilities and couldn't believe our lack of vision. You'd hope that our plan is beyond eliminating a position to save a little coin.

30 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

Hawks was the one who looked at what we were doing with the practice facilities and couldn't believe our lack of vision. You'd hope that our plan is beyond eliminating a position to save a little coin.

You just took me down a rabbit hole. I recall his ad in the paper where he complained we were outspent by the entire B1G and Creighton. Happy to report we now outspend Creighton and every B1G Team except: Illinois, Indiana, and Michigan St. 

31 minutes ago, The Polish Rifle said:

You just took me down a rabbit hole. I recall his ad in the paper where he complained we were outspent by the entire B1G and Creighton. Happy to report we now outspend Creighton and every B1G Team except: Illinois, Indiana, and Michigan St. 

We outspend them and our miles behind them. Oh well, ain't my money.

We give Doc a hard time, but their defense, which presumably he had a big had in, was 40 in KenPom in the covid season. That is right where you want to be. That was the season where we had the most length and athleticism on the perimeter. Didn't have that this year, among other things. They have yet to be a top 115 team offensively under Fred. I don't think Doc was the biggest issue on this team.

Edited by uneblinstu

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Interesting interview appearing in the LJS today.  It sort of left readers hanging though.  I guess that could mean fodder for conjecture.  A couple sure things...Doc did not coach the defense this past season; and Doc reallly wants to continue coaching.

Some conjecture-right, wrong or otherwise:

* he didn't like his role last year

* parting was likely mutuality agreed upon, maybe facilitated by role limitations. 

* perhaps the staff did not all get along.

* perhaps Doc voiced opinions that were met uhhh with a bit of distain

* Doc felt the team had too many offensive primadana's. 

* Doc felt our point guard and lack of a big man precluded us from competing in this conference 

He has a man crush on Self and his way of handling a team (then again, I sort of do as well). His insight about the league differences seem spot on.

Oh well, see what you think.

https://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/mens-basketball/steven-m-sipple-an-exit-interview-with-doc-sadler-who-contemplates-possible-nba-future/article_0e80bdd0-bbab-524d-88b2-f0e892faacc2.html?utm_medium=social&utm_source=email&utm_campaign=user-share

1 hour ago, Huskerpapa said:

Interesting interview appearing in the LJS today.  It sort of left readers hanging though.  I guess that could mean fodder for conjecture.  A couple sure things...Doc did not coach the defense this past season; and Doc reallly wants to continue coaching.

Some conjecture-right, wrong or otherwise:

* he didn't like his role last year

* parting was likely mutuality agreed upon, maybe facilitated by role limitations. 

* perhaps the staff did not all get along.

* perhaps Doc voiced opinions that were met uhhh with a bit of distain

* Doc felt the team had too many offensive primadana's. 

* Doc felt our point guard and lack of a big man precluded us from competing in this conference 

He has a man crush on Self and his way of handling a team (then again, I sort of do as well). His insight about the league differences seem spot on.

Oh well, see what you think.

https://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/mens-basketball/steven-m-sipple-an-exit-interview-with-doc-sadler-who-contemplates-possible-nba-future/article_0e80bdd0-bbab-524d-88b2-f0e892faacc2.html?utm_medium=social&utm_source=email&utm_campaign=user-share

Sounds like that all came from the interview Sip and Jake did on 93.7 the other morning.  Which I listened to.  I don't think Doc holds any ill will or grudge against Fred or the team.  Sounds to me like the parting was mutual.

Doc did say on the radio that he really would like to try coaching in the NBA (not sure how realistic that is).

5 hours ago, 49r said:

Sounds like that all came from the interview Sip and Jake did on 93.7 the other morning.  Which I listened to.  I don't think Doc holds any ill will or grudge against Fred or the team.  Sounds to me like the parting was mutual.

Doc did say on the radio that he really would like to try coaching in the NBA (not sure how realistic that is).

The article mentions he had a former player Darvin Ham who is the associate coach for Milwaukee.

7 hours ago, hhcmatt said:

Doc "was not allowed to be on the practice floor this year."

I'll repeat:

Some on here need to eat some crow and perhaps maybe even apologize for taking a dump on some others who were right about Doc's role all along when they were abundantly and aggressively wrong.

6 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

I'll repeat:

Some on here need to eat some crow and perhaps maybe even apologize for taking a dump on some others who were right about Doc's role all along when they were abundantly and aggressively wrong.

Probably starting with our own husker website who said that he was in charge of the defense.  Not sure why they would say that if he didn’t have hands on the defense.    Still curious what he was being paid to do if it was not to initiate defensive game plans.  In any event an awful look for Doc over there on the sidelines, none more noticeable than the Wisconsin win.  Really bad look.  

he absolutely is allowed to be at practice.  Perhaps he got demoted.  

Edited by royalfan

21 minutes ago, royalfan said:

Probably starting with our own husker website who said that he was in charge of the defense.  Not sure why they would say that if he didn’t have hands on the defense.    Still curious what he was being paid to do if it was not to initiate defensive game plans.  In any event an awful look for Doc over there on the sidelines, none more noticeable than the Wisconsin win.  Really bad look.  

he absolutely is allowed to be at practice.  Perhaps he got demoted.  

Yes, prior to last season Doc was demoted/reassigned to the role that Bobby Lutz had held and Coach Loenser was hired to backfill Doc's old assistant coaching role.    

Shoot, I am shocked that everyone on this site seemed unaware of that change.   

It's a moot point, at this time tbh. I knew Doc was in the Lutz role. It's been well established that's how Freddy could bring in Loenser without upsetting the whole apple cart last off-season; well, the whole cart was overturned this off-season so that's basically a moot point as well. Maybe winning will cure what ails NU, football and basketball alike. GBR! Always.

10 hours ago, Huskerpapa said:

Yes, prior to last season Doc was demoted/reassigned to the role that Bobby Lutz had held and Coach Loenser was hired to backfill Doc's old assistant coaching role.    

Shoot, I am shocked that everyone on this site seemed unaware of that change.   

Seemed like pretty common knowledge but for whatever reason was never explicitly communicated to the point that it couldn't counter some conjecture among the fanbase. 

As far as Doc not being on staff anymore I have to think it's a $$$ issue. That we're not even filling the special assistant position means we're either allocating funds elsewhere in the future or we're just cutting costs. Bill Self having Doc hang out to knock around ideas with on the way to winning the national championship points to his value as a basketball mind.