Year 4

1 hour ago, Handy Johnson said:

It took me awhile to catch up with my friend (death in the family etc) but here’s the main takeaway: The First Team was, Blaise, Walker, Griesel, Gary & Bandoumel. Looks like Fred is ready to Go BIG or Go Home. Wilcher, Briedenbach look very differently physically than last season. Lloyd is as polished as we’ve been told & for whatever it’s worth, the guys really seem to get along & LIKE each other.

I love that potential starting five.  Great news on Lloyd. 

9 hours ago, Handy Johnson said:

It took me awhile to catch up with my friend (death in the family etc) but here’s the main takeaway: The First Team was, Blaise, Walker, Griesel, Gary & Bandoumel. Looks like Fred is ready to Go BIG or Go Home. Wilcher, Briedenbach look very differently physically than last season. Lloyd is as polished as we’ve been told & for whatever it’s worth, the guys really seem to get along & LIKE each other.

Surprised Wilcher isn't in the first 5, not a lot of shooting there. I'm OK with playing in the 50s and 60s, since we're not going to shoot anybody out of the gym.

14 hours ago, Handy Johnson said:

Griesel is still recovering and hasn't been cleared to play.  Someone is pulling your leg.

Thing about Derrick Walker is that he's REALLY good when a PG sets the table for him. He's not at all someone who creates his own shot; he just converts at a really high rate when someone gets him the ball in good position. Contrast that with Yvan who couldn't convert at all. So, I mean, that is really useful. But it's also limited. It requires a PG to set him up.

So, the best PGs I have ever seen are the ones who CAN score, but really pick their places. It's the PG who does such a good job at setting everyone else up that defenses try to prevent the pass and wind up getting torched because they forget the PG can score too.

We definitely have not had that PG during the Hoiberg era. Somewhat better with Cam Mack than with Alonzo Verge, but we haven't had it yet and it'll be interesting to see if we have that guy now. I kinda doubt it but you never know.

On 7/13/2022 at 1:26 PM, millerhusker said:

Yeah I actually don't want to hear that. He's in his sixth year and has never been a shooter. I have no doubt that he can make them in practice (there were reports of this during his redshirt year as well). Big difference when the bullets are flying. 

I'd want each player to focus on their own defined role and get as good as they can possibly get in that role. The positionless basketball narrative has been very overblown the last few years. Too many players try to be a (mediocre) jack of all trades at everything, and don't ever fully develop any one skill. They become poor to average at everything and don't have a single skill they're above average to elite at. 

The three NBA teams that have fully embraced positionless basketball are Houston, Orlando and OKC. It's no surprise these are the three worst 3 point shooting teams in the league. They acquire impressive athletes whose measurables look good on paper and attempt to make everyone shooters. Rather than finding actual pure shooters, point guards who can get them the ball, big guys who can draw the defense in, good screen setters, etc. The most successful teams - at every level - absolutely still have very defined roles for all of their players. They do not play positionless basketball. Golden State, Pheonix, Memphis, Kansas, UNC, Michigan St, etc.  All these teams have centers who can't shoot worth a lick. Klay Thompson is a 3 and D shooting guard and that's it. They don't even let him dribble. Chris Paul and Dajuan Harris cannot play any other position than a pass first point guard. Kevon Looney, David McCormack and Marcus Bingham can't walk and chew gum at the same time. These teams are just collections of players with specific skills pieced together to form units that work and complement each other. Just like any other successful teams that exist in any setting, sports or otherwise. 

Derrick is above average in his role offensively. If it ain't broke don't fix it. Just hone it to make it even better. We just need more guys to be above average in different roles. Then piece them together. When we tried to make Terran Petteway a PNR point guard his junior year, he and the team really struggled. 

100% agree. Positionless basketball is a narrative to keep AAU kids and parents happy. Btw, before anyone says anything, 5-out offense doesn’t mean positionless. 

5 hours ago, uneblinstu said:

I mean, first of all, very cool of Derrick to do this. He's become one of my favorite Huskers of recent times.

But the jokes kind of write themselves here don't they?

First one that comes to mind is: "Finally. The Huskers have found some competition more on their level!"

Edited by 49r

58 minutes ago, 49r said:

I mean, first of all, very cool of Derrick to do this. He's become one of my favorite Huskers of recent times.

First one that comes to mind is: "Finally. The Huskers have found some competition more on their level!"

Some things don’t need a joke. Some things are good and wholesome and can be appreciated for what they are. 

1 hour ago, 49r said:

You are kind of a dick, guy. 

12 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

Thing about Derrick Walker is that he's REALLY good when a PG sets the table for him. He's not at all someone who creates his own shot; he just converts at a really high rate when someone gets him the ball in good position. Contrast that with Yvan who couldn't convert at all. So, I mean, that is really useful. But it's also limited. It requires a PG to set him up.

So, the best PGs I have ever seen are the ones who CAN score, but really pick their places. It's the PG who does such a good job at setting everyone else up that defenses try to prevent the pass and wind up getting torched because they forget the PG can score too.

We definitely have not had that PG during the Hoiberg era. Somewhat better with Cam Mack than with Alonzo Verge, but we haven't had it yet and it'll be interesting to see if we have that guy now. I kinda doubt it but you never know.

Having someone with 3 years experience at the Point (unlike Cam/Verge) who’s also 6’6” should improve this position dramatically. We were spoiled for a long time with the highly underrated Glynn Watson. I’m hoping Sam really thrives playing with better talent around him, & can pick his spots as you mentioned…

7 hours ago, aphilso1 said:

Some things don’t need a joke. Some things are good and wholesome and can be appreciated for what they are. 

Fair enough, and I want to reiterate that this was a very cool thing the guys did.  I'm sure it was a great day for everyone involved.

14 hours ago, SnakeFalls said:

You are kind of a dick, guy. 

I think it was just a self-deprecating joke that fell flat. I, @49r, and some others, have found it especially difficult to feel our usual optimistic selves going into this coming season. I don't think he was trying to crap on anyone's feel goods.

23 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

I think it was just a self-deprecating joke that fell flat. I, @49r, and some others, have found it especially difficult to feel our usual optimistic selves going into this coming season. I don't think he was trying to crap on anyone's feel goods.

Meh. "A joke."   

Punching down with jokes about kids with special needs is pretty low humor.  

1 hour ago, SnakeFalls said:

Meh. "A joke."   

Punching down with jokes about kids with special needs is pretty low humor.  

Except the butt of the joke wasn't the kids with special needs. The butt of the joke was our basketball program and, honestly, there are times if I couldn't find a way to laugh about the last 3 years, I'd be crying. I think you're being overly sensitive if you refuse to acknowledge that fact.

In other news, I think this is one of the best feel-good stories involving Husker basketball that I've seen in a very long time and I have nothing but high praise for Derrick Walker, who has always struck me as just a good dude, for organizing it. Good for him and I'm very happy for the ppl who were able to experience it.

23 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

Except the butt of the joke wasn't the kids with special needs. The butt of the joke was our basketball program and, honestly, there are times if I couldn't find a way to laugh about the last 3 years, I'd be crying. I think you're being overly sensitive if you refuse to acknowledge that fact.

In other news, I think this is one of the best feel-good stories involving Husker basketball that I've seen in a very long time and I have nothing but high praise for Derrick Walker, who has always struck me as just a good dude, for organizing it. Good for him and I'm very happy for the ppl who were able to experience it.

You should go tell your joke to Derek Walker or Fred Hoiberg then.  

19 minutes ago, SnakeFalls said:

You should go tell your joke to Derek Walker or Fred Hoiberg then.  

OK, don't be a little bitch. I would NEVER go to Derrick Walker and dump on him in person while he's doing something good. But this is a message board. And I've been very candid about my "show me the money" attitude towards Husker hoops going into this season. I have held nothing back and have not minced my words. If Derrick or Fred wish to read my opinions on their body of work so far, all they have to do is come here and read what I've had to say. I suspect they couldn't care less what I think and couldn't be bothered to read my takes. But that's not what message boards are about.

6 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

OK, don't be a little bitch. I would NEVER go to Derrick Walker and dump on him in person while he's doing something good. But this is a message board. And I've been very candid about my "show me the money" attitude towards Husker hoops going into this season. I have held nothing back and have not minced my words. If Derrick or Fred wish to read my opinions on their body of work so far, all they have to do is come here and read what I've had to say. I suspect they couldn't care less what I think and couldn't be bothered to read my takes. But that's not what message boards are about.

Haha little bitch.  Good one.