Jump to content

2022 PG Cale Jacobsen


Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, basketballjones said:

Unless he's turned off by the "you didn't believe in me," aspect of it. Then yeah. 

But I'd sure like to see how he compares to Quaran McPherson - wouldn't you? 

 

Not as a true freshman.  The talent gap from Nebraska C-1 to B1G is enormous.  It'll take him time to get caught up to speed anyway, so  might as well do that while logging minutes in the Summit League.  And as for the "you didn't believe in me" aspect, that actually would play in Nebraska's favor.  At least we respected him enough to give him a roster spot, even if not a scholarship.  That's more than any other major conference school can say.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, Cowboy Kermit said:


Seems to be trending towards Cale accepting the PWO offer regardless of what happens with Baylor.

 

Interesting.  I still think I'd prefer to stash him in the Summit League for two years, then take him as an upperclassmen transfer if he developed into a decent player.  Just don't see him getting the same chance at playing time, and thus the chance to develop, as a PWO freshman for us.  Perhaps getting more local kids with buy-in (plus Gary who looks like he would give 100% anywhere) will create a more resilient team overall though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 
Interesting.  I still think I'd prefer to stash him in the Summit League for two years, then take him as an upperclassmen transfer if he developed into a decent player.  Just don't see him getting the same chance at playing time, and thus the chance to develop, as a PWO freshman for us.  Perhaps getting more local kids with buy-in (plus Gary who looks like he would give 100% anywhere) will create a more resilient team overall though.

Don’t think he’ll get the chance to play like Charlie Easley did but I wouldn’t be surprised if the recruiting pitch for the PWO involves saying he could end up like Charlie. Get to develop with high level coaches, practice against high level players, work your ass off, and then maybe a Summit League school comes calling for a transfer later on down the road. Cale and Charlie are somewhat similar players and both didn’t get the offers they wanted out of high school due to questions about measurables and athleticism.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, aphilso1 said:

 

Interesting.  I still think I'd prefer to stash him in the Summit League for two years, then take him as an upperclassmen transfer if he developed into a decent player.  Just don't see him getting the same chance at playing time, and thus the chance to develop, as a PWO freshman for us.  Perhaps getting more local kids with buy-in (plus Gary who looks like he would give 100% anywhere) will create a more resilient team overall though.

This is kind of where I end up with some of these kids.  Would a lot of the good mid major kids be good if they were riding the pine at a higher level school?  Or does the valuable experience they get playing at a lower level allow them to develop?  I actually lean toward the latter.  It is much easier to get better at things with experience actually doing said things.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, busticket said:

This is kind of where I end up with some of these kids.  Would a lot of the good mid major kids be good if they were riding the pine at a higher level school?  Or does the valuable experience they get playing at a lower level allow them to develop?  I actually lean toward the latter.  It is much easier to get better at things with experience actually doing said things.

Kind of like all the minor leagues in baseball.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I like this a lot. Kid is betting on himself and wants to play for NU and change the culture- the culture that Baylor said we are still building and CU already has. Even if Cale doesn’t play much, he can impact the team in immeasurable ways with attitude and work ethic. I want guys here that want to be here. 

Edited by Faux Mike Peltz
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hell yes.

 

People, Washut included, are saying Cale’s ceiling is Charlie Easley. Couldn’t disagree more. And that’s not a knock on Easley or saying Cale is a world better. 
 

I think Cale has a better athletic profile physically that Easley or a Trevor Menke. I think he’s a bit taller, more explosive, and longer.
 

I also think he’s a different player than those guy. I think Menke and Easley were more scorers who played point guard for their hs team because they’re the best player. And I don’t think that translates well at all from Class B to P5-D1 Basketball. In my opinion Cale is much more a traditional point guard who is equally adept at scoring as those guys, but significantly more capable of facilitating for others and being a ball controller. I think physically he’ll be able to guard better, also. 
 

He’s also got a lot of shit in his neck. And that’s my highest level of compliment for a competitor. 

Edited by basketballjones
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Wow...one heck-of-a Kentucky Derby...

Those of us who have watched this kid play are pretty darn ecstatic with this announcement.  I am not going to predict stardom; but I will predict that he will be a viable member of our team.  He is a 6'4" point guard.  He defends, he can shoot, he is a scorer; but most importantly he will work hard and make his teammates better.

All that said...he has to earn his time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Could be a nice under-the-radar get.  He has good positional size and flashes decent athleticism, if not explosiveness, and he WANTS to be a Husker, which is a quality that is desperately needed on the team, but hard to quantify.   

 

I know most of the Summit League teams and a couple of MVC schools were sniffing around, but did he have any D-1 offers? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, HuscurAdam said:

Could be a nice under-the-radar get.  He has good positional size and flashes decent athleticism, if not explosiveness, and he WANTS to be a Husker, which is a quality that is desperately needed on the team, but hard to quantify.   

 

I know most of the Summit League teams and a couple of MVC schools were sniffing around, but did he have any D-1 offers? 

Had offers from Holy Cross and North Dakota.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Cale is the type of player who could have been one of those guys: the guy Nebraska doesn't pursue, who then develops into an all-everything player at some mid- to low-major school, and then everyone condemns the coaching staff for missing such an obvious possibility.

So . . . here's hoping Cale is that guy!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Swan88 said:

Cale is the type of player who could have been one of those guys: the guy Nebraska doesn't pursue, who then develops into an all-everything player at some mid- to low-major school, and then everyone condemns the coaching staff for missing such an obvious possibility.

So . . . here's hoping Cale is that guy!

He also could be a guy like Charlie Easley who mostly rides the bench here and then transfers to a Summit school for more playing time. I think Cale has more upside, but he also probably doesn't going to make it on the court next season, barring injuries or during mop-up time of blowouts. Charlie got playing time on a really weak roster, Cale faces a bigger uphill battle to get on the floor.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I can see him playing next year.  A lot of his competition is young and unknown.  Cale simply being better at making good basketball plays than most of them is within the range of outcomes in my mind.  Sort of a Thor effect, if you will.  I say this because I think I know that him playing with an edge and playing hard are almost locks to happen.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, royalfan said:

I can see him playing next year.  A lot of his competition is young and unknown.  Cale simply being better at making good basketball plays than most of them is within the range of outcomes in my mind.  Sort of a Thor effect, if you will.  I say this because I think I know that him playing with an edge and playing hard are almost locks to happen.  

 

I hope that you and @basketballjones are right, particularly because I see a gaping hole at the PG position for us.  I still think a couple years of major playing time at a Summit League school would be better for his development, but will be happy to eat crow if he makes the rotation for us this year.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm excited to have an in-state player who had Division I offers decide to walk-on at Nebraska.

Cale is closer to 6'2" than 6'4".  He's shorter than Kwat Abdelkarim, who was listed at 6'3".  Watched him play for the Nebraska Supreme team and he really struggled against length. Lots of turnovers. It will definitely take him time to get used to the length and athleticism in college. He appears to have decent straight line speed and vertical athleticism, but really lacks any lateral quickness. A slow-twitch athlete. He does have good size and legit Big Ten strength for a point guard. Seems like people will disagree with this, but his lack of motor was the biggest thing I noticed.  

If we're comparing him to Charlie Easley, Charlie obviously isn't going to dunk on anyone but he is a quick-twitch athlete with real lateral quickness and has always had a constant motor. All of which allowed him to get significant playing time at Nebraska. Cale is much stronger than Charlie, and I believe has a better feel for creating for others. Charlie was an elite three point shooter in high school, which didn't translate to the Big Ten level. But he is again a great three point shooter in the Summit League. Cale shot 30% from three as a senior in high school. Has a pretty nice stroke but a slow release that won't translate to a higher level. Cale shot above 60% from the field due to his size, strength and competition level. With Cale, I see a very good NAIA or Division III player.  Just my honest assessment of him at this time. FWIW, I didn't think Sam Griesel would ever be a Power 5 player coming out of high school. He is going to prove me wrong this year. I'm glad to have them both on the roster.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, aphilso1 said:

 

I hope that you and @basketballjones are right, particularly because I see a gaping hole at the PG position for us.  I still think a couple years of major playing time at a Summit League school would be better for his development, but will be happy to eat crow if he makes the rotation for us this year.

Here's the problem....

I DON'T see him playing next year. But, that shows an unwillingness to accept the realities of NCAA D1 basketball, on my end. Those of you who are, or have been, advocating for these kids to go the Griesel route are probably correct. Play right away and get that gratification/experience if you're good enough - then pick your spot with a P5 conference team when the time comes. 

When I'm making my argument for these in-state kids, I understand I have a pretty serious flaw in my argument - and that's the fact that pretty much all of these kids want to play right away and want instant gratification. No one wants to stay around until their Junior year and finally start playing anymore. Understandable. Only get one life and one shot at this, might as well be somewhere you can actually play. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, aphilso1 said:

 

I hope that you and @basketballjones are right, particularly because I see a gaping hole at the PG position for us.  I still think a couple years of major playing time at a Summit League school would be better for his development, but will be happy to eat crow if he makes the rotation for us this year.

 

To be clear, I see a pretty wide range of outcomes with him.  I see part of that range is him playing for us next year.  I don't necessarily think that means it is a great situation for the Huskers chances of success if that happens though, as it means some if the younger guys are not getting it done.  I can say that I differ with you on wishing he went to the summit first, although I understand the point.  It is far from a lock that we would get him back if he ends up being really good.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, millerhusker said:

I'm excited to have an in-state player who had Division I offers decide to walk-on at Nebraska.

Cale is closer to 6'2" than 6'4".  He's shorter than Kwat Abdelkarim, who was listed at 6'3".  Watched him play for the Nebraska Supreme team and he really struggled against length. Lots of turnovers. It will definitely take him time to get used to the length and athleticism in college. He appears to have decent straight line speed and vertical athleticism, but really lacks any lateral quickness. A slow-twitch athlete. He does have good size and legit Big Ten strength for a point guard. Seems like people will disagree with this, but his lack of motor was the biggest thing I noticed.  

If we're comparing him to Charlie Easley, Charlie obviously isn't going to dunk on anyone but he is a quick-twitch athlete with real lateral quickness and has always had a constant motor. All of which allowed him to get significant playing time at Nebraska. Cale is much stronger than Charlie, and I believe has a better feel for creating for others. Charlie was an elite three point shooter in high school, which didn't translate to the Big Ten level. But he is again a great three point shooter in the Summit League. Cale shot 30% from three as a senior in high school. Has a pretty nice stroke but a slow release that won't translate to a higher level. Cale shot above 60% from the field due to his size, strength and competition level. With Cale, I see a very good NAIA or Division III player.  Just my honest assessment of him at this time. FWIW, I didn't think Sam Griesel would ever be a Power 5 player coming out of high school. He is going to prove me wrong this year. I'm glad to have them both on the roster.

I will say that without a doubt you are giving a fair analysis. Probably the "worst case scenario" analysis, but fair nonetheless. 

Only thing I guess I'd disagree with you on is motor...? I have never seen that as an issue. Is your experience with him mostly watching Neb Supreme? And from this last summer? Just curious... as I would have some push-back on your analysis if so. 

Also, I'm a solid 6'2" - and he is clearly taller than me. So maybe he grew a bit? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...