2022 March Madness

2 hours ago, brfrad said:

Our RPI was 51.  At the moment, I was upset that we didn't make the big dance.  Looking back, we were probably a bubble team.  The thing that still upsets me is nearly missing the NIT.  There is no reason that we were sent on the road for the 1st round.  We should have been a 1 or 2 seed in the NIT at the very minimum. 

Things outside our control pretty much cost us. We had 0 quad 1 conf games at home, and we were really good at home. For comparison Rutgers had 7 quad 1 conf games in Piscataway this year. Makes it way easier to stack good wins. 

6 minutes ago, Huskerpapa said:

Wowser.  I couldn't agree more with his comments/opinion.  If bias plays a role, that needs to be ferreted out immediately!

March Madness brackets is already an imperfect system which doesn't include the best 64 teams. But many are willing to concede in that in exchange for (more) equal opportunities.

There's no way to completely eliminate bias. All situations are different and may require deeper analysis. But even if there's a magic formula, there's bias in the way that model was developed.

For every team that "deserves" to be in the tournament and makes the cut, there's another team like Texas A&M that "deserves" to be there. So until we have a 365 team bracket, there's grey area and people who are going to be upset.

All that said, there's always opportunity to improve the system.

That was amazing and really proud of that coach for saying something.  However, like you said, there's always going to be the "first four out" unless you include everyone.

Our 17-18 team deserved to be in the conversation.  100%.  You could have even made a case for us to dance.  But we didn't... and after seeing the first four out, it doesn't appear that we were even in the convo and that was the biggest issue I had.

Yeah, I am one of the few who believe there are WAY too many small schools in the tournament.  Small school novelty is not a reasonable exchange for Power 5 type teams that may have had a rough patch during a season that may currently keep them out.

Just one man's humble opinion. 

Give me a break.  Yeah A&M probably should have been the last team in but he wants all the people on the ncaa committee to come and talk to him like this his first year doing this? Talk about what, playing a soft non-con and losing to Missouri and South Carolina at home?

3 hours ago, brfrad said:

The other issue I have is what happened if we beat KU that year?  Do we make the dance?  Or, if we beat win at PSU and Illinois to go 15 - 3 in conference.   Do we make the dance? I have big doubts in both instances considering our NIT seed.

Nebraska's definitely in that scenario, if not then the Big Ten really hates us. They fought for Rutgers, for heaven's sake....

11 hours ago, brfrad said:

The other issue I have is what happened if we beat KU that year?  Do we make the dance?  Or, if we beat win at PSU and Illinois to go 15 - 3 in conference.   Do we make the dance? I have big doubts in both instances considering our NIT seed.

Losing to UCF in the holiday tournament was killer, too. Not just because they weren’t anything special, but also cost us two games vs quality competition. Really narrowed our margin for error, too. 

11 minutes ago, uneblinstu said:

Losing to UCF in the holiday tournament was killer, too. Not just because they weren’t anything special, but also cost us two games vs quality competition. Really narrowed our margin for error, too. 

Yep— the saying goes “you can only beat who is on your schedule” which we did for the most part in the Big 10.  We couldn’t control that schedule.  But the UCF loss really hurt our non con SOS based on the next few games.