Matt Abdelmassih is done

Bugeaters1

Good recruiter but did he actually do any coaching? It just seemed like in timeouts he was always off to the side and in interviews it was always recruiting focus. If all he was bringing to the table was establishing good relationships with recruits I'm hopeful we can do better. At any rate I'm sure we can find someone at the Alpha Chi Omega house who would be just as successful texting and DMing 18-22 year old guys. 

So outside of Wilcher & Breidenbach almost everyone else on the roster is an “If” or a “Maybe”? Not to sound like a Wet Blanket here but turning over this entire thing (yet again) doesn’t-bode-well. Wasn’t our NIL program dialed in, facilitates off the charts, fan support, NBA fast track etc etc. I KNEW Fred would be back, but without a foundation of Walker/Trey/Bryce it looks like nothing other than more false hope.

14 hours ago, Chuck Taylor said:

Hard to judge the impact until Matt A gets a new job, which he will.

I suspect he might take a year or so to clear up whatever the cause is of his, um, previous health problems.

But yeah, on the outside he's an attractive hire if you're a power 5 coach who doesn't want to any of the heavy lifting of recruiting.

6 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

I suspect he might take a year or so to clear up whatever the cause is of his, um, previous health problems.

But yeah, on the outside he's an attractive hire if you're a power 5 coach who doesn't want to any of the heavy lifting of recruiting.

Rumor has it, Abdelmassih's recruiting strategy was the same method that Moos used for his shortlist of candidates, stashed away in a desk on the back of a napkin.

19 hours ago, Huskerpapa said:

Had to personally be a tough conversation between Matt and Fred.  I wish the marriage would have worked...but it didn't.  

I am quite sure Matt will land on his feet.

I am also quite sure that any loss of recruits will be okay.  If that player leaves, I will guess that it wouldn't have worked anyway.

I guess if guys aren't here or aren't coming here because they've bought into playing basketball for Fred Hoiberg is it that surprising we've been watching a team that's constantly folded when times were tough for the last 3 years? Our entire marketing campaign this season of 'star city' was like watching a middle finger to the concept of team basketball.

8 minutes ago, Nighthawk said:

lol...shows how much I follow HS Basketball (I know most all of you follow HS Basketball, no matter what others might think). I didn't know that Sam Griesel, was a graduate of my Alma Mater and was a Spartan. 

I do follow and yet I had to double check to see if he was a follow Spartan when his name popped up.

8 hours ago, Handy Johnson said:

So outside of Wilcher & Breidenbach almost everyone else on the roster is an “If” or a “Maybe”? Not to sound like a Wet Blanket here but turning over this entire thing (yet again) doesn’t-bode-well. Wasn’t our NIL program dialed in, facilitates off the charts, fan support, NBA fast track etc etc. I KNEW Fred would be back, but without a foundation of Walker/Trey/Bryce it looks like nothing other than more false hope.

I have not seen this, is it posted some where.  Two of the recruits for this class said it has no effect on them.  The big one would be Keita if he changes his mind.  We NEED a big.

10 minutes ago, colhusker said:

I do follow and yet I had to double check to see if he was a follow Spartan when his name popped up.

Lol...ah yes, a hidden gem.  He was a pretty darn good as well.

https://germanhoops.com/2019/06/23/sam-griesel-is-the-nebraska-kid-with-the-german-connection/

Edited by Huskerpapa

29 minutes ago, colhusker said:

I have not seen this, is it posted some where.  Two of the recruits for this class said it has no effect on them.  The big one would be Keita if he changes his mind.  We NEED a big.

Dawson and Lawrence say it's not going to affect their decision. The other two said they'll have to review their options.

9 hours ago, Handy Johnson said:

I guess that depends on how you want to look at it. I think there are 7-8 players that were in the program that will be back next year. Maybe more. That's a lot more stable than we've seen so far. The problem is that most of those players weren't in the rotation... I think we're still looking at 5, maybe 6, new players coming into the program, which is a lot, but seems to be more closer to the norm across college basketball lately with all the transfers that happen now. I don't think the sky is falling in that regard.