Year 4

7 hours ago, hhcmatt said:

Maybe "basketball iq" was the wrong phrase by me because Cam Mack's A/TO ratio could never explain how many dumb things that guy did

That's why I included the eFG% percentage as well. You do well in both, you probably know what you're doing out there. Cam and Alonzo were both pretty dynamic passers when they wanted to be, but they occasionally (probably too often) tried something that had a very small chance of succeeding. Sam's assist percentage is lower than the others, so it's not quite a 1:1 comparison with the other three, but here are the respective turnover percentages for each:

Griesel: 13.7
Verge: 19.6

Banton: 20.4

Mack: 17.3

Also, the areas where Mack's and Verge's low IQs most showed up were shot selection (which is reflected in their scoring efficiency) and simply dribbling the ball too much (not really a stat for that one). Also, the defense like I mentioned before. So much getting lost on defense. 

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, 49r said:

I really, truly hope it happens. I hope he can get things going. I have my doubts, but it is certainly my hope that he succeeds. I wish he'd have figured out some of where the bad juju was after year 1 or year 1, version 2.0. Or year 1, version 3.0. But I'm certainly hoping he's got it figured out now AND if he does ...

One of the great equalizers that now exists that didn't exist before is that players are not simply looking at, oh, which school maybe provides them with the highest level of status ("I got an offer from DUKE!") or which one has the best journalism school (that you're going to change majors from anyway).

Now, NIL factors into things and so I think programs will be able to get a foot in the door with recruits they might not otherwise have had a shot at if it was like the year 2015 and you had a coach who was languishing and a program that was struggling.

With the transfer portal and the NIL money, a school could theoretically upgrade their roster in short order.

Stability is probably the best long-term strategy, using the portal just to add that last missing piece. But a program such as ours could use the portal to make some more drastic changes, provided we can show some progress this year and can sell transfers on the idea that they aren't just going somewhere to suck. 

Of course, transfer portal and NIL money also apply if we have a coaching change, so ...

11 hours ago, 49r said:
11 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

I really, truly hope it happens.

Me too, man...me too.

2 hours ago, hskr4life said:
11 hours ago, 49r said:

Me too, man...me too.

I 3rd this.

If you're passing around the spiked NyQuil, I'll take a dose too. It tastes awfully close to Kool Aid...just without the hope.

On 11/3/2022 at 11:12 AM, Norm Peterson said:

I really, truly hope it happens. I hope he can get things going. I have my doubts, but it is certainly my hope that he succeeds. I wish he'd have figured out some of where the bad juju was after year 1 or year 1, version 2.0. Or year 1, version 3.0. But I'm certainly hoping he's got it figured out now AND if he does ...

Same Same

26 minutes ago, Cowboy Kermit said:

We are one game into the season and we already have Dana Altman Nebraska talk in the college basketball circles. My god, it’s never happening. Stop it Jeff

Well, the guy is wrong, first of all.

He says Hoiberg only succeeded the first time around because he hit the portal before other people figured out how to hit the portal. Yeah, maybe, but he still had to coach those players up once he got them in the program.

And I've been saying this and saying this and I don't care how many other teams also have NIL programs, but NIL and portal are the great equalizers for a program like ours. As long as we can sell prospects on the idea that they could come be part of a winner, we can get our foot in the door with the NIL checks our boosters are willing to write. When it comes to NIL money, we've got to be near the top. I think I saw somewhere that we're top 10 for NIL money.

Like it or not, money talks. We can write as big of checks as anyone and bigger than most. Bigger than the vast majority. If we can just show some marginal improvement, some marginal success, we'll be a player when it comes to the portal. And that's because players won't take checks to be a great player on a terrible team. But they will look at the money if they think they could be on a competitive team AND get paid.

The first three years probably don't matter as much now as they would have before NIL. If we can show progress THIS year AND slide a big check in front of transfer targets, we have a chance to upgrade our roster for next year in a meaningful way.

The key is we have to show some reason for potential recruits to believe that we're on the upswing and that they won't become the only good player on a terrible team. Money isn't enough to overcome that.

BTW, the existence of NIL money renders a guy like Matt A superfluous. Absolutely superfluous.

Before the portal, you needed recruiters who were good at building relationships. That still counts with high school prospects. But that wasn't Matt's deal. Matt's deal was being able to schmooze the handlers of the kids who entered the portal.

Now that the money is out in the open, what value is there to a guy like Matt? Even if he didn't have the other baggage. He knew nothing about basketball. He was totally worthless during the season. His only value was when the transfer portal opened up after the season. And then his usefulness ended about 2 months later.

Take that $400K and spread it among guys who are really good at scouting opponents, really good at spotting talent of potential recruits, and really good at player development. You didn't get any of that from Matt.

2 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

BTW, the existence of NIL money renders a guy like Matt A superfluous. Absolutely superfluous.

Before the portal, you needed recruiters who were good at building relationships. That still counts with high school prospects. But that wasn't Matt's deal. Matt's deal was being able to schmooze the handlers of the kids who entered the portal.

Now that the money is out in the open, what value is there to a guy like Matt? Even if he didn't have the other baggage. He knew nothing about basketball. He was totally worthless during the season. His only value was when the transfer portal opened up after the season. And then his usefulness ended about 2 months later.

Take that $400K and spread it among guys who are really good at scouting opponents, really good at spotting talent of potential recruits, and really good at player development. You didn't get any of that from Matt.

But Fred kept him for 3 years.  Ultimately it’s on him.  

2 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

Speaking of Matt A. He was having lunch with Baylor Schiereman a couple weeks ago. Must be working the agent angle for next year.

Speaking of Matt A. He was having lunch with Baylor Schiereman a couple weeks ago. Must be working the agent angle for next year.

He is listed online as a “talent coordinator” for Octagon Basketball who happens to represent Steph Curry. Have been told ole Matt can’t get his agent’s license.

• 2 weeks later...
I don't know how the rest of the season will play out, but I'll enjoy it regardless. Thanks Sam for coming home.

• 2 months later...