Bryce McGowens's Legacy

uneblinstu

8 hours ago, MitchMcGaryMunchies said:

https://www.nba.com/hornets/videos/hornets-media-availability-mark-williams-and-bryce-mcgowens-6-24-22

First media availability...seems like the video is cut rather short though.  Also disappointed we couldn't teach Bryce how to properly curve a brim during his short stay in Lincoln.  WTF is that point?!?

Full video.  They did indeed give Bryce a bad mic 😑

Notes:

MJ called Mark Williams to congratulate him but has not yet spoken to Bryce 

Bryce does not look pleased that they gave Mark Williams his #5

13 hours ago, 49r said:

I can’t help but keep thinking that Hoiberg has cost Bryce millions.

How would it have gone if he had stayed with Florida St though? Seems likely he's in a platoon playing 20 mpg instead of starting and playing 30. Does he go higher in the draft in that scenario? In Nebraska he found a school that allowed him playing time and playing alongside his brother. 

Is McGowens a guy with another year in college who would work into the lottery or is he a guy like Ayo Dosunmu who's real good but is just destined to be a second round pick regardless of when he goes?

1 hour ago, hhcmatt said:

How would it have gone if he had stayed with Florida St though? Seems likely he's in a platoon playing 20 mpg instead of starting and playing 30. Does he go higher in the draft in that scenario? In Nebraska he found a school that allowed him playing time and playing alongside his brother. 

Is McGowens a guy with another year in college who would work into the lottery or is he a guy like Ayo Dosunmu who's real good but is just destined to be a second round pick regardless of when he goes?

I agree with this. Fred is still highly respected in NBA front offices and Nebraska players will get looks just because of his connections. I don’t think Dalano would’ve been a draft pick if he stayed another year at WKU or transferred to a place like, say, K-State. On the flip side, Hunter Sallis may have been a one and done player if he came to Nebraska (he was projected to be prior to the season). 

On 6/25/2022 at 10:35 AM, hhcmatt said:

Good questions.  I think with Bryce a lot is going to depend on how much weight he can put on and whether he can heighten the release on his jumper.  I don't think his numbers would've changed much from year to year in college, but I think his defensive physical readiness for the league would've gotten better.  You can't really quantify "staying in front of your man" easily but scouts watch that and I firmly believe his defense is what made him a second rounder.  Offensively, I just don't know if he can get his shot off in the league releasing it from his chest.  

I also thought Palmer would eventually make a roster as he was great on both ends (though only 6'5") so what do I know.  6'7" with Bryce's skills is a notable difference.  I thought he met expectations pretty well as a freshman so I'm guessing he'll figure it out.  

1 hour ago, Fullbacksympathy said:

Good questions.  I think with Bryce a lot is going to depend on how much weight he can put on and whether he can heighten the release on his jumper.  I don't think his numbers would've changed much from year to year in college, but I think his defensive physical readiness for the league would've gotten better.  You can't really quantify "staying in front of your man" easily but scouts watch that and I firmly believe his defense is what made him a second rounder.  Offensively, I just don't know if he can get his shot off in the league releasing it from his chest.  

I also thought Palmer would eventually make a roster as he was great on both ends (though only 6'5") so what do I know.  6'7" with Bryce's skills is a notable difference.  I thought he met expectations pretty well as a freshman so I'm guessing he'll figure it out.  

FWIW, in shoes Palmer measured in at 6'6", while Bryce was measured at 6'6.5".  Palmer's wingspan is 7'. Bryce's is 6'8.75". 

On 6/17/2022 at 5:00 PM, MitchMcGaryMunchies said:

Hornets (13/15/45) kicking the tires on Bryce today along with Branham and Beauchamp.  If they don't shop their picks, they're most likely selecting a wing and big in the first round to build around LaMelo.

Instead of taking that shooting guard with the 13th pick Charlotte apparently traded it to keep cap space open to re-sign Miles Bridges. They must have thought enough of Bryce once pick 40 came along.

On 6/26/2022 at 5:00 PM, millerhusker said:

FWIW, in shoes Palmer measured in at 6'6", while Bryce was measured at 6'6.5".  Palmer's wingspan is 7'. Bryce's is 6'8.75". 

Well this just furthers the mystery then.  Palmer likely has a higher release.  Maybe it's just an age thing as we had Palmer as a 5th year senior.  

One thing about Bryce though: elite free throw shooter.  That will help.  He manufactured a lot of points at the line.  

21 hours ago, hhcmatt said:

Instead of taking that shooting guard with the 13th pick Charlotte apparently traded it to keep cap space open to re-sign Miles Bridges. They must have thought enough of Bryce once pick 40 came along.

It's going to be very interesting if they decide to trade for Westbrook to clear room and let Rozier and Hayward go.  Then they can keep Ball and Bridges down the road.  I could see Bryce playing well with those dudes.  He should do nothing but shoot threes, gain strength, and practice defense.  

On 6/26/2022 at 7:06 PM, hhcmatt said:

I am wondering how this plays into the situation. 

https://www.cnn.com/2022/06/30/sport/miles-bridges-arrested-charlotte-hornets-spt-intl/index.html

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, busticket said:

Summer league stats for Bryce: 5 games, 14.6 ppg on 33.8% shooting.  Basically what he did here.

He is well ahead of Teddy’s blistering 14% shooting at least.

We all wish that Bryce had shot that 42.9% 3FG% when he was here at Nebraska.

Never would've guessed that Bryce would've shot the deep ball better than Ochai Agbaji.  NBA scouts are probably more surprised than we are.

• 3 weeks later...