Sunday evenings NCAA pep rally....

whoopdeedoo

Yep, we got hosed a bit n the seeding, compared to other that got the 6 of 7 seeds. Particularly the 7's

Did a little review of Gonzaga.

The game will be the real deal. They did real well in their conference. Have good players. Good stats, BYU (#15) beat them twice in league play, then Zags beat them in their league tourney. Stanford beat them twice.

They have multiple international players...one Aussie. Their big is 6-5. 

Have several 6-1, 6-2, 6-3....good size, several scorers, but no Catlin Clark. Uses the 3 quite a bit but can score multiple ways. They play 7-8 player roster usually.

Known to be a real good defensive team. Use multiple defenses... man ...and a zone...which we have issues with.

Common opponent is Wyoming. They won by 6...we won by 9

Hard to tell how we'll do, other than we played in a better conference. We'll need a complete game effort. And full bore defense. it should be close. 

Eliminate 1-2 more of those bad losses and we may have been seeded better. Unfortunately the seeding committee doesn’t take into account scandals resulting in losses to bottom tier Big 10 teams.

In terms of the game, I think I’d rather play Louisville as a 1 seed than Baylor as a 2.  So the draw isn’t terrible.  It presents more of a challenge in game 1, but less in game 2 if we’d make it.  (Both will be big challenges though).

What Husker team shows up?  If it’s the one that beat Michigan twice, Indiana once etc, we’ve got a chance to make it out of Louisville.  If it’s the one that showed up against PSU, or one that’s is struggling shooting/finding a bucket, we could get bounced right away.

I think it’s the former, we’ve been playing too good to go home game 1.  But it won’t be easy.

We haven't yet demonstrated the ability to play a true road game even close to how we play at home.  That is somewhat understandable with a young team.  This is new territory for us and we will learn a lot about ourselves and what it takes to get to the next step which in my mind is a top 4 seed in the NCAA.  

13 hours ago, whoopdeedoo said:

didn't think they would drop to an 8, but, I've seen enough selection shows where one shouldn't be shocked. 

haven't seen Zags play, but, i would think 8/9 is more often a toss up.

well..........97.3theticket "early morning" came right out and said it "Nebraska got screwed"!

Not surprised at that.  Coatney alluded to that this AM on 1400 KLIN saying that Gonzaga was probably undervalued as a 9.  I know he isn't sometimes "perfectly objective" but I know they have a pretty competitive program and often show up in the tourney, and they won their conf tourney against BYU, a 6 seed.  But you're right the pics never go as one thinks they ought.  Gonna be a really tough battle.  Haven't checked their schedule results yet but you've done something right to go 26-6 and win a tourney title.

I agree with that a bad loss (PSU) hurt our seeding in the tourney. Also 8-9 games are toss up mostly. We will have out hands full. I did watch Louisville play earlier this year and then can flat out bury you quickly if they get going. So provided we get by Gonzaga it will be a tall order to take them down at home.

1 hour ago, All About the Corn said:

I agree with that a bad loss (PSU) hurt our seeding in the tourney. Also 8-9 games are toss up mostly. We will have out hands full. I did watch Louisville play earlier this year and then can flat out bury you quickly if they get going. So provided we get by Gonzaga it will be a tall order to take them down at home.

did watch a few louisville games. 3 i think it was. they did have one game where they really struggled (which the top rated go through at some point) but, you are correct........they can bury you pretty quick. playing them at home is a pretty tough mountain to climb.

Eight-seeded Nebraska, headed to the Louisville subregional, will play ninth-seeded Gonzaga at 2:30 p.m. on ESPNews. If NU wins they'll almost certainly play No. 1 Louisville, which plays its first-round game on ESPN2 at 5. John Brickley and Meghan McKeown are on the call for all the games in the Louisville subregional; McKeown, a Big Ten Network analyst, has called several of NU's games this season. 

Edited by whoopdeedoo

Pre-Gonzaga Game Press Conference (27:14)
Closed-captions help a little with the questions being asked, (but not much; they're truncated and seem to lag)

Coach Williams: to 11:00
Jaz Shelley @ 12:02
'I like to win' Alexis Markowski @ 19:40 "I think we match up really well with them' Instead of the old adage 'Survive and Advance' I think we want to 'Attack and Dominate'
Sam Haiby @ 23:25