2022 PG Cale Jacobsen -> Nebraska

34 minutes ago, Navin R. Johnson said:

What exactly goes with a preferred walk-on offer?  Is there a promise of a future scholarship?  What does a preferred walk-on receive that a regular walk-on does not?

It means you were asked to walk on, but presumably no guarantees of anything.

5958BC09-ED29-4F20-85E8-EBF24D750F2A.jpe

Easley was preferred, IIRC.

24 minutes ago, Swan88 said:

It's apparently a real thing, according to the internet (which is never wrong):

"The preferred walk-on has actually been recruited by the coach who generally has offered the player a spot on the roster. The player isn’t offered any scholarship money as a freshman but there is the possibility in the future."

Charlie Easley comes to mind immediately, he earned one fairly soon.

Lived in Ashland for over 4 years - just moved 6 months ago. Had a chance to watch Cale as a sophomore and followed him as best I could the past couple of years. Really good kid and has developed more physically than I thought he would. He's a very good basketball player but unfortunately, competition level has to be a consideration.

My concerns would be quickness, not only defensively but also in getting his shot off. Last time I saw him, the release on his outside shot was rather slow. I get it, we all want Nebraska kids on the roster and as a role player/culture guy off the bench, I'm all for it. Just my opinion, he is not an impact player at the high major level. I would think he would be a great fit at Wayne State or similar school.

25 minutes ago, Swan88 said:

So . . . here's a question I've always wondered about.

Let's say a kid earns a Regents Scholarship to the University and walks on to the football or basketball team.

Does his Scholarship count against the limit of scholarship players?

The rule used to be, and may still be, that if the player was actively recruited before enrolling, yes it counts against the limit.  But, if someone enrolls and then tries out for a team, then it does not.  For example, Bronson Schliep attended UNL on academic scholarships but did not count against the limit.

1 hour ago, Dead Dog Alley said:

The rule used to be, and may still be, that if the player was actively recruited before enrolling, yes it counts against the limit.  But, if someone enrolls and then tries out for a team, then it does not.  For example, Bronson Schliep attended UNL on academic scholarships but did not count against the limit.

Volleyball has had 2 players on regent and academic scholarships and I don't believe they counted.

On 3/25/2022 at 3:35 PM, demone said:

Lived in Ashland for over 4 years - just moved 6 months ago. Had a chance to watch Cale as a sophomore and followed him as best I could the past couple of years. Really good kid and has developed more physically than I thought he would. He's a very good basketball player but unfortunately, competition level has to be a consideration.

My concerns would be quickness, not only defensively but also in getting his shot off. Last time I saw him, the release on his outside shot was rather slow. I get it, we all want Nebraska kids on the roster and as a role player/culture guy off the bench, I'm all for it. Just my opinion, he is not an impact player at the high major level. I would think he would be a great fit at Wayne State or similar school.

IMO he's a better athlete and has a better body for development, and is just as smart/hard working as Charlie Easley. And he played a little here and has semi-starting role at SDSU. I think this can work if both parties give it time. 

• 2 weeks later...

I hear through family connection that he pry wants to play right away.  I don't know exactly how dialed in this person is but am guessing he goes to low D1 or likely D2 on scholarship.  In a signal that goes against that grain slightly, I don't think paying for school is an issue.  Parents want him to go where he wants to go from what I was told.  Again, I don't have a tremendous feel for how dialed in this person is, but thought I would pass along anyway.  

On 4/14/2022 at 9:09 AM, Huskerpapa said:

After reading that update, my gut tells me he really, really, really wants to come to NU. Seems aware that NU has all the resources and people to turn him into the player he wants to be, while cashing in potentially sweet money in NIL (much better than anywhere else in P5, let alone the Summit League). But he's weighing the ideas of getting school paid for and contributing early, developing by playing - then maybe earning a scholarship later in his career after a transfer, i.e., Sam Griesel. 

35 minutes ago, basketballjones said:

After reading that update, my gut tells me he really, really, really wants to come to NU. Seems aware that NU has all the resources and people to turn him into the player he wants to be, while cashing in potentially sweet money in NIL (much better than anywhere else in P5, let alone the Summit League). But he's weighing the ideas of getting school paid for and contributing early, developing by playing - then maybe earning a scholarship later in his career after a transfer, i.e., Sam Griesel. 

At this point I'd almost rather him go to NoDak.  If he turns out to be a stud in the Summit League, it seems pretty likely that he'd transfer and we'd be a serious contender for his upperclassman years.  If he doesn't develop into a difference maker in the Summit, then he likely wouldn't ever see the floor for DONU anyway.  Better early development opportunity for him, plus low risk/high reward for us.  Win-win, no?

12 minutes ago, aphilso1 said:

At this point I'd almost rather him go to NoDak.  If he turns out to be a stud in the Summit League, it seems pretty likely that he'd transfer and we'd be a serious contender for his upperclassman years.  If he doesn't develop into a difference maker in the Summit, then he likely wouldn't ever see the floor for DONU anyway.  Better early development opportunity for him, plus low risk/high reward for us.  Win-win, no?

Unless he's turned off by the "you didn't believe in me," aspect of it. Then yeah. 

But I'd sure like to see how he compares to Quaran McPherson - wouldn't you? 

Edited by basketballjones