Year 4

I'm interested in seeing the board's predictions later in the summer. Seems like a lot of gloom right now, but hey, 2 months of hype videos and stories about how "things are different this year" might change that.

They've all added 20 pounds! (in a good way)

They've all added 6 inches to their verts!

They make all they're shots!

They have wild dunks!

They're like a family!

Let's see what you pessimists are made of by August. 😀

3 hours ago, Chuck Taylor said:

I'm interested in seeing the board's predictions later in the summer. Seems like a lot of gloom right now, but hey, 2 months of hype videos and stories about how "things are different this year" might change that.

They have wild dunks!

They're like a family!

I guarantee I will be leading the pessimistic charge all the way into the season.  You can tweet all the hype videos you want, I ain't buying in.

5 hours ago, Chuck Taylor said:

They have wild dunks!

They're like a family!

Anything above a 10th place finish & I’ll be shocked. Look at what we lost, & what we brought in. Having guys on the roster who can “go off” for 40 is a plus not a minus in my opinion. Bigger, more defensive minded all sound great now until Creighton is up 42-8 in Omaha… 

17 minutes ago, Handy Johnson said:

Anything above a 10th place finish & I’ll be shocked. Look at what we lost, & what we brought in. Having guys on the roster who can “go off” for 40 is a plus not a minus in my opinion. Bigger, more defensive minded all sound great now until Creighton is up 42-8 in Omaha… 

It depends to me.  If they can go off in the framework of the offense, definitely hurts.  When those players are hero ball shot hunters, it can be addition by subtraction in my opinion.  Guys like that make their teammates worse, not better.  I won’t miss Bryce.  Verge…I will miss final month Verge.  He was outstanding.  Earlier in the year he was the same as Bryce.  Just think back to our illustrious season opener against Western Illinois.   I knew our season was f%#£@d after watching that game even though Bryce and Verge “got theirs”.

21 minutes ago, busticket said:

It depends to me.  If they can go off in the framework of the offense, definitely hurts.  When those players are hero ball shot hunters, it can be addition by subtraction in my opinion.  Guys like that make their teammates worse, not better.  I won’t miss Bryce.  Verge…I will miss final month Verge.  He was outstanding.  Earlier in the year he was the same as Bryce.  Just think back to our illustrious season opener against Western Illinois.   I knew our season was f%#£@d after watching that game even though Bryce and Verge “got theirs”.

I hear what you’re saying, but taking NBA talent off the roster & replacing it with above average talent it’s hard for me to see an improvement. Maybe the collective will come together to form a Winning WHOLE & maybe there’s enough Johnny Truebloods on the roster to instill that “fire in the belly” but until I see it on the Court, it’s all conversation…

On 5/4/2022 at 6:53 AM, Chuck Taylor said:

If you're looking to restock your Kool-Aid supply, check out Bart Torvik. His algo sees us finishing 16-15, 8-12 in the BIG. OK, it's not strong Kool-Ad, but ...

If you're wondering how he gets us there, here are the scoring projections.

https://www.barttorvik.com/rosters23.php?team=Nebraska&year=2022

PLAYER YR HT PRPG! MIN% ORTG USAGE PPG RPG APG
Derrick Walker Sr 6-9 3.8 80 112 20 14.6 7.6 1.8
Keisei Tominaga Jr 6-2 2.5 76 104 20 13.5 3.4 1.6
C.J. Wilcher So 6-5 2.3 69 106 18 10.2 3.4 1.4

Torvik's updated roster shows:

Derrick Walker Sr 6-9 3.8 80 112 20 14.5 7.6 1.8
Emmanuel Bandoumel Sr 6-4 2.4 77 102 20 12.8 4.1 1.8
C.J. Wilcher So 6-5 2.3 69 106 18 10.1 3.4 1.4
Sam Griesel Sr 6-6 2.2 66 103 20 8.8 4.3 2

A little more realistic, Kensei down to 5 ppg (lost minutes to EB). The algo now sees us as 15-16, 7-13 in the BIG. (tied for 12th with NW). Minny is last.

We're ranked last in "talent," not sure how that's figured, but lead in "experience" at 2.48 years per player. We're in the middle in returning minutes 

4 hours ago, Chuck Taylor said:

Torvik's updated roster shows:

Derrick Walker Sr 6-9 3.8 80 112 20 14.5 7.6 1.8
Emmanuel Bandoumel Sr 6-4 2.4 77 102 20 12.8 4.1 1.8
C.J. Wilcher So 6-5 2.3 69 106 18 10.1 3.4 1.4
Sam Griesel Sr 6-6 2.2 66 103 20 8.8 4.3 2

A little more realistic, Kensei down to 5 ppg (lost minutes to EB). The algo now sees us as 15-16, 7-13 in the BIG. (tied for 12th with NW). Minny is last.

We're ranked last in "talent," not sure how that's figured, but lead in "experience" at 2.48 years per player. We're in the middle in returning minutes 

Ahhh.  Bart Torvik is pretty close to my line of thinking on the team.  Not sure if that is a good thing…

7 BIG wins seems a little aggressive to me but I’d love to see it.  My hope is Alberts schedules 10 schools without a pulse and then we win another 5 in conference.  Actually, I hope for more than that but that is kind of the floor for where I’ll feel okay about next season.

On 5/27/2022 at 12:32 PM, Chuck Taylor said:

They have wild dunks!

They're like a family!

You forgot

There's so much more buy-in than last year

You can just see the talent level has really increased

They've really bonded as a team

Guys are working harder in practices than I've ever seen

Every single player is always the first one to get there and the last one to leave. It's remarkable really.

34 minutes ago, Handy Johnson said:

I’d LOVE to see Keita & Walker OWN the paint like a modern version of Elvin Hayse & Wes Unseld while our sharp shooters (CJ, Sam, Keisa) picked people apart from the outside. Go Hard or Go Home…! 

This has been my Nebrasketball dream for the last 20 years. Maybe this is the year!

On 5/27/2022 at 7:10 PM, Handy Johnson said:

I hear what you’re saying, but taking NBA talent off the roster & replacing it with above average talent it’s hard for me to see an improvement. Maybe the collective will come together to form a Winning WHOLE & maybe there’s enough Johnny Truebloods on the roster to instill that “fire in the belly” but until I see it on the Court, it’s all conversation…

On paper, you are correct that talent should equal better results but that is not always true.  When your two best players are only interesting in showcasing their talents to impress NBA scouts and the other 3 players are left standing around watching to see what is going to happen, that is not winning basketball.  When you put 5 guys on the court that only care about winning and not worried about their individual stats, they can compete with teams that "on paper" are more talented.  This is why guys like James Harden never win championships cause all he wants to do it shoot and not do all the little things it takes to win.  As long as he scores 40 points, he is happy.  Don't sell this year's NU basketball team short.  I agree that don't have the star power it did last year but honestly, I think that is a good thing.

24 minutes ago, kldm64 said:

When your two best players are only interesting in showcasing their talents to impress NBA scouts and the other 3 players are left standing around watching to see what is going to happen, that is not winning basketball. 

This completely obsolves the rest of the team of any accountability like those two players were the single reason for the teams struggles last year. 

We had the worst defense in the Big Ten by 7 points and got outrebounded by 7 every game! Of course our pace is a part of this but this team should be significantly less leaky from the perimeter and if there's a blow by we have some rim protection. Also the less our big guys need to leave their man to help against penetration the more they can block out and rebound which will helps our biggest weakness. 

We lose our offensive playmakers but we should be able to make up for that by cutting turnovers from 13.4 (3rd worst in B10), which would also help our transition defense. 

5 hours ago, cornfed24-7 said:

This completely obsolves the rest of the team of any accountability like those two players were the single reason for the teams struggles last year. 

It absolutes does not.  But when 2 players have the ball in their hands 80% of the time, it makes it hard for others to contribute offensively and leads to poor team chemistry which seemed very obvious with last year's team.

19 minutes ago, kldm64 said:

It absolutes does not.  But when 2 players have the ball in their hands 80% of the time, it makes it hard for others to contribute offensively and leads to poor team chemistry which seemed very obvious with last year's team.

The way I read this is you are blaming last years struggles on 2 players for and if thats correct I think you are wrong. 

And even if I did agree with you a coach allowing 2 players to have the ball in their hands 80%(no idea the real % but lets roll with it) of the time leading to poor chemistry is the real problem.

14 minutes ago, cornfed24-7 said:

The way I read this is you are blaming last years struggles on 2 players for and if thats correct I think you are wrong. 

And even if I did agree with you a coach allowing 2 players to have the ball in their hands 80%(no idea the real % but lets roll with it) of the time leading to poor chemistry is the real problem.

Totally agree with you as just as frustrated with how Fred allowed the offense to be as bad as it was last year.  He basically gave the players all the freedom they wanted and even more frustrating that it took him 3/4 of the season to realize it wasn't working and try running more set plays.  And you are correct, I just threw out 80% as I have no idea either but do know there were many possessions in a row that only Bryce and Verge touched the ball.  It was a multiple of things last year and coaching is high on that list as well.  And obviously losing 2 key players with injury didn't help matters either.

24 minutes ago, kldm64 said:

Totally agree with you as just as frustrated with how Fred allowed the offense to be as bad as it was last year.  He basically gave the players all the freedom they wanted and even more frustrating that it took him 3/4 of the season to realize it wasn't working and try running more set plays.  And you are correct, I just threw out 80% as I have no idea either but do know there were many possessions in a row that only Bryce and Verge touched the ball.  It was a multiple of things last year and coaching is high on that list as well.  And obviously losing 2 key players with injury didn't help matters either.

And to be clear I don't disagree they weren't ball dominate and it didn't have an effect on chemistry. I think it was just one of the many many many issues with last years team 😁 

And its probably pretty obvious from my posts the main issue I believe is at the root of the problem is coaching.

Edited by cornfed24-7

15 hours ago, cornfed24-7 said:

And to be clear I don't disagree they weren't ball dominate and it didn't have an effect on chemistry. I think it was just one of the many many many issues with last years team 😁 

And its probably pretty obvious from my posts the main issue I believe is at the root of the problem is coaching.

Hard to argue with that as coaching was and has been less than impressive the past 4 seasons.