Doc’s gone

2 minutes ago, Huskerpapa said:

Whatever is assigned to him by the head coach.  

Sounds like a cushy gig.  No coaching, sit courtside, tell a joke or two at practice.  Seriously, I was just curious the job description he had.  Assume more of an analyst?

Edited by colhusker

26 minutes ago, HuskerFever said:

He built a career in Division 1, did it with integrity, was a good ambassador for the university/players/people, and left with respect.

Wish him all the best.

Agree - I asked as I had no clue what he was doing after he left the "coaching" staff.  He was a great guy and represented NU well.

31 minutes ago, FredsSlacks said:

Serious question. What exactly did he do for the program besides get paid millions to coach a sub .500 team for roughly 10 years?

Oh get out of here with the crap on Doc takes.  Guy came back to assist at a University he loved and was a great ambassador for our program.  He's a good guy who did things the right way.  He lost his job today-- you don't have to kick at the guy when he's down.

21 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

Oh get out of here with the crap on Doc takes.  Guy came back to assist at a University he loved and was a great ambassador for our program.  He's a good guy who did things the right way.  He lost his job today-- you don't have to kick at the guy when he's down.

i'm not kicking him while he's down. I just find it interesting that people are wishing doc well, but when Riley got fired nobody gave a S**t about his well being. 

I was genuinely just trying to figure out the difference, but apparently nebrasketball fans are just kinder than the football fans?

a good example is that if frost brought riley on as an assistant, i don't think the football fans would be happy at all about this. where with Doc it was celebrated even though he did no better than riley as a head coach here.

Edited by FredsSlacks

8 minutes ago, FredsSlacks said:

i'm not kicking him while he's down. I just find it interesting that people are wishing doc well, but when Riley got fired nobody gave a S**t about his well being.

I watched his games as the Seattle Dragons coach. As I'm sure some others did as well.

Edit: Excited to see how he does at New Jersey Generals this season in the USFL as well. Can't wait for that season to start shortly.

Edited by HuskerFever

What made Doc Sadler likable for me was his press conference after getting fired, I believe that was 2011, my senior year of high school. Maybe he's just an emotional guy, but he came across as someone who genuinely cared about the job and the program. Ever since then I have had a very high opinion of him. Funny enough, that same year, I competed against his son Landon numerous times in debate, I believe he went to Lincoln Southwest. Very smart and outspoken opponent.

I had the chance to meet Doc at the Mall of America in 2020 right before everything was shut down and it reaffirmed my opinion of him. Very kind, down to earth guy. Just my perception of him.

Edited by bleujay

11 minutes ago, FredsSlacks said:

I was genuinely just trying to figure out the difference, but apparently nebrasketball fans are just kinder than the football fans?

a good example is that if frost brought riley on as an assistant, i don't think the football fans would be happy at all about this. where with Doc it was celebrated even though he did no better than riley as a head coach here.

It’s apples to oranges, to me. Football has a storied tradition and Riley was brought in under dubious circumstances. Doc was brought in after NU was kind of last holding the bag when Collier jumped ship in the summer. People thought he should have been fired in the first place and wanted him out. Then doc went and put likable, relatable teams on the court. And people liked him. While Riley himself may have been likable, just about everything else was a mess. 

48 minutes ago, FredsSlacks said:

I think there were/are many husker fans that have no hard feelings with Riley. I have no ill will towards Riley at all. The guy that hired Riley on the other hand...

53 minutes ago, FredsSlacks said:

Hmm.  I wish all coaches and players well.  And if Frost made the decision to bring him back in a subservient position, I would support it.  

Doc had a great coaching pedigree and knew his X's and O's.  His issue was his reluctance to sell his soul to AAU programs and as result struggled to secure top line talent.  But given that talent issue, he could out coach many of his peers.