2022 March Madness

2 hours ago, Chuck Taylor said:

Really? A 16, a 9, a 4 and a 2 is pretty much exactly what you'd expect.

1 seeds are supposed to get easier paths than 8 seeds like NC.

Yeah I guess it just seems like the seas parted for them though.

And that's a wrap. Here's how the conferences performed in the tournament:

Rank Conference Teams Remaining Wins Losses Pct
1 MAAC 1 0 3 1 75%
2 ACC 5 0 14 5 74%
3 Big 12 6 1 13 5 72%
4 American Athletic 2 0 4 2 67%
5 Pac-12 3 0 4 3 57%
6 Big East 6 0 7 6 54%
7 Big Ten 9 0 9 9 50%
8 Horizon League 1 0 1 1 50%
9 Ohio Valley 1 0 1 1 50%
10 SWAC 1 0 1 1 50%
11 WAC 1 0 1 1 50%
12 West Coast 3 0 3 3 50%
13 SEC 6 0 5 6 45%
14 Atlantic 10 2 0 1 2 33%
15 America East 1 0 0 1 0%
16 ASUN 1 0 0 1 0%
17 Big Sky 1 0 0 1 0%
18 Big South 1 0 0 1 0%
19 Big West 1 0 0 1 0%
20 CAA 1 0 0 1 0%
21 Conference USA 1 0 0 1 0%
22 Ivy League 1 0 0 1 0%
23 MAC 1 0 0 1 0%
24 MEAC 1 0 0 1 0%
25 Missouri Valley 1 0 0 1 0%
26 Mountain West 4 0 0 4 0%
27 Northeast 1 0 0 1 0%
28 Patriot League 1 0 0 1 0%
29 Southern 1 0 0 1 0%
30 Southland 1 0 0 1 0%
31 Summit League 1 0 0 1 0%
32 Sun Belt 1 0 0 1 0%

1 hour ago, kldm64 said:

Their fan base is actually pretty awesome.  Try going to a game at Allen Fieldhouse and you might think differently.  Don't get a much better college basketball atmosphere than that!!!

Went down to Lawrence the year that Nebraska played there. It was an amazing experience even with a blowout, couldn't imagine what that place would have been like on a big game day.

6 minutes ago, Shawn Eichorst's Toupee said:

Went down to Lawrence the year that Nebraska played there. It was an amazing experience even with a blowout, couldn't imagine what that place would have been like on a big game day.

I was at that game as well.  Been to Allen Fieldhouse for a few other games as well and they get a packed house no matter who they are playing.  It is very impressive.  Wish NU fanbase was more like that.  It's hard to not like KU once you've been to a home game there.  It is truly a special place.

57 minutes ago, kldm64 said:

I was at that game as well.  Been to Allen Fieldhouse for a few other games as well and they get a packed house no matter who they are playing.  It is very impressive.  Wish NU fanbase was more like that.  It's hard to not like KU once you've been to a home game there.  It is truly a special place.

I was there also.  KU fans commented on Phog.net after that game that they hadn't ever seen a bigger (or louder) opponent fan presence in Allen than ours was that day.

But I will say, I came away from that place feeling pretty meh about the experience honestly.  The place is a dump and PBA gets easily as loud as Allen when it's at it's best (no-sit Sunday anyone?)

I think that Allen is a whole lot like Memorial Stadium in that a lot of its mystique is tied in to the long tradition of winning and success.  If it weren't for that it's not really that great of a place.  Same as Memorial, and honestly Memorial is kind of a dump too.  But it's *our* dump and we love it.  It's okay if we're the only ones though.  They love their dump and that's okay.  Doesn't mean I or anyone else has to.

And, I went back there a few years later when they played Colorado, just because I wanted to get a more unbiased look at the place and atmosphere and I gotta say it was even less impressive to me that time.

I don't get the whole reverence that folks place on these sports arenas.  They're just places.  Fun to visit, but let's not go overboard on 'em.  Kansas fans love to puff themselves up about how great Allen is, but I gotta say to me it's just another barn with hoops.

1 hour ago, 49r said:

I was there also.  KU fans commented on Phog.net after that game that they hadn't ever seen a bigger (or louder) opponent fan presence in Allen than ours was that day.

But I will say, I came away from that place feeling pretty meh about the experience honestly.  The place is a dump and PBA gets easily as loud as Allen when it's at it's best (no-sit Sunday anyone?)

I think that Allen is a whole lot like Memorial Stadium in that a lot of its mystique is tied in to the long tradition of winning and success.  If it weren't for that it's not really that great of a place.  Same as Memorial, and honestly Memorial is kind of a dump too.  But it's *our* dump and we love it.  It's okay if we're the only ones though.  They love their dump and that's okay.  Doesn't mean I or anyone else has to.

And, I went back there a few years later when they played Colorado, just because I wanted to get a more unbiased look at the place and atmosphere and I gotta say it was even less impressive to me that time.

I don't get the whole reverence that folks place on these sports arenas.  They're just places.  Fun to visit, but let's not go overboard on 'em.  Kansas fans love to puff themselves up about how great Allen is, but I gotta say to me it's just another barn with hoops.

Man, I gotta disagree. Been there a couple times and I love it. Classic hoops, could feel the history and tradition.

5 hours ago, kldm64 said:

Their fan base is actually pretty awesome.  Try going to a game at Allen Fieldhouse and you might think differently.  Don't get a much better college basketball atmosphere than that!!!

I live in KC they are assholes and allen field house is a dump. I went to Husker game there the year they won the title.

2 hours ago, 49r said:

In the early 80’s I coached about 35 miles from Lawrence and was able to slip down for weeknight games after practice.  Ted Owens was nearing the end of his tenure and tickets were available.  I was able to sit in the student section which may have influenced my love of Allen Field House. It is far better than the sterile newer arenas.  Now the old Mike Ahern Field House at K-State was a barn but still a great environment.  IMO the Phog is the best College BB arena.

I worked at KU for four years (2009-2013) and shared season tickets with other KU faculty. It was a special experience nearly every time, but the biggest problem — shared with Nebraska's Memorial Stadium — was the girth of 21st-century Midwesterners compared to those from the mid-'50s, when Allen Fieldhouse was built. If you sat in a row with a few children, you might get lucky. We shared a row with all of Humboldt, Kansas, I believe, and the only way for everybody to fit was to stand — sideways.

My goodness, it was uncomfortable.

FWIW, I rooted for KU then against everybody except for Nebraska. I had a job to keep, after all. I've come to generally loathe the Jayhawks since, mostly because I'm jealous of their success.