Year 4

10 minutes ago, brfrad said:

I was looking at it as if everyone stayed, we were at 15.  I don't know if the Big 10 allows oversigning now.  If not, I assumed Walker and Trey would not count, as they are using their Covid year.  I tried to do a very brief search, but didn't come up with anything.

Trey and Walker would still count.  It was only a one year reprieve where returning seniors didn't impact team scholarship totals.

Even though they are using the extra Covid year, they still count against our total.

2 hours ago, brfrad said:

I was looking at it as if everyone stayed, we were at 15.  I don't know if the Big 10 allows oversigning now.  If not, I assumed Walker and Trey would not count, as they are using their Covid year.  I tried to do a very brief search, but didn't come up with anything.

Your list included 13 scholarship players that have not advised they are leaving or decommitting. Where are you getting 15?

1 hour ago, dustystehl said:

Your list included 13 scholarship players that have not advised they are leaving or decommitting. Where are you getting 15?

That included the ones who are leaving (Bryce, Andre, and Edwards).  I was saying they had 15 scholarship players coming back, IF everyone came back, which didn't happen.   I thought the Big Ten rule was you couldn't oversign.  But, it may have changed.  I'm sure the compliance department knows more than myself.  

So, if Armon stays as suggested, they need an ACE recruiter. I know Armon was praised for his recruiting when he originally came (lead on Nance and kopp at NW and was lead on MAW under Tim Miles), but we haven't seen it, mainly because Matt has led the entire recruiting department and from a birds eye view has had a say in every player. But, still would like to have an energetic recruiter on staff that has connections. 

There's been zero speculation on who it could be. I'm trying to remember, was Nate Loesner an out of the blue hire, or was he rumored 

roster as of right now:

pg-griesel, lloyd, mcpherson

sg- mcgowens, tominaga, lawrence

sf- wilcher, dawson, 

pf-mayan, breidenbach

c-walker, keita, Oleg

i would guess we see at least 1 or 2 more transfers.

I think we still have work to do in the transfer portal if we want any chance of being above .500 next year.

I am sort of speculating that Oleg and Briedenbach will be slotted more as "PF" while DW and Blaise will man a more classic post position.  We shall see how things work out...especially if the players raise their collective basketball IQ's.  Sounds like Fed wants to mesh his offensive schemes to his players.

1 hour ago, FredsSlacks said:

roster as of right now:

sf- wilcher, dawson, 

pf-mayan, breidenbach

c-walker, keita, Oleg

I think we still have work to do in the transfer portal if we want any chance of being above .500 next year.

That roster isn’t going to strike fear in opponents.

1 hour ago, FredsSlacks said:

roster as of right now:

sf- wilcher, dawson, 

pf-mayan, breidenbach

c-walker, keita, Oleg

NU having another real salty sharpshooter and a legit '4' are musts to be highly competitive during the 2022-23 season!

We have a long way to go.  Yes, year-end play provided some hope; but we need to become consistent in almost every phase of the game.

I swore that I would not buy into any preseason hype.  There is some proving to do. 

* we have to replace our top scorers

* most of our team will be considered unknown entities. 

* roster and staff not yet settled

* team character needs improvement 

* team chemistry remains unknown

* how do we react to the win, or else edict?

* even on those returning, how will they build their game?

And finally, take a look around the league, what evidence exists that gives us hope of jumping over (say) seven teams???

Not trying to be a Debbie downer; but I repeat, we have a long way to go.

Edited by Huskerpapa

2 hours ago, FredsSlacks said:

roster as of right now:

sf- wilcher, dawson, 

pf-mayan, breidenbach

c-walker, keita, Oleg

If I’m guessing right now, I think we have a starting lineup of:

Griesel (PG on O, SF on D)

McGowens (SG on O, PG on D)

Lloyd (SF on O, SG on D)

Wilcher (PF)

Walker (C)

I think that’s actually a pretty formidable lineup.  If Wilcher is making shots, he can outscore his matchup.  If not, there are a lot of options with traditional PFs.  Lloyd is the guard we’ve been missing on defense, IMO.  Griesel can’t guard PGs, but Trey can guard the hell out of them. 

29 minutes ago, Huskerpapa said:

We have a long way to go.  Yes, year-end play provided some hope; but we need to become consistent in almost every phase of the game.

I swore that I would not buy into any preseason hype.  There is some proving to do. 

* we have to replace our top scorers

* most of our team will be considered unknown entities. 

* roster and staff not yet settled

* team character needs improvement 

* team chemistry remains unknown

* how do we react to the win, or else edict?

* even on those returning, how will they build their game?

And finally, take a look around the league, what evidence exists that gives us hope of jumping over (say) seven teams???

Not trying to be a Debbie downer; but I repeat, we have a long way to go.

One thing we need to keep in mind here is, at least as it stands now, we aren't going to see the massive roster turnover like we have in Fred's first three years.  Not needing to spend the first 2/3 of the season getting to know everyone should pay some dividends.  Plus the Big Ten got 9 teams into the tournament this year.  We may not need to jump over seven teams, maybe just four or five.

Yes, the task may seem daunting, but it's not like it hasn't been done before.