Year 4

1 hour ago, Handy Johnson said:

If Keita only averages 5 points a game, we’re in a LOT of trouble…

If you look at just his freshman year, Keita looked like a guy who could walk into the starting lineup and be an offensive weapon and rim protector for us. If he's recovered completely from his injury, he could be that guy still. But the short video I saw of him this last season gives me concern. He just didn't have the pep in his step that I remember from the year before. He looked like an old man running up and down the floor.

But that could have just been an issue of conditioning due to the lack of activity while recuperating and the time it takes to get up to game speed. Again, if he's recovered and returns to prior form, he could easily be a day-1 starter.

1 hour ago, Norm Peterson said:

If you look at just his freshman year, Keita looked like a guy who could walk into the starting lineup and be an offensive weapon and rim protector for us. If he's recovered completely from his injury, he could be that guy still. But the short video I saw of him this last season gives me concern. He just didn't have the pep in his step that I remember from the year before. He looked like an old man running up and down the floor.

But that could have just been an issue of conditioning due to the lack of activity while recuperating and the time it takes to get up to game speed. Again, if he's recovered and returns to prior form, he could easily be a day-1 starter.

I hear ya Norm, IF he’s healthy (and that’s a pretty big if) we need him to be a foundational piece of the Program moving forward & not just a bit player off the bench…

1 hour ago, busticket said:

That’s why I went with 5 points.  Like Norm I was very excited when he committed…looked like a massive difference maker in the paint for us.  Being Nebrasketball, I expect the broke down version of Keita.  

If we expect to be .500, he needs to put up at somewhere between 10-15 a night…

22 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

This summer, my beverage of choice will be gin and tonic rather than Kool-Aid.

Presumptive? starters:

Griesel: Summit League Stud. Can he do it at the Big Ten level? Big question mark there.

Bandoumel: 4th leading scorer for a solid mid-major SMU team, but shoots a middling 35% from three.

Wilcher: Clutch shooter and seems like a good kid but athletically underwhelming.

Gary: WTF? Who put him in the starting lineup with Walker? He got 15 min/gm at Alabama and shot 22% from three.

Walker: Can be a stud at times. Scores efficiently. Improved his FT shooting *tremendously.* Still undersized Big Ten 5.

The sliver lining to this starting 5 is that it's 5 guys who've played D-1 basketball. 2 months ago we didn't even have that.

33 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

This should easily be the best rebounding team we've had in the FH era. 

I was intrigue so I went and looked up stats for total rebounds per game during Hoibergs tenure. 

2019-2020

We ranked #12 in the BigTen with 35.4 rpg

1st ranked team had 40.4 rpg 

14th ranked team had 33.3 rpg

2020-2021

We ranked #8(tied) in the BigTen with 36.2 rpg

1st ranked team had 40.6 rpg 

14th ranked team had 33.7 rpg

2021-2022

We ranked #13 in the BigTen with 33.1 rpg

1st ranked team had 38.6 rpg 

14th ranked team had 30.7 rpg

22 hours ago, Chuck Taylor said:

And Tyrese Hunter, the Big 12 freshman of the year, at PG.

I think that was @busticket's point. Brockington was a transfer that shot 27% from 3 and came from an 11-14 Penn St team. Hunter, while a damn good recruit, was still gonna be a freshman in a P5 conf. Neither were a sure thing going into 2021 and they were picked to finish last. 

1 hour ago, The Polish Rifle said:

I think that was @busticket's point. Brockington was a transfer that shot 27% from 3 and came from an 11-14 Penn St team. Hunter, while a damn good recruit, was still gonna be a freshman in a P5 conf. Neither were a sure thing going into 2021 and they were picked to finish last. 

NOOOOOOOO! I'M NOT GOING TO DRINK THE KOOL-AID! I CAN'T HEAR YOU I'M NOT LISTENING TO THIS DON'T DO THIS TO ME ARGGHHH

1 hour ago, The Polish Rifle said:

I think that was @busticket's point. Brockington was a transfer that shot 27% from 3 and came from an 11-14 Penn St team. Hunter, while a damn good recruit, was still gonna be a freshman in a P5 conf. Neither were a sure thing going into 2021 and they were picked to finish last

So, you're saying we'll have at least one thing in common with last year's Iowa State team?

3 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

NOOOOOOOO! I'M NOT GOING TO DRINK THE KOOL-AID! I CAN'T HEAR YOU I'M NOT LISTENING TO THIS DON'T DO THIS TO ME ARGGHHH

After the last 3 nightmarish years it’s going to take waterboarding with kool aid to get some of us positive again.  I get it.  It’s been miserable.  

13 minutes ago, busticket said:

After the last 3 nightmarish years it’s going to take waterboarding with kool aid to get some of us positive again.  I get it.  It’s been miserable.  

Lol...I am in my 7th decade absorbed with this team.  Trust me when I say that we have never ever watched a really good team.  Yeah we have had some decent to good teams; but goodness, we have NEVER won a NCAA game...EVER.  Yet historically I have been the koolaid drinker with rose colored glasses.

We start getting a bit jazzed about our team, then reality sets in.  We seem to always miss out on that certain/uncertain je ne sais quoi. 

Will it be this year???

Edited by Huskerpapa

1 minute ago, Dead Dog Alley said:

Look at it this way: even at the pace of losing over the last three years, we would still have seven years to go before we drop below .500 all time.  So we've got that going for us, which is nice.

Oh God. We only have 7 more years of Hoiberg before our program drops below .500 all-time.

I might not sleep all week.

10 minutes ago, Dead Dog Alley said:

Look at it this way: even at the pace of losing over the last three years, we would still have seven years to go before we drop below .500 all time.  So we've got that going for us, which is nice.

Nebraska needs to buck this 3-season trend, and fast. NU went from never having had 20-loss seasons, ever, to having 3 straight such seasons. It sux. Time to do something 'above average' for a change, find lightning in a bottle, if you will! GBR!!

19 minutes ago, AuroranHusker said:

Nebraska needs to buck this 3-season trend, and fast. NU went from never having had 20-loss seasons, ever, to having 3 straight such seasons. It sux. Time to do something 'above average' for a change, find lightning in a bottle, if you will! GBR!!

Nebraska all time seasons with 18 losses or more:

1898-2010:   6

2010-2022:   9