Bryce McGowens's Legacy

uneblinstu

Bryce's legacy at Nebraska will be the Huskers' first one-and-done. He was a pretty salty competitor on the offensive end of the court who improved his defensive skills as the season waned. Wish he could play another for the Big Red, which, I suppose, is a big compliment to Bryce himself. I'm proud that he came to the heartland to better himself and his game, and the best part for him was likely that he could do so with his big bro Trey. Cool story all around. I'll remember him a long time.

*The only other that I can remotely think of as "one-and-done" for a Nebraska collegiate career is Tony Farmer, but it was only because he had only played *1 season for the Big Red.

And, Farmer -- the most appropriate surname for the Cornhuskers -- was, in fact, a JUNIOR after completing time at Artesia Juco, & prior to that, San Jose St. He was one year, one year, and one year at the collegiate level. Interestingly enough, Farmer competed professionally for around 23 years, including 5+ seasons in the NBA.

59 minutes ago, AuroranHusker said:

Bryce's legacy at Nebraska will be the Huskers' first one-and-done. He was a pretty salty competitor on the offensive end of the court who improved his defensive skills as the season waned. Wish he could play another for the Big Red, which, I suppose, is a big compliment to Bryce himself. I'm proud that he came to the heartland to better himself and his game, and the best part for him was likely that he could do so with his big bro Trey. Cool story all around. I'll remember him a long time.

*The only other that I can remotely think of as "one-and-done" for a Nebraska collegiate career is Tony Farmer, but it was only because he had only played *1 season for the Big Red.

And, Farmer -- the most appropriate surname for the Cornhuskers -- was, in fact, a JUNIOR after completing time at Artesia Juco, & prior to that, San Jose St. He was one year, one year, and one year at the collegiate level. Interestingly enough, Farmer competed professionally for around 23 years, including 5+ seasons in the NBA.

Farmer, Hoppen & Mikki Moore all played for the Golden State Warriors, obviously at different times though… Without looking it up I don’t think we’ve EVER had players drafted in Back-to-Back years.

1 minute ago, Handy Johnson said:

Farmer, Hoppen & Mikki Moore all played for the Golden State Warriors, obviously at different times though… Without looking it up I don’t think we’ve EVER had players drafted in Back-to-Back years.

Tyronn Lue 1998

Venson Hamilton 1999

Dave Hoppen 1986

Curtis Moore 1985

Jack Moore 1982

Andre Smith 1981

*Granted: the final 3 NU players listed were all very late selections (now it's only 2 rounds, back then it was nearly 200 picks)

35 minutes ago, Handy Johnson said:

Farmer had some of his most productive NBA work at Golden State. I think Mikki Moore held his own there. I don't recall if Hoppen had flourished in Oakland, but I do recall that Charles Barkley had wondered who this slow white guy at the end of the bench was in Philly. 😂

Edited by AuroranHusker

28 minutes ago, AuroranHusker said:

Tyronn Lue 1998

Venson Hamilton 1999

Dave Hoppen 1986

Curtis Moore 1985

Jack Moore 1982

Andre Smith 1981

*Granted: the final 3 NU players listed were all very late selections (now it's only 2 rounds, back then it was nearly 200 picks)

Following up to this thread, the two most successful selections as far as how high were teammates: '94 The Polish Rifle (15th overall) and '91 Rich King (14th overall).

The other two selections (directly behind Lue's 23rd overall selection) were 2019's Isaiah Roby (45th overall) and 2021's Dalano Banton (46th overall).

The question is now... can Bryce McGowens become the 4th First Round NBA selection from Nebraska basketball ???

23 minutes ago, AuroranHusker said:

Farmer had some of most productive NBA work at Golden State. I think Mikki Moore held his own there. I don't recall if Hoppen had flourished in Oakland, but I do recall that Charles Barkley had wondered who this slow white guy at the end of the bench was in Philly. 😂

I saw Hoppen play against the TWolves when he was a Charlotte Hornet 🐝 

Just now, Handy Johnson said:

I saw Hoppen play against the TWolves when he was a Charlotte Hornet 🐝 

Cool. I just looked it up: Hoppen had played 77 games in 1988-89 for the Hornets. Unfortunately, Big Dave only played in 169 career NBA ballgames. I most recall his pine time in Philly, where he had back-to-back 11 games of participation in 1990-91 and 1991-92. Hoppen scored 837 points in the League while shooting 52% from the field and 75% from the line.

That is perhaps the problem...

I understand the want and need for high level talent.  Trust me, seeing a talented player(s) on the court performing at a high level, is amazing.

Yet if those players are simply playing to get to the next level, and/or are playing only for the name on the back of their jerseys rather than for the TEAM, then you have no continuity, team cohesion and the team will fail.

1 minute ago, Huskerpapa said:

That is perhaps the problem...

I understand the want and need for high level talent.  Trust me, seeing a talented player(s) on the court performing at a high level, is amazing.

Yet if those players are simply playing to get to the next level, and/or are playing only for the name on the back of their jerseys rather than for the TEAM, then you have no continuity, team cohesion and the team will fail.

It would have made all the difference in the world to surround Bryce with a team that brings all those qualities.

2 minutes ago, huskerbill85 said:
14 hours ago, Ron Mexico said:

How? 

Attracts better talent. Players with pro aspirations will see a coach who's gotten guys drafted in back to back years here.

Not to belabor this with football, but it's a similar reason why some running backs choose a school who's known for getting RBs drafted to the NFL, same reason why offensive linemen go to other schools that tend to get OLs drafted into the NFL.

This only works if we can show a sustained path to get players to the NBA. But once that path becomes clear, the sales pitch becomes easier. Because it's visibile and actually happened for others who have come to the program. And in this case, Hoiberg's name and connections might be enough to start pumping this pipeline. Time will tell.

7 hours ago, HuskerFever said:

Not to belabor this with football, but it's a similar reason why some running backs choose a school who's known for getting RBs drafted to the NFL, same reason why offensive linemen go to other schools that tend to get OLs drafted into the NFL.

This only works if we can show a sustained path to get players to the NBA. But once that path becomes clear, the sales pitch becomes easier. Because it's visibile and actually happened for others who have come to the program. And in this case, Hoiberg's name and connections might be enough to start pumping this pipeline. Time will tell.

IDK, seems to be a bit of a stretch. He was able to get Bryce here, but was he really, or where we clever enough to pull Trey in knowing it would bring Bryce. I also think it is a bit of a pipe dream. It's not like other coaches in the B1G aren't getting players into the NBA i.e. Wiscy, Iowa, Mich, MSU, OSU, Ill, Purdue. I've heard this before and I think it is overplayed and will leave it that.

14 minutes ago, Omahusker said:

How much of getting those guys here was from their relationship with Coach Matt vs. wanting to play for Fred? 

Good question I'm not sure. It will be interesting to see who's call it is on hiring the new coaches. Fred has connections but if we go by what football did those guys had no connections to Frost. Will be interesting to see what route Trev goes with this. 

8 hours ago, huskerbill85 said:

Good question I'm not sure. It will be interesting to see who's call it is on hiring the new coaches. Fred has connections but if we go by what football did those guys had no connections to Frost. Will be interesting to see what route Trev goes with this. 

I do believe that there is a difference between football and basketball coaches/teams simply due to numbers.  Football has coordinators, position coaches, assistants to assistants, et al.  The head coach basically coordinates the coaches.  This varies depending on level and program.  In basketball, again depending on the level and program, the head coach is much more involved in the day-to-day coaching and player interaction.

• 1 month later...

I spent a few moments this morning looking through various nba mock drafts.  I was thinking that recent player decisions may have knocked Bryce out of a first round opportunity.  

He was absent from some, but in a few as well.  Maybe some fodder for conjecture and discussion...

https://nbadraftroom.com/p/2022-nba-mock-draft/

35 minutes ago, Huskerpapa said:

I spent a few moments this morning looking through various nba mock drafts.  I was thinking that recent player decisions may have knocked Bryce out of a first round opportunity.  

He was absent from some, but in a few as well.  Maybe some fodder for conjecture and discussion...

https://nbadraftroom.com/p/2022-nba-mock-draft/

In the past, being selected in the back of the 1st round put your future NBA prospects in serious jeopardy. I'm kind of surprised the "decision" has been made so swiftly and so confidently that he is just gone. 

On 5/2/2022 at 9:53 AM, basketballjones said:

In the past, being selected in the back of the 1st round put your future NBA prospects in serious jeopardy. I'm kind of surprised the "decision" has been made so swiftly and so confidently that he is just gone. 

Under the current NBA CBA, the real key is just to make sure you get drafted in the first round.  First round players receive a two-year contract at the rookie scale with two single-season team options afterwards.  Then after expiration of a rookie wage scale contract, team must sign player to either a four-year (or five-year for max level) extension.  So the benefits of being selected in the first round carry forward a bit into your career.

Second round players are not subjected to these contract terms or rookie wage scale.  So theoretically a team could max-out a second-round player, but typically their contracts range from one to four years with fewer guarantees and pay closer to league minimum.  High second rounders obviously get better deals.

Five or so years ago they added a new stipulation...after signing their Required Tender, an NBA team can then waive their second round player and will have exclusive rights to sign them to a Two-Way Contract.  The Two-Way Contract is paid at a rate equal to half the league minimum and is pro-rated/not guaranteed.  This is used mostly on free agents but a few of the late second-round picks usually end up signing Two Way deals.  A team can only have two players signed to Two Way deals simultaneously.

Bedtime reading:

https://cdn.nba.com/manage/2021/03/2018-19-CBA.pdf

12 hours ago, MitchMcGaryMunchies said:

Under the current NBA CBA, the real key is just to make sure you get drafted in the first round.  First round players receive a two-year contract at the rookie scale with two single-season team options afterwards.  Then after expiration of a rookie wage scale contract, team must sign player to either a four-year (or five-year for max level) extension.  So the benefits of being selected in the first round carry forward a bit into your career.

Second round players are not subjected to these contract terms or rookie wage scale.  So theoretically a team could max-out a second-round player, but typically their contracts range from one to four years with fewer guarantees and pay closer to league minimum.  High second rounders obviously get better deals.

Five or so years ago they added a new stipulation...after signing their Required Tender, an NBA team can then waive their second round player and will have exclusive rights to sign them to a Two-Way Contract.  The Two-Way Contract is paid at a rate equal to half the league minimum and is pro-rated/not guaranteed.  This is used mostly on free agents but a few of the late second-round picks usually end up signing Two Way deals.  A team can only have two players signed to Two Way deals simultaneously.

Bedtime reading:

https://cdn.nba.com/manage/2021/03/2018-19-CBA.pdf

Thank you for that info man, I appreciate it.