Year 4

If anyone wants to watch some south Alabama jaguar basketball, looks like a few of their full games are on YouTube. As @hhcmattsaid earlier in here, lots on matchup zone and it looks like an emphasis on ball pressuring the wings. Personnel wise, I think it could work here. Just need to get the right group on the floor. 

this is assuming Howard is coming of course

Edited by thrasher31

https://usajaguars.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster/coaches/adam-howard/1884

Adam Howard is in his fourth season with the South Alabama men’s basketball program.

During his first four seasons with the program, the Jaguars have gone 54-39 overall highlighted by a 20-11 record in 2019-20 that was the program’s first 20-win season since 2008-09.   Last year, USA went 17-11, its third straight season with 17 or more wins. South has also had a pair of individuals named all-Sun Belt Conference each of those years, the first time that has happened since 2008 and ’09.

Howard coordinates the Jaguars’ full- and half-court defensive sets, which has resulted in over 900 turnovers forced and 200 steals recorded the last two seasons.

His work with the post players led to all-Sun Belt recognition for Josh Ajayi both years as well.  He was a second-team selection after ranking in the league’s top 10 in scoring (16.4 ppg), rebounding (7.4 rpg) while leading the conference in field-goal percentage (.560) during the 2018-19 campaign, with Ajayi’s 10 double-doubles that winter second in the Sun Belt and the most by a USA player since 2013-14.  The forward was then named first-team all-SBC as a senior after once again ranking in the top 10 in the league with 14.6 points and 7.2 rebounds per outing, a Sun Belt-best 56.2 field-goal percentage and team-leading eight double-doubles.

Howard comes to Mobile after spending two seasons on the Troy men’s basketball staff. In 2016-17, Howard played a role in getting the Trojans to the NCAA Tournament, while winning the most games by a Troy team since 2003-04 and recording the largest win improvement in school history.

Troy was successful on the court and in the classroom, as the Trojans had the highest team GPA in the Sun Belt Conference two consecutive years.

In Howard’s time, Jordon Varnado and Wesley Person both earned all-Sun Belt honors in 2016-17 and 2017-18, and Person set a conference record for career 3-pointers.

He spent the prior season at Tennessee, where he worked with Josh Richardson, a First-Team all-SEC pick and the 40th pick in the 2015 NBA Draft.

The Ashland, Ky. native was also responsible for signing Kevin Punter, who was a junior college all-American. Punter averaged 22 points per game as a senior – 12th best in Division I – and his 905 points are the most in UT history by a two-year player.

In two seasons at Southern Miss, he helped the Golden Eagles compile a 56-17 record with two postseason appearances. USM tallied a school-record 29 wins in 2013-14, won a share of the Conference USA title and reached the quarterfinals of the NIT for the second straight season. That followed a 27-10 campaign in 2012-13 where Southern Miss recorded its first postseason win since 1988.

Howard started his coaching career in 2009 as a graduate assistant at Morehead State before moving into a full-time role a year later. In his second year on the staff, the Eagles went 25-10 overall and 13-5 in the Ohio Valley Conference, won the OVC Tournament, and upset No. 4 seed Louisville in the first round of the NCAA Tournament.

Two of MSU’s players that season went on to play professionally, including two-time Ohio Valley Player of the Year and 22nd overall pick in the 2011 NBA Draft, Kenneth Faried.

As a player, Howard earned four varsity letters at Western Kentucky from 2004-08 and played on three teams that advanced to postseason play.

The Hilltoppers went to the NIT in 2005 and 2006, and the Sweet 16 in the NCAA Tournament 2008. The 2008 team defeated Drake and San Diego in the first two rounds before falling to eventual Final Four participant UCLA. WKU won 96 games during his career, during which he received the Danny Rumph Most Outstanding Teammate award three times.

Howard is a graduate of Paul G. Blazer High School in Ashland, Ky. and has a bachelor’s degree in mass communication from Western Kentucky.

He and his wife, Renee, have a son, Eli, and a daughter, Emma.

21 minutes ago, Cowboy Kermit said:

Fred went and found himself a defensive coordinator.

However, South Alabama was 149th in adjusted defense last season. Nebraska was 179. USA was 305th in opp. OREB%, so he’ll fit right in.

They were good in eFG%, 2% and 3% in the Sun Belt, though. Looks like they caused a lot of turnovers, too.

• 4 weeks later...

If you're looking to restock your Kool-Aid supply, check out Bart Torvik. His algo sees us finishing 16-15, 8-12 in the BIG. OK, it's not strong Kool-Ad, but ...

If you're wondering how he gets us there, here are the scoring projections.

https://www.barttorvik.com/rosters23.php?team=Nebraska&year=2022

PLAYER YR HT PRPG! MIN% ORTG USAGE PPG RPG APG
Derrick Walker Sr 6-9 3.8 80 112 20 14.6 7.6 1.8
Keisei Tominaga Jr 6-2 2.5 76 104 20 13.5 3.4 1.6
C.J. Wilcher So 6-5 2.3 69 106 18 10.2 3.4 1.4

1 hour ago, Chuck Taylor said:

If you're looking to restock your Kool-Aid supply, check out Bart Torvik. His algo sees us finishing 16-15, 8-12 in the BIG. OK, it's not strong Kool-Ad, but ...

If you're wondering how he gets us there, here are the scoring projections.

https://www.barttorvik.com/rosters23.php?team=Nebraska&year=2022

PLAYER YR HT PRPG! MIN% ORTG USAGE PPG RPG APG
Derrick Walker Sr 6-9 3.8 80 112 20 14.6 7.6 1.8
Keisei Tominaga Jr 6-2 2.5 76 104 20 13.5 3.4 1.6
C.J. Wilcher So 6-5 2.3 69 106 18 10.2 3.4 1.4

🤣

I'll eat my hat if we finish above .500

Also, I'll eat everyone else's hat too.

Finishing .500 would mean no more losses to the Cal Riverside’s & Western Illinois of the World, all without your Top Two returning scorers. I’d love 💕 to get onboard, but I’ve got a sick feeling that “Rock Bottom” thread might hit a low colder than a well diggers a**…

On 4/1/2022 at 12:13 AM, thrasher31 said:

Game time: 1st half 20:00 - 10:00
-I'm 10 minutes of game film in, and haven't seen any match-up zone or zone

-No help from wings, full denial, especially to start possessions. Which I love

-Love the "instincts" and rules that seem to be taught to the bigs about when to hard-hedge, when to soft-hedge, and when to be in drop. It doesn't seem pre-determined at all. It's related to how and when the ball handler is coming off the ball screen or hand-off. If the big sees a dude coming with a head of steam, it seems clear the rule is to sprint out and hard hedge which makes perfect sense (make this guy stop and pass it). When it looks like they're searching off the ball-screen it's a lot of soft-hedge or drop coverage. Again, makes a lot of sense. 
-Lots of picking up the point guard with token full-court pressure off of makes and dead-balls. Good stuff. 
-Lots of pressure on SLOBs, which I love (never understood why people allow such free entries from SLOBs). 
-Noticing poor rebound in general. Lots of guys trying to block shots and whiffing. 

Game time: 1st half 9:59 - 0:00

-9:11 mark, here's some zone. Not seeing anything that says it's a "match-up" zone. Just some active hand and feet 2-3 zone here so far in this possession. 

-8:13 - 7:52, just another 2-3 zone possession. Noticed the guy who picked up the initial ball handler did not look like he had any plans on switching or passing the ball handler through the ball screen, which is interesting for zones but not uncommon.
-Noticing poor rebound in general. Lots of guys trying to block shots and whiffing. I think I'm at 6 offensive rebounds given up to this point. 
-7:52 - 6:08, this is still just a 2-3 zone folks. Very active, I'll give it that. I think we're at 8 offensive rebounds now. Louisiana's big man is about to break the rim on his missed dunk attempts. 
-6:08 - 4:35, this is still just a 2-3 zone. Now, Louisiana isn't exactly doing a ton of cutting or running a bunch of sets into this (necessarily). So, I can't confidently say this *isn't a match-up because it's not 100% clear if Louisiana is doing enough to make Southern Alabama show their hand. 

-4:34 - 0:00, still nothing that says this is a match-up and not just a 2-3 zone. 

First half observations: 

-Rebounding killed them. They should have been blowing these guys out with as hard as they were playing defensively. 

-Fouling killed them (double bonus by 4 minute mark).

-Loved their defensive intensity, activity, and commitment to being in a stance. 

-Noticed in their 2-3 that, say there's a dude in the corner and a dude on the wing, with a ball handler in the slot. The bottom defender in the 2-3 won't split the corner and wing guy - he will come up and be the level of the wing and force a skip pass. I like that, builds into a future rotation. 

I'll do the second half if I get time.