Year 4

5 hours ago, Chuck Taylor said:

If you're looking to restock your Kool-Aid supply, check out Bart Torvik. His algo sees us finishing 16-15, 8-12 in the BIG. OK, it's not strong Kool-Ad, but ...

If you're wondering how he gets us there, here are the scoring projections.

https://www.barttorvik.com/rosters23.php?team=Nebraska&year=2022

PLAYER YR HT PRPG! MIN% ORTG USAGE PPG RPG APG
Derrick Walker Sr 6-9 3.8 80 112 20 14.6 7.6 1.8
Keisei Tominaga Jr 6-2 2.5 76 104 20 13.5 3.4 1.6
C.J. Wilcher So 6-5 2.3 69 106 18 10.2 3.4 1.4

28 PPG from Keisei and Walker?

interesting-very-interesting.gif

1. Sam Griesel

2. Quaran McPherson

3. Jamarques Lawrence

4. Ramel Lloyd

5. Denim Dawson

6. Keisei Tominaga

7. CJ Wilcher

8. Juwan Gary

9. Wilhelm Breidenbach

10. Derrick Walker

11. Blaise Keita

12. Oleg Kojenets

13. ??

I'm of the mindset that Trey and Lat are moving on. Having struck out on two shooters/scorers, do we still take another player from the portal? If yes, who?

2 hours ago, hugh42 said:

1. Sam Griesel

2. Quaran McPherson

3. Jamarques Lawrence

4. Ramel Lloyd

5. Denim Dawson

6. Keisei Tominaga

7. CJ Wilcher

8. Juwan Gary

9. Wilhelm Breidenbach

10. Derrick Walker

11. Blaise Keita

12. Oleg Kojenets

13. ??

I'm of the mindset that Trey and Lat are moving on. Having struck out on two shooters/scorers, do we still take another player from the portal? If yes, who?

If that #13 isn’t James Palmer or Terran Petteway, you better be ready to pack a lunch…

7 hours ago, hugh42 said:

1. Sam Griesel

2. Quaran McPherson

3. Jamarques Lawrence

4. Ramel Lloyd

5. Denim Dawson

6. Keisei Tominaga

7. CJ Wilcher

8. Juwan Gary

9. Wilhelm Breidenbach

10. Derrick Walker

11. Blaise Keita

12. Oleg Kojenets

13. ??

Oh we have to we don’t have a choice. The football team might win more games than us this year if we don’t add another SG that can score. 

On 5/4/2022 at 11:51 PM, OmahaHusker said:

Oh we have to we don’t have a choice. The football team might win more games than us this year if we don’t add another SG that can score. 

I agree this team still has holes to fill, just not sure its primarily SG.  If Bryce could average 17 points per game  while shooting 27% from 3, I imagine Lloyd could score at least 13+ if he played similar minutes (although probably not as efficient at 2 point FGs).   In fact, Lloyd may turn out to be a better scorer than Trey.  Lloyd will be a better defender than Bryce, but not near as good as Trey. 

Also have Lawrence who is 6'4" and a solid all-around offensive player who purportedly can shoot well from 3.  I am hoping he is a bit of a sleeper, I like his game.  Smooth, confident, nice stoke, but admittedly not super athletic.  His ability to defend will probably determine how much playing time he gets. 

Keisei is a total wild card at this point.  He struggled mightily last year, but jucos do tend to take about a year to adjust to power 5 ball.  There is still some potential he could improve his 3 point percentage closer to 40%, but his (lack of) defense may prevent him from getting on the court much.

Also still a small chance Trey returns.  Combine him with Gary and that would make for an elite defensive combo, but very poor offensive duo.

Would much rather see a quality stretch PF, but that doesn't seem to be a possibility at this point. 

Looking at our roster I can see this season going one of two ways.

1.  We play uptempo as we have been and we get killed.  We don’t have the offensive players to play that style.

2. We change are identity to a grinding, hard nosed defensive team that makes the high IQ basketball plays that lead to good shots, easy buckets and limited turnovers.  With SG at PG, I think this could work.  It would really help if Breidenbach gets his 3 point shot down… last year he looked very uncomfortable shooting from outside but supposedly he has it in him.  We need another player to step up outside of Wilcher to be reliable from 3 or other teams will pack it in.

It will be interesting to see how Fred coaches this group.  Or maybe some guys like Dawson and McPherson will surprise and be much better offensively than I am expecting.

I see the only path to success being a team that doesn't shoot the basketball a whole lot in the early stages of practice.  We have got to be an elite defensive team for this bunch to win.  Still look to run when we get the board, but we are going to have to play great defense.  No matter who was responsible for the defense last year, it was not good.  It now is going to have to be great.  I don't see many paths where this is not a pretty bad season.  The one I outlined is about the only way I can see it.  

1 hour ago, Milk said:

Have to think with Bandoumel the roster might be set.  Looks to be a defensive physical type team.  

Griesel/ McPherson

Bandoumel/ Lloyd/ Tominaga

Wilcher/ Dawson/ Lawrence

Gary/ Briedenbach

Walker/ Keita/ Kojenets

Not seeing a guy in that list who strikes me at this point as the kind of player who will want to call his own number all the time.

I am hoping this group of players are more efficient due to better shot selection and patience.   I think Griesel will lead us in that direction.   I like that the 2 transfers value defense and are well rounded which should hopefully help the rebounding.   Looks like a more steady blue collar type of team.

I believe the roster is now set. 

I do not see anyone on our roster that is prone to hero ball.  I will be interested in seeing which player or players truly want the ball at the end of the shot clock or when the game is on the line.  I trust there are some...but it is always interesting.   

The past few years that player(s) wanted the ball all the time not just when the shot clock ran down; which then restricted ball movement.  Gawd I hope we are over that phenomenon 

2 hours ago, basketballjones said:

So basically we look like this right now:

1. Griesel 

2. Bando

3. Gary

4. Walker

5. Kieta

or

1. Griesel

2. Bando

3. Wilcher

4. Gary

5. Walker

I just don't see certain guys coming back and the guys transferring in, doing so without the complete expectation of starting. 

That first group might be the worst shooting team in all of college BB.  Ha.  Inclined to go with the 2nd group as of now. 

Prediction-- next year's team is going to be almost the exact opposite of this past year's team.  Next year's team is going to play with grit and fire and energy and hustle, but is going to struggle in one-on-one situations and struggle to put the ball in the hoop.  Then, next year, people are going to say Fred is good at getting his players to play hard, but is clueless coaching offense (the exact opposite of this year).  And at some point, people are going to realize that things like grit, hustle, energy, effort, etc., are 90% about the players and about 10% the coach, even tho they thought it was the other way around all of last year. 

It's an interesting group.  I would still prefer he found a true stretch 4 who can also defend and rebound, but this is what we have now.  A lot of solid players, but no stars.  A little bit of mix-and-match roster.  Fred is going to have to earn his money in finding ways to help this group put the ball in the hoop.

Primary areas of concern:

1. Backup PG

2. No stretch PF

3. Lack of shooters

4. Rebounding?

Possible Wildcard:  Lawrence.  Really like his game.  Only question is whether he is strong enough and athletic enough to step in and play right away in the B1G.  If he can, he could be a factor with his shooting and all-around game. 

Questionmark:  Keita.  Have to admit, just wasn't that impressed based on the film I watched.  Hopefully he was still recovering from the foot injury (or whatever it was) and will be quicker and more explosive than his video. 

Edited by NUdiehard

1 hour ago, NUdiehard said:

That first group might be the worst shooting team in all of college BB.  Ha.  Inclined to go with the 2nd group as of now. 

Prediction-- next year's team is going to be almost the exact opposite of this past year's team.  Next year's team is going to play with grit and fire and energy and hustle, but is going to struggle in one-on-one situations and struggle to put the ball in the hoop.  Then, next year, people are going to say Fred is good at coaching defense but is clueless coaching offense (the exact opposite of this year).  And at some point, people are going to realize that things like grit, hustle, energy, effort, etc., are 90% about the players and about 10% the coach, even tho they thought it was the other way around all of last year. 

It's an interesting group.  I would still prefer he found a true stretch 4 who can also defend and rebound, but this is what we have now.  A lot of solid players, but no stars.  A little bit of mix-and-match roster.  Fred is going to have to earn his money in finding ways to help this group put the ball in the hoop.

Primary areas of concern:

1. Backup PG

2. No stretch PF

3. Lack of shooters

4. Rebounding?

Possible Wildcard:  Lawrence.  Really like his game.  Only question is whether he is strong enough and athletic enough to step in and play right away in the B1G.  If he can, he could be a factor with his shooting and all-around game. 

Questionmark:  Keita.  Have to admit, just wasn't that impressed based on the film I watched.  Hopefully he was still recovering from the foot injury (or whatever it was) and will be quicker and more explosive than his video. 

You're right. Complete opposite team. But I'll watch us go 0-30 if it's grit, hussle, effort vs. 10-22 with one on one, lazy hero ball. 

Wilhelm, in theory, answers a lot of our questions. But he's gotta show he's recovered and is committed to the aspects of the game that matter, not fake hussle plays and step back 3's. 

Agreed on your wildcards. I like our Freshman, have for a long time. And I really like what I have seen from Quaran McPherson in limited action and recruit tape. 

Agreed on Kieta. I'm really not sure what kind of player we're getting. Even if he is a world-beater - must JUCOs struggle in that first year regardless. 

2 hours ago, basketballjones said:

So basically we look like this right now:

1. Griesel 

2. Bando

3. Gary

4. Walker

5. Kieta

or

1. Griesel

2. Bando

3. Wilcher

4. Gary

5. Walker

I just don't see certain guys coming back and the guys transferring in, doing so without the complete expectation of starting. 

I think I'd go with lineup 2 with Wilhelm, Dawson, Lloyd as the top 3 rotational players.    Just a swag.