Year 4

No hype here; nope, nada.  Rose colored glasses were ripped off.  Yup, no need to read, no way this will pump you up...nope.  Heck a slimmed down CJ is simply a trick with mirrors; so move on.

https://omaha.com/sports/huskers/mens-basketball/fred-hoiberg-and-nebraska-basketball-staying-busy-amid-retooling-of-roster/article_71a822a6-e666-11ec-92a7-c3a8aa4f5e5a.html

15 minutes ago, Huskerpapa said:

No hype here; nope, nada.  Rose colored glasses were ripped off.  Yup, no need to read, no way this will pump you up...nope.  Heck a slimmed down CJ is simply a trick with mirrors; so move on.

https://omaha.com/sports/huskers/mens-basketball/fred-hoiberg-and-nebraska-basketball-staying-busy-amid-retooling-of-roster/article_71a822a6-e666-11ec-92a7-c3a8aa4f5e5a.html

"...NU’s influx of size, has inspired Hoiberg to “completely change” NU’s philosophy on offensive rebounding."

We shall see.

39 minutes ago, Art Vandalay said:

No mention of Blaise, hope he is 100% healthy

He was mentioned and alluded to a couple of times. just didn’t elaborate on his status.

I’ve also heard Robin say everybody but Keisei, who is in Japan trying out for the national team, is in town and participating in whatever they do in the summer. 

19 minutes ago, uneblinstu said:

also heard Robin say everybody but Keisei, who is in Japan trying out for the national team, is in town and participating in whatever they do in the summer. 

Yeah, and he missed last summer as well.  Not saying national team isn't important...but your college team needs to be prioritized as well; if you wish to play.

16 minutes ago, Huskerpapa said:

Yeah, and he missed last summer as well.  Not saying national team isn't important...but your college team needs to be prioritized as well; if you wish to play.

I get that, and you're right in context of the Huskers, but no coach is going to stand in a players way that has the opportunity to play on their country's national team.

28 minutes ago, uneblinstu said:

I get that, and you're right in context of the Huskers, but no coach is going to stand in a players way that has the opportunity to play on their country's national team.

Especially last year, when his home country was hosting the Olympics. 

12 hours ago, Huskerpapa said:

HAH!!!

The next time these guys play something even remotely resembling the sport of basketball will be the first time.  Color me skeptical.

11 hours ago, uneblinstu said:

Oh heavens, I do not disagree.  But nonetheless, the ability to build camaraderie with your college teammates is compromised by absence.  

I simply believe his ability to earn playing time is hurt by his summertime absence.  Perhaps his post-season conversations with the staff indicated his absence would not change his status for next year.  That may be good or bad for him...I guess.  Hmm.

13 hours ago, cornfed24-7 said:

"...NU’s influx of size, has inspired Hoiberg to “completely change” NU’s philosophy on offensive rebounding."

We shall see.

In 3 years with Fred we haven't had over 300 offensive rebounds (23.1% Oreb%) in a season which is what you get when you have a team that doesn't excel at rebounding who is playing to get back on defense. The roster alone probably gets us to 300 offensive rebounds. Will be real interesting to see how much we lean into crashing the boards. 

2 hours ago, Huskerpapa said:

Oh heavens, I do not disagree.  But nonetheless, the ability to build camaraderie with your college teammates is compromised by absence.  

I simply believe his ability to earn playing time is hurt by his summertime absence.  Perhaps his post-season conversations with the staff indicated his absence would not change his status for next year.  That may be good or bad for him...I guess.  Hmm.

For sure. I'll be curious to see what his role is this year. If year 2 allows him to be more settled and get closer to that ceiling we were told he has, and this roster is able to help hide some of his defensive liabilities, there's definitely a role for him on this team. If he plays like he did last season, hopefully there is more depth on this squat that he'll be buried on the bench in a hurry.

17 hours ago, Huskerpapa said:

Here's Brian Christopherson's Take on Coach Hoiberg's comments on the Huskers Radio Network:

https://247sports.com/college/nebraska/Article/Nebraska-Huskers-basketball-Fred-Hoiberg-188482977/

Some other updates:

– Hoiberg is very happy with what Adam Howard has done since joining the staff as an assistant coach. "He's gotten us in front of some really high-level players so far and I'm very impressed ... Love his defensive knowledge. He helped with a matchup zone that they've played at the different places he's been. Really excited to have Adam on staff."

Hoiberg said Breidenbach is also going to have the option of a medical redshirt from Year 1.

Hoiberg said Griesel will have a big part in point guard duties, loving his 6-6 size and strength and experience. "We're going to change our approach on the defensive end with some of things that we are doing, and a lot of it is because of Sam because he's 6-6 and strong and a veteran player that understands how to play."

The coach also felt Quaran McPherson had an effective year as a redshirt, and Lloyd will have a chance to show what he can do too as a combo guard.

I’ll have to admit I am intrigued by Fred’s report on Wilcher.  He was pretty thick last season…he definitely lacked the lateral quickness to effectively guard wings last year.  At the same time his bulk seemed to help holding position against bigger players.  It will be interesting to see the difference in how he moves now that he is slimmed down.  Hopefully that translates into better defense and getting to his spots quicker to get more scoring opportunities.

• 3 weeks later...

Maybe more tough competition early will get us gelling earlier in the season? Seems we get better after a handful of conference games under Hoiberg and play better down the stretch.

Not sure if I really believe that, just trying to be optimistic.