Year 4

2 hours ago, cornfed24-7 said:

But after that the excitement will be through the roof to see how the new coaches teams perform in football and basketball šŸ˜ƒ

Least I forget itā€™s Nebraska vs Creighton in Volleyball tonight & the Bluejays have NEVER (not once) beaten usā€¦.!!! #GBR#NationalChampsĀ 

New "official" heights and weights have been posted! Some interesting measurables to note.

As reported, CJ cut 10+ pounds.Ā 

Ramel is a big guard. I thought he looked bigger than the 180 lbs he was listed at before. Now 6'6"Ā  204.

Griesel is 6'7"Ā  216.

KeitaĀ  6'11"Ā  241.

Derrick wore his tall shoes again for measurement day.Ā 

The physical makeup of this roster is so much different than what Hoiberg has had in the past. If you walk past the film room and see CJ, Gary, Griesel, Ramel, Derrick in there, you might think it's a group of tight ends or 3-4 OLBs. And I'm ok with it.Ā  I believe these guys also have a mental toughness and level of maturity that Hoiberg hasn't had yet at Nebraska. No idea if they have enough talent/ability to translate that toughness into more wins. But I do know that I'll enjoy watching them more than the previous three teams.Ā 

Ā 

https://huskers.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster

• 2 weeks later...
18 minutes ago, millerhusker said:

My favorite memory of Kedrick Ford was thinking he was essentially a 6'2" power forward.Ā 

My favorite memory of Kedrick Ford was waiting for him to have that one big game just like Demetrius Buchanan.

Ā 

Who, I'm saddened to say, passed away a while ago.Ā  He had one game where he came off the bench in the second half and just absolutely tore it up, but then never did that again.

https://www.legacy.com/us/obituaries/southbendtribune/name/demetrius-buchanan-obituary?id=14423278

13 hours ago, millerhusker said:

That's not Cookie. Cookie is bigger than Clemmon, Strick and Ford.

I feel like a Cookie Belcher appreciation post is needed about once a year. One of the most under-appreciated players in Husker history. I believe he's one of the best perimeter defenders in college basketball history. When he graduated, he was 3rd all time in NCAA career steals. He's now 6th on the list. He was fast (still holds the NBA combine record for fastest 3/4 court sprint ever - that's amazing when you think about all the guys who have participated), quick, had incredible size and strength for a point guard, smart and steady.Ā 

I had a brief interaction with Lon Kruger the summer of the 2001 NBA draft. He hinted the Hawks (he was their head coach at the time) were going to draft Cookie in the second round. Haven't trusted Kruger ever since.Ā 

1 hour ago, millerhusker said:

I feel like a Cookie Belcher appreciation post is needed about once a year. One of the most under-appreciated players in Husker history. I believe he's one of the best perimeter defenders in college basketball history. When he graduated, he was 3rd all time in NCAA career steals. He's now 6th on the list. He was fast (still holds the NBA combine record for fastest 3/4 court sprint ever - that's amazing when you think about all the guys who have participated), quick, had incredible size and strength for a point guard, smart and steady.Ā 

I had a brief interaction with Lon Kruger the summer of the 2001 NBA draft. He hinted the Hawks (he was their head coach at the time) were going to draft Cookie in the second round. Haven't trusted Kruger ever since.Ā 

Ā 

Didn't Danny push the injury/extra year of eligibility rule with Belcher?Ā  I can remember him playing one handed basically because of an injury until he hit a certain date and was shut down so he would not have to count the year and Nee admitted that he was doing just that.Ā  You are right about an under-appreciated player.Ā  One of those guys that you don't know how good he was until he was gone.

Ā Ā 

38 minutes ago, Navin R. Johnson said:

Ā 

Didn't Danny push the injury/extra year of eligibility rule with Belcher?Ā  I can remember him playing one handed basically because of an injury until he hit a certain date and was shut down so he would not have to count the year and Nee admitted that he was doing just that.Ā  You are right about an under-appreciated player.Ā  One of those guys that you don't know how good he was until he was gone.

Ā 

Danny said that on Sports Nightly and the compliance people lost their shit thinking the NCAA might view it as an attempt to circumvent the eligibility rules and deny the extra year. He had to walk back that comment very carefully.

Ā 

Also, it's no coincidence that Cookie played until the Creighton game that year.

7 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

Ā 

Danny said that on Sports Nightly and the compliance people lost their shit thinking the NCAA might view it as an attempt to circumvent the eligibility rules and deny the extra year. He had to walk back that comment very carefully.

Ā 

Also, it's no coincidence that Cookie played until the Creighton game that year.

Ā 

I remember how surprised I was when Nee was so open with the press about what he was doing.Ā  Like him or hate him but Danny said what was on his mind.Ā 

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, hhcmatt said:

Having not watched either play much I'm sitting here wondering how much Griesel and Bando might improve upon the basketball IQ of the starting guards we've rolled out there for the last 3 years.

Ā 

Nothing definitive here, but I pulled assist-to-turnover ratio and effective field goal percentage for each of the starting backcourts during Hoiberg's time in Lincoln. Other factors certainly are involved, but I think both of those statistics reflect decision-making/IQ to a certain degree. Of course, Big Ten vs. AAC/Summit factors in here as well.

Ā 

Griesel: 1.73 AST/TOV ratio, .525 eFG%

Bandoumel: 1.38 AST/TOV ratio, .472 eFG%

Ā 

Verge: 1.63 AST/TOV ratio, .480 eFG%

McGowens: 1.00 AST/TOV ratio, .449 eFG%

Ā 

Banton: 1.57 AST/TOV ratio, .495 eFG%

McGowens: 1.02 AST/TOV ratio, .451 eFG%

Ā 

Mack: 2.42 AST/TOV ratio, .475 eFG%

Burke: 0.86 AST/TOV ratio, .465 eFG%

Ā 

Of course, these are offensive numbers and in no way reflect defensive IQ.

Ā 

I think Griesel continued to improve as a decision-maker throughout his career, especially considering he switched to point guard mid-way through. His coaches and teammates have certainly been impressed with the IQ he's shown to this point from everything we've heard.

Ā 

Bandoumel I think is much more of a gunner than a high-IQ guy, but his feel on the defensive end seems to be significantly better than some of the guys who have started recently. The way they did it is different, but I kind of view Bandoumel as a McGowens replacement - they seem to have similar strengths and weaknesses (though Bandoumel is a volume shooter and probably a better passer than Trey).

8 hours ago, Jacob Padilla said:

Ā 

Nothing definitive here, but I pulled assist-to-turnover ratio and effective field goal percentage for each of the starting backcourts during Hoiberg's time in Lincoln. Other factors certainly are involved, but I think both of those statistics reflect decision-making/IQ to a certain degree. Of course, Big Ten vs. AAC/Summit factors in here as well.

Ā 

Griesel: 1.73 AST/TOV ratio, .525 eFG%

Bandoumel: 1.38 AST/TOV ratio, .472 eFG%

Ā 

Verge: 1.63 AST/TOV ratio, .480 eFG%

McGowens: 1.00 AST/TOV ratio, .449 eFG%

Ā 

Banton: 1.57 AST/TOV ratio, .495 eFG%

McGowens: 1.02 AST/TOV ratio, .451 eFG%

Ā 

Mack: 2.42 AST/TOV ratio, .475 eFG%

Burke: 0.86 AST/TOV ratio, .465 eFG%

Ā 

Of course, these are offensive numbers and in no way reflect defensive IQ.

Ā 

I think Griesel continued to improve as a decision-maker throughout his career, especially considering he switched to point guard mid-way through. His coaches and teammates have certainly been impressed with the IQ he's shown to this point from everything we've heard.

Ā 

Bandoumel I think is much more of a gunner than a high-IQ guy, but his feel on the defensive end seems to be significantly better than some of the guys who have started recently. The way they did it is different, but I kind of view Bandoumel as a McGowens replacement - they seem to have similar strengths and weaknesses (though Bandoumel is a volume shooter and probably a better passer than Trey).

I like and understand your stats / opinions but I will be shacked if Bando is not a much better ball handler than Trey (I think he was not a natural ball handler at all)