Bryce McGowens's Legacy

uneblinstu

On 3/12/2022 at 6:42 PM, HB said:

No, it’s your cheap shot condescending attitude.  A whole bunch of Nebraskans have a healthy level of care about high school basketball.    

I haven't lived in Nebraska for 30 plus years and I still follow it.

As for Bryce, I will remember him as our first 5* recruit and leave it at that.

I attended all but one session at PBA this year.  Good crowds with a lot of enthusiasm.   I visited with one NSAA official who indicated that Nebraska has one of the most enthusiastic and supportive high school fan bases in the country.  If you look at our population base in comparison to others, I would suggest our state is extremely supportive of HS basketball.  Heck, extremely supportive of ALL high school sports and/or activities.   

As far as Bryce...I am still unconvinced that he will leave.  But if he does, he will be remembered as a very good scorer, who exponentially grew as a rebounder, defender and teammate.   But more importantly, he is a good citizen and appears to be of high character.   His parents should take pride in that despite being a 5* recruit he came to a program that has no history in an attempt to make history; but also showed a willingness to improve his game.

3 pages deep into this thread…

We are talking about the guy who was the highest-scoring true frosh in D1, right?  And the Big Ten Newcomer of the year?

As far as I’m concerned, he far exceeded my expectations.  Coming in as a true frosh and doing what he did statistically is very rare.  I mean he wasn’t even a “high” 5-star.  He wasn’t supposed to do this, even with his high expectations.  This is beyond that.

His legacy will be as a great player, and one that frankly we didn’t deserve.  He would have gotten more benefit going somewhere else IMO.  The fact that he embraced his opportunity and the community were unexpected bonuses.

I’d love to have a ton more like him.  Our disappointing season didn’t have a whole lot to do with him.

7 minutes ago, OurDecay said:

3 pages deep into this thread…

We are talking about the guy who was the highest-scoring true frosh in D1, right?  And the Big Ten Newcomer of the year?

As far as I’m concerned, he far exceeded my expectations.  Coming in as a true frosh and doing what he did statistically is very rare.  I mean he wasn’t even a “high” 5-star.  He wasn’t supposed to do this, even with his high expectations.  This is beyond that.

His legacy will be as a great player, and one that frankly we didn’t deserve.  He would have gotten more benefit going somewhere else IMO.  The fact that he embraced his opportunity and the community were unexpected bonuses.

I’d love to have a ton more like him.  Our disappointing season didn’t have a whole lot to do with him.

I agree with a lot of this.  But the average person doesn’t remember this.  The average person remembers W’s and L’s.  And as unfair as it may be to Bryce, he was “expected” to come in and lead us to wins

My general thoughts are that he was a lot of fun to watch once he started figuring it out later in the season.  I was not near as high on our prospects with him(under assumption one year).  It takes a little time to figure out how to win.  We had a roster that seemed promising, but it was going to take a lot of things to fall into place for him to be our catalyst to a great year.  I thought we would be way better than this and was hoping to be playing meaningful games down the stretch.  But never thought his one year was going to be some epic difference making thing.  I would love to see him and his brother come and run it back.  He might be capable of taking on a lot of what Verge did when the good Verge was on display.  That would make him a lot more money in the end.  

22 minutes ago, jimmykc said:

Anyone know what the monetary difference between a top twenty player and one who is in the top thirty means? If Bryce continues to improve and refine his game with another year in college, would it be worth the wait? 

https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2021/08/rookie-scale-salaries-for-2021-nba-first-round-picks.html

This article sheds some light on the pay scale.  Obviously the higher you are drafted the more lucrative it becomes.  There is a monetary risk either way; especially when you factor in injury possibilities. 

54 minutes ago, Huskerpapa said:

https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2021/08/rookie-scale-salaries-for-2021-nba-first-round-picks.html

This article sheds some light on the pay scale.  Obviously the higher you are drafted the more lucrative it becomes.  There is a monetary risk either way; especially when you factor in injury possibilities. 

The last guy picked in the first round got $4 million guaranteed for the first 2 year, $10 million over 4. 

Would anybody turn down $4 million guaranteed to play another year here in the hope of moving up the draft board? Next year's class supposedly is much stronger, plus there's the risk of injury.

7 minutes ago, Chuck Taylor said:

The last guy picked in the first round got $4 million guaranteed for the first 2 year, $10 million over 4. 

Would anybody turn down $4 million guaranteed to play another year here in the hope of moving up the draft board? Next year's class supposedly is much stronger, plus there's the risk of injury.

NIL money is a factor...there were a number of players, including some in the Big10, who chose to stay and play the odds that they can get more next year by staying. 

There are advisers likely providing Bryce and many, many others with input that will sway players one way or the other. 

8 minutes ago, Handy Johnson said:

He wasn’t a ball hog on a BAD team, (we’ve had those) but he was the most decorated Frosh we’ve ever had & we parlayed that talent into absolutely nothing…

He was not as bad as others, but there were times the ball got stuck in his hands when it should not have.  He was shooting come hell or high water.