2022 PG Cale Jacobsen -> Nebraska

4 hours ago, millerhusker said:

I'm excited to have an in-state player who had Division I offers decide to walk-on at Nebraska.

Cale is closer to 6'2" than 6'4".  He's shorter than Kwat Abdelkarim, who was listed at 6'3".  Watched him play for the Nebraska Supreme team and he really struggled against length. Lots of turnovers. It will definitely take him time to get used to the length and athleticism in college. He appears to have decent straight line speed and vertical athleticism, but really lacks any lateral quickness. A slow-twitch athlete. He does have good size and legit Big Ten strength for a point guard. Seems like people will disagree with this, but his lack of motor was the biggest thing I noticed.  

If we're comparing him to Charlie Easley, Charlie obviously isn't going to dunk on anyone but he is a quick-twitch athlete with real lateral quickness and has always had a constant motor. All of which allowed him to get significant playing time at Nebraska. Cale is much stronger than Charlie, and I believe has a better feel for creating for others. Charlie was an elite three point shooter in high school, which didn't translate to the Big Ten level. But he is again a great three point shooter in the Summit League. Cale shot 30% from three as a senior in high school. Has a pretty nice stroke but a slow release that won't translate to a higher level. Cale shot above 60% from the field due to his size, strength and competition level. With Cale, I see a very good NAIA or Division III player.  Just my honest assessment of him at this time. FWIW, I didn't think Sam Griesel would ever be a Power 5 player coming out of high school. He is going to prove me wrong this year. I'm glad to have them both on the roster.

‘Thanks for the info. I was wondering how he faired in AAU ball and at what level they played on the circuit. I thought his shot was a concern as well but had not seen enough to really be sure

Nothing against Cale, but if he's playing next year then it means Nebraska is probably only going to win ten games. 

He's a nice walk on. I watched him play in the C1 Title Game. Looks like a smooth athlete but as stated, wasn't quick twitch. Didn't really stand out athletically in that C1 game. I didn't know how tall he was during the game and hearing people say he could come to Nebraska I was hoping he was 6'6 or something, not sub 6'4 which he likely is.

Hope he turns out to be a diamond in the rough walk on for Nebraska. But put me into the group that sees him transferring out after a couple of years and playing at a lower level.

https://247sports.com/college/nebraska/Article/Nebraska-Huskers-basketball-walk-on-Cale-Jacobsen-187435150/

Helping lead his high school program to the Class C-1 state title in March, the 6-4 Jacobsen averaged 17.7 points, 6.1 assists, 5.8 rebounds and 4.0 steals per game this past season, being named the Nebraska Basketball Coaches Association Player of the Year in the process.

I had to check that, and he actually was the NBCA player of the year, over Traudt and Green. Not sure how they decide that. 

Edited by Chuck Taylor
Add link

On 5/10/2022 at 10:49 AM, basketballjones said:

I will say that without a doubt you are giving a fair analysis. Probably the "worst case scenario" analysis, but fair nonetheless. 

Only thing I guess I'd disagree with you on is motor...? I have never seen that as an issue. Is your experience with him mostly watching Neb Supreme? And from this last summer? Just curious... as I would have some push-back on your analysis if so. 

Also, I'm a solid 6'2" - and he is clearly taller than me. So maybe he grew a bit? 

Yep, just from watching Neb Supreme. Last summer and the summer/fall before his junior season. I know it's not fair to judge a player's motor on summer league games. I just expected to see a kid fighting tooth and nail for the D1 offers he talked about wanting. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt going forward though. 

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
On 5/7/2022 at 6:27 PM, Huskerpapa said:

Wow...one heck-of-a Kentucky Derby...

Those of us who have watched this kid play are pretty darn ecstatic with this announcement.  I am not going to predict stardom; but I will predict that he will be a viable member of our team.  He is a 6'4" point guard.  He defends, he can shoot, he is a scorer; but most importantly he will work hard and make his teammates better.

All that said...he has to earn his time.

There were a few of us willing to stick our necks out, saying he is a player.  

Hope he continues to stay healthy abd develop. 

• hhcmatt changed the title to 2022 PG Cale Jacobsen -> Nebraska