Jump to content

Bryce McGowens's Legacy


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, brfrad said:

Not to sound morbid, but do people remember him if he was still here, and not passed away in a plane crash?  I was super young when he played.  The only thing I know about him is he was a great free throw shooter. 

Yes, they still remember him, without the plane crash.  Great player, controlled the game from the point guard position, in the day of the post player.  Toughest mental makeup I have ever seen 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

here's the thing about legacies, IMO: 

 

if you read some of these posts, you can kinda see the connection between generations and players, too. so if we were to talk about Bryce's legacy--and consider that alongside other players with longer careers and deeper connections to the fanbases of their day--it's probably most fair to say that *this* generation of fan might have a more vivid memory of his time at NU than either older fans like myself that have decades of hoops personalities in the noggin' or the kids in the stands still waiting for the first heroes they can make their own. 

 

I think there are players we'd have much more vivid recollections of if they had played for better teams. 

 

This is also from a guy who was friends with Dave MacFarlane back in the day. And how many of you remember him now even though I think he was NUs first bonafide 7 footer (and a record setter himself at Plattsmouth). Anyhoo it's late and I'm tired so I'll give this topic up. Legacies depress me. I usually associate them with being dead. 

Edited by tcp
of course i forget the a in Dave's name. sheesh
Link to comment
Share on other sites

talented player, but never showed any sort of mamba mentality except in the Ohio state game. Maybe he'll develop a killer instinct in the future.

 

his nba ceiling is probably brandon roy and his floor is jarrett culver. 

 

really just depends how much work he puts in because he has the physical gifts.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Reading some of these comments, I'm much less worried about Bryce and Trey's legacy here at Nebraska -- they will be held in the highest esteem by anyone that had the pleasure to associate with them -- and more concerned about the reputation of Nebraska's basketball fans.  I'm incredibly appreciative that our first five star basketball recruit was emotionally mature and grounded, not some headcase with unrealistic expectations and demands from the program.  Our fanbase is better suited to serve that role.

 

This guy was transported halfway across the country for what everyone knew would be an incredibly short stay.  And he embraced and dove head-first into a community that historically has been cold to outsiders.  He made every attempt to elevate our college and high school athletics to a higher stage.  And it actually seemed authentic, not like he was only focused on personal gains.  Meanwhile, the vast majority of Nebraskans who were born, raised, and will likely die in this state have zero f***s to give about high school basketball.

 

Maybe it's normal for a fanbase that has never won to be so preoccupied with immediate wins and losses?  Lue never got his roses when he was in Lincoln, and I know a lot of Husker fans thought he didn't belong in the NBA initially.  Hell, Danny Nee said he didn't believe Jerry West should draft him.  He proved us wrong with a lengthy career, then made us look more foolish by becoming one of the top basketball minds in the game.  I'm incredibly proud when I hear Nebraska even remotely associated with him now.  I really hope Bryce can settle into a good situation in the NBA because I think he has the capacity to do great things on and off the court.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, MitchMcGaryMunchies said:

Reading some of these comments, I'm much less worried about Bryce and Trey's legacy here at Nebraska -- they will be held in the highest esteem by anyone that had the pleasure to associate with them -- and more concerned about the reputation of Nebraska's basketball fans.  I'm incredibly appreciative that our first five star basketball recruit was emotionally mature and grounded, not some headcase with unrealistic expectations and demands from the program.  Our fanbase is better suited to serve that role.

 

This guy was transported halfway across the country for what everyone knew would be an incredibly short stay.  And he embraced and dove head-first into a community that historically has been cold to outsiders.  He made every attempt to elevate our college and high school athletics to a higher stage.  And it actually seemed authentic, not like he was only focused on personal gains.  Meanwhile, the vast majority of Nebraskans who were born, raised, and will likely die in this state have zero f***s to give about high school basketball.

 

Maybe it's normal for a fanbase that has never won to be so preoccupied with immediate wins and losses?  Lue never got his roses when he was in Lincoln, and I know a lot of Husker fans thought he didn't belong in the NBA initially.  Hell, Danny Nee said he didn't believe Jerry West should draft him.  He proved us wrong with a lengthy career, then made us look more foolish by becoming one of the top basketball minds in the game.  I'm incredibly proud when I hear Nebraska even remotely associated with him now.  I really hope Bryce can settle into a good situation in the NBA because I think he has the capacity to do great things on and off the court.

Your comments about Trey are good, as there is much to respect about the young man.  But if you have an issue with those who were were born, raised and died as Nebraskans you have serious problems.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, HB said:

Your comments about Trey are good, as there is much to respect about the young man.  But if you have an issue with those who were were born, raised and died as Nebraskans you have serious problems.  

 

My comment was referencing that most lifelong Nebraskans don't care about local high school basketball.  Or at least do not care nearly as much about it as Bryce does.

 

Suffice to say, the only problem here is a reading comprehension problem.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, MitchMcGaryMunchies said:

 

My comment was referencing that most lifelong Nebraskans don't care about local high school basketball.  Or at least do not care nearly as much about it as Bryce does.

 

Suffice to say, the only problem here is a reading comprehension problem.

No, it’s your cheap shot condescending attitude.  A whole bunch of Nebraskans have a healthy level of care about high school basketball.    

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, HB said:

No, it’s your cheap shot condescending attitude.  A whole bunch of Nebraskans have a healthy level of care about high school basketball.    

 

Is "the vast majority" >>> "a whole bunch"?

 

High school basketball is without a question the best it has ever been in this state.  Can we agree on that?  I do not see the same positive correlation in our state's support of the sport.  This is based on attending high school games myself, and speaking to other Nebraskans in both metro and rural areas.  A lot of Nebraskans do not even know who Bryce is, let alone Hunter Sallis, Chucky Hepburn, Isaac Traudt, Jasen Green, etc.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, MitchMcGaryMunchies said:

 

Is "the vast majority" >>> "a whole bunch"?

 

High school basketball is without a question the best it has ever been in this state.  Can we agree on that?  I do not see the same positive correlation in our state's support of the sport.  This is based on attending high school games myself, and speaking to other Nebraskans in both metro and rural areas.  A lot of Nebraskans do not even know who Bryce is, let alone Hunter Sallis, Chucky Hepburn, Isaac Traudt, Jasen Green, etc.

 

I was in Portland, OR many years ago when Kevin Love's Lake Oswego squad was hosting Oak Hill Academy.  Love was a top 5 recruit, and I waited in the rain for an hour to get GA tickets to the game.  Can't say it's ever been too difficult to get a seat at the Heartland Hoops Classic.  Wonder what the attendance was to watch similarly-ranked Omaha Biliew?  The stands weren't even half full...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

55 minutes ago, MitchMcGaryMunchies said:

 

Maybe it's normal for a fanbase that has never won to be so preoccupied with immediate wins and losses?  Lue never got his roses when he was in Lincoln, and I know a lot of Husker fans thought he didn't belong in the NBA initially.  Hell, Danny Nee said he didn't believe Jerry West should draft him.  He proved us wrong with a lengthy career, then made us look more foolish by becoming one of the top basketball minds in the game.  

 

What do you mean Lue never got his roses when he was in Lincoln?  What, he didn't get credit as a freshman when didn't walk out on his coach?  He wasn't beloved by all the fans? Not since Jack Moore did a point guard get more love at NU.  I guess we watched two different teams. As far as him not belonging in the NBA initially, I never talked to one Husker fan when he left that said he didn't belong there.  I talked to many that said it might be bad timing if the players go on strike.  Huh, I guess they did. It still worked out for Tyronn which every Husker fan I've talked to is still very happy for him.

 

Please don't use "us" when you don't speak for "us"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, MitchMcGaryMunchies said:

 

Is "the vast majority" >>> "a whole bunch"?

 

High school basketball is without a question the best it has ever been in this state.  Can we agree on that?  I do not see the same positive correlation in our state's support of the sport.  This is based on attending high school games myself, and speaking to other Nebraskans in both metro and rural areas.  A lot of Nebraskans do not even know who Bryce is, let alone Hunter Sallis, Chucky Hepburn, Isaac Traudt, Jasen Green, etc.


You must not go to many games in Omaha. Lots of big crowds and Locked gyms. Hell when I played 30 years ago most games the doors were closed before the JV games started. There is plenty of love for high school hoops and sports in general in this state.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, MitchMcGaryMunchies said:

Maybe it's normal for a fanbase that has never won to be so preoccupied with immediate wins and losses?  Lue never got his roses when he was in Lincoln, and I know a lot of Husker fans thought he didn't belong in the NBA initially.  Hell, Danny Nee said he didn't believe Jerry West should draft him.  He proved us wrong with a lengthy career, then made us look more foolish by becoming one of the top basketball minds in the game.  I'm incredibly proud when I hear Nebraska even remotely associated with him now.  I really hope Bryce can settle into a good situation in the NBA because I think he has the capacity to do great things on and off the court.

That is simply not true. He was transformative player at Nebraska. He had the handles to play in the NBA and was a very capable scorer.  

He was definitely a fan favorite. His return to NU to get his number retired was a momentous event as it was difficult for him to return to Lincoln due to him always either playing or coaching in the NBA.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It is hard to speculate on what my thoughts are on a potential one and done player Nebraska, mostly because it has never happened.

He was heavily leaned on the entire season to shoulder the load of scoring by a coach who early on this season appeared to have no offensive philosophy.

Just talking about Bryce, I'm very happy for him. He embraced the community and did everything right. 

 

With a team this bad it is hard to reconcile him as an individual player and how the team performed as a whole.

He set all  kinds of freshman records, including breaking a 40yr old Freshman scoring record which he will hold for a very long time.

To me it is a wasted opportunity, and that will always linger and will be a part of his legacy if he leaves this season.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

What a weird flex. Nebraskans I know love H.S. hoops. And I freakin' loved Tyronn Lue at Nebraska. I was screamin' "ONE MORE YEAR, ONE MORE YEAR, ONE MORE YEAR!"

 

People seem to see what they want to see. It's weird to bring that in this discussion. Bryce came to NU a full 25 years later than Lue did. It's a different time in the Social Media age.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Ron Mexico said:

That is simply not true. He was transformative player at Nebraska. He had the handles to play in the NBA and was a very capable scorer.  

He was definitely a fan favorite. His return to NU to get his number retired was a momentous event as it was difficult for him to return to Lincoln due to him always either playing or coaching in the NBA.

 

Lue was drafted in 1998 and his NBA career finished in 2009.  We waited for him to become the hottest coach in the NBA and win an NBA title in the most unbelievable fashion, and still did not think he should have his jersey retired.

 

June 20, 2016

https://omaha.com/sports/huskers/barfknecht-it-s-time-for-huskers-to-give-tyronn-lue/article_3661e5d7-3b1e-50b7-afcd-66f6246cee81.html

 

So Lue could swing back to Lincoln for his Hall of Fame induction ceremony, but he just wasn't able to get back to town for his jersey retirement?  Being employed by billionaires and keeping the company of multimillionaires, you tend to have pretty good access to private air transportation.  When Lue first served as an assistant for the LA Clippers, he was still living at his Las Vegas home.  These guys literally spend half their lives on planes.

 

We retired Dave Hoppen's jersey on his Senior Day.  We retired Piatkowski's jersey while he was still playing in the NBA.  Honestly, I think we were trying to give him the hint it was time to retire his playing career too.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...