2022 PG Cale Jacobsen -> Nebraska

Got the chance to watch him play all 3 games at state and came away impressed. He's very unselfish as witnessed by his dishing off for game/state championship-winning 3 by Shepherd. Didn't seem to force things and still set C-1 record with 43 in semi's versus Kearney Catholic. A muscular kid at 6'4" and did show good 3 point range. Definitely  worth taking a look at. 

Can Cip confirm his dad is from Hampton and played on teams in late 80's? 

• Huskerpapa changed the title to 2022 PG Cale Jacobsen
1 hour ago, roscoe said:

Got the chance to watch him play all 3 games at state and came away impressed. He's very unselfish as witnessed by his dishing off for game/state championship-winning 3 by Shepherd. Didn't seem to force things and still set C-1 record with 43 in semi's versus Kearney Catholic. A muscular kid at 6'4" and did show good 3 point range. Definitely  worth taking a look at. 

Can Cip confirm his dad is from Hampton and played on teams in late 80's? 

His dad graduated from Hampton High but is actually from Marquette.  He transferred because Marquette was running out of students by then.  He played in the 1990 state championship game, where they lost to Falls City Sacred Heart.  (I believe that was the game where the TV play by play guy, who I think was the 10/11 sports anchor, uttered the classic: "Here's Dick: he's a little short" when Mark Dick short rimmed a free throw.)

The Shephard kid that he passed it to for the winning shot also had a dad that lost in the finals (for Elmwood, they lost in 1985 to McCool Junction), so that was a bit unique.

13 hours ago, basketballjones said:

I love Cale. I truly don’t understand what others aren’t seeing. 

I agree.  I don't believe there is any doubt that he could play well at this level.  My only question would be if he has the quicks to defend point guards.  

17 minutes ago, Huskerpapa said:

I agree.  I don't believe there is any doubt that he could play well at this level.  My only question would be if he has the quicks to defend point guards.  

Maybe not quite yet, but does he have the drive to better those quicks?  If so, that can easily be improved upon.  If Paul Mulcahy can defend at this level, I bet he could too.

4 minutes ago, uneblinstu said:

With all the roster movement happening, I’d have to think there’s room to get this kid on board*. I think it would do the program a lot of good on a lot of fronts. 

*I say this with the caveat that I’ve never seen the kid play, just going off what I’ve heard from several others. 

To be fair, technically there's only been 1 guy officially entered the portal. Lloyd looks to be out though. 

On 3/17/2022 at 9:42 AM, Huskerpapa said:

I am not certain of that either, but what I am certain about is that he has the competitive spirit that would give him the best shot to do so.  

On 3/16/2022 at 7:46 PM, Dead Dog Alley said:

His dad graduated from Hampton High but is actually from Marquette.  He transferred because Marquette was running out of students by then.  He played in the 1990 state championship game, where they lost to Falls City Sacred Heart.  (I believe that was the game where the TV play by play guy, who I think was the 10/11 sports anchor, uttered the classic: "Here's Dick: he's a little short" when Mark Dick short rimmed a free throw.)

The Shephard kid that he passed it to for the winning shot also had a dad that lost in the finals (for Elmwood, they lost in 1985 to McCool Junction), so that was a bit unique.

Good answer!  I never check the recruiting forum because it hasn't mattered one bit to the success of Husker basketball.  No idea why I clicked on it today....

Nice to see Hampton basketball in a conversation, though. 

I know everyone wants Nebraska kids on the roster, but I'd chill on this one. I mentioned seeing Drake's coach watching him at the state tourney but they haven't offered. As far I know, he doesn't have a D-1 offer and just tweeted a couple of weeks ago that Wayne State had offered. Should know more in a few weeks if others are seeing him as a high major D-1 player.

Edited by Chuck Taylor
PS

15 hours ago, cipsucks said:

Good answer!  I never check the recruiting forum because it hasn't mattered one bit to the success of Husker basketball.  No idea why I clicked on it today....

Nice to see Hampton basketball in a conversation, though. 

I know his father pretty well. Brad's a really good dude who is in admin. at Ashland Greenwood Schools. They have an awesome family, and I'd love to root on Cale at NU!