2022 March Madness

Some random thoughts about the conference thus far:

The B1G has acquitted itself quit well thus far.

I'm not rahrahing the B1G, but this is an instance where mutual goals align for the majority of teams to make it out of the 1st round. One, it's a justification why 9 teams made it. Two, more money for the conference.

Many here probably already know this, but there is a lot of crossover between Iowa and Creighton fans.

I'm running a little experiment for the NCAA Tournament using Offensive and Defensive Efficiency.

I created a simple algorithm to pick winners.

For the 1st round it picked 20 out of 36 correctly.  I knew there would be an issue when a major conference played a lower level conference and there was. The formula picked way to many upsets. I plan on taking this forward through the rest of tournament.

Here is my hot take. Hunter Sallis will either transfer to Creighton or Nebraska after this season.

he's barely even in the rotation at gonzaga, and I think the NIL money at Creighton or Nebraska would be much better than whatever he's getting at gonzaga right now.

he would have started almost every game here and probably made way more in NIL money.

Edited by FredsSlacks

2 minutes ago, FredsSlacks said:

Here is my hot take. Hunter Sallis will either transfer to Creighton or Nebraska after this season.

he's barely even in the rotation at gonzaga, and I think the NIL money at Creighton or Nebraska would be much better than whatever he's getting at gonzaga right now.

What does Zaga lose after this year?  You want the better dancing chance, you go to CU.  You want the most NIL money, you go to NU.

3 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

What does Zaga lose after this year?  You want the better dancing chance, you go to CU.  You want the most NIL money, you go to NU.

idk, but he's only played 3 minutes in this game as a 5 star freshman. granted gonzaga is a top 5 program right now, I would still be concerned about my playing time if I was him.

We literally don't have a point guard right now, and he could make bank with NIL here. And Bryce is about to be a 1st rounder after playing 1 season here.

11 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

Zags lose entire backcourt.  Nembhard and Boltin are seniors and Strawther will probably go pro.  Even if he did transfer there is no way he would go to NU. 

6 hours ago, hhcmatt said:

I've heard Sallis to Creighton. If he wants to be closer to home, that makes sense. If he doesn't think he's going to start next year at Gonzaga, that's something else.

You would think he’d start next year with what they’re losing, but Spokane is definitely a long way from Omaha with a lot less to do. And that’s saying a lot haha. 

Edited by OmahaHusker

58 minutes ago, OmahaHusker said:

You would think he’d start next year with what they’re losing, but Spokane is definitely a long way from Omaha with a lot less to do. And that’s saying a lot haha. 

Not sure this rumor is much more than someone repeating stories about him being unhappy with his playing time. Worth noting that his family moved to Spokane, so that might make the decision less likely.

Jalen Suggs played lots of minutes last year as a freshman, so HS seemed to be slotted for that spot. But the minutes disappeared when they brought in Rasir Bolton from Iowa State and Julian Strawther blew up. Strawther had similar minutes to HS last year, so not sure it's as bleak as it seems. 

Edited by Chuck Taylor
PS

if i was sallis and seeing bryce mcgowens getting lottery hype after playing on an awful nebraska team, i'd be like why the heck didn't i just do that? rather than move halfway across the country to play 10 min a game and essentially get benched in the ncaa tournament.

Edited by FredsSlacks

Here's the conference results through 1/2 of the Second Round (Round of 32):

Rank Conference Teams Remaining Wins Losses Pct
1 MAAC 1 1 2 0 100%
2 Big 12 6 5 7 1 88%
3 ACC 5 4 6 1 86%
4 Pac-12 3 2 3 1 75%
5 Big Ten 9 6 8 3 73%
6 American Athletic 2 1 2 1 67%
7 West Coast 3 1 3 2 60%
8 Big East 6 2 4 4 50%
9 Horizon League 1 0 1 1 50%