Year 4

Just some thoughts on what needs to happen this off-season. 

Stay old -  I think bringing Walker and or Trey back is important for next year’s success.  For a school like Nebraska, frankly any Big 10 program being old is a key to success.  This also means limiting turnover. I think apart from 1 or 2- we need to bring this roster back. We need to build.  Establish a work ethic and culture. Keep guys around- and together.

Recruiting -  I think this will be the biggest shift in philosophy we will see.  Really would like to stay away from journeyman 1 year eligibility  players, unless it is a shot at someone like a Bryce McGowens.  Just think it takes a lot of time to get them to buy in, mesh, and their emotional investment doesnt seem as strong. The talent level is absolutely there. Meshing the roster into a cohesive unit… not so much.  It started to come together the last few weeks as we saw. Too little too late.  Recruiting girth with skill- is something we must have. 

I think we will see a shift in recruiting. I think we are going to see a lot of current players come back. I think cohesion is going to be a priority.

Physicality -  We need to be stronger obviously. I think we have recruited a physical big in Keita.  Beyond recruiting I think we need to teach it.  Im not so sure we have, maybe im wrong, but reboundig is a mindset- and we gotta get tougher.

Defense - We need a fresh look. Need fresh ideas. I hope Fred brings in a D coordinater that has Big 10 basketball experience. 

I agree. I know Fred and a Lotta coaches thrive in the portal,  and I see it's inevitable,  it's a part of the game and a certain chunk of your roster will be those guys. But Imo you HAVE to limit those as much as you can, and fill your roster with recruits and local kids who buy in, aren't mercenaries. The team didn't buy in for most if the year because people weren't here for the right reasons more or less, were here selfishly. Have to recruit the right guys, and like you said,  PLEASE, recruit SIZE!

44 minutes ago, Chuck Taylor said:

I don't think anyone is definitely coming back. We have no idea what these kids are thinking, and I don't mean that in a bad way. WB is from Cali, maybe he's homesick. Matt A recruited him, what if he leaves? 

We just have no idea what the roster is going to look like. Hope for the best.

I agree, but it's always fun to speculate.

100 % gone

Verge

Kobe

Lakes

99 % gone

Bryce

Trey

75 % gone

Lat

Andre

Walker

Keon

Good chance of coming back

Wilcher

Wilhelm

McPherson

Cronin (walk-on)

Hoiberg (walk-on)

McGraw (walk-on)

Piatkowski (walk-on)

Dawson

Kesei

Wilhelm

Oleg

Recruits

Lloyd

Blaise

Lawrence

To me year 4 is about figuring out if Hoiberg is going to be the guy in year 5 and it's probably about him putting together the right coaching staff.

Another way to frame this:  I'd rather see a program with the talent to win 10 games win 16 games than a team with the talent to win 18 games to win 10 games because we can't build on the latter. 

47 minutes ago, brfrad said:

I agree, but it's always fun to speculate.

100 % gone

Verge

Kobe

Lakes

99 % gone

Bryce

Trey

75 % gone

Lat

Andre

Walker

Keon

Good chance of coming back

Wilcher

Wilhelm

McPherson

Cronin (walk-on)

Hoiberg (walk-on)

McGraw (walk-on)

Piatkowski (walk-on)

Dawson

Kesei

Wilhelm

Oleg

Recruits

Lloyd

Blaise

Lawrence

Yep, you are probably correct. I think Walker would come back but he is 24 years old already so he might be ready to move on.  Either way, could be a rough year again next year.

41 minutes ago, kldm64 said:

Yep, you are probably correct. I think Walker would come back but he is 24 years old already so he might be ready to move on.  Either way, could be a rough year again next year.

I had heard that D-Walk was likely in a position to be a 65% to 'come back' type of deal. I hope Trey comes back, and convinces his bro to do a "dynamic duo" one more yr.

Beyond that, I hope Freddy keeps Loenser and his other coaching staff moves on elsewhere. . .

Particularly for Walker and Trey I think it is really a question of how much "NIL" money the University can scrape together to pay them for another season.   That is (unfortunately) the world of major college athletics now - how big is your budget for paying the players and how do you allocate that payroll among the available options.   For those two we have to be able to at least match what they might make playing professionally overseas.

Edited by HuskerBB

I think finishing his Master's Degree is important and therefore I think Walker will be back for one more season. 

I think either both McGowens come back or neither will. I've been saying 20% chance they come back.

I will not be upset if Lat pursues a professional career.

I don't understand why folks think Andre is leaving. He is the type of player that really benefited from the COVID year. He didn't even start playing basketball until he had been a teenager a couple years. He will just be a sophomore next year, and likely in the same role he was in this year. A lot of sophomores would love to be the backup center on a power conference team! I hope he continues to bulk up and sticks around. You need rim protectors in the B1G. He can definitely be that for us.

I hope Tominaga sticks around Lincoln during the off-season to get his body more prepared for this level of basketball. A full off-season in our strength and conditioning program certainly wouldn't hurt.

Cohesion and continuity are crucial for this program. There are only two guys on the roster whose departure from the program wouldn't bother me.

1 hour ago, uneblinstu said:

I find it interesting that so many think Keon has one foot out the door.

He's sort of an enigma.  He's a guy who physically looks like he could be a B1G SF but in any situation that involves any sort of pressure makes the wrong decision.  We simultaneously need more players and but less turnover. He seems like the poster child for us choosing Rivals ratings over fit.  Would love the be pleasantly surprised but seems destined for an Alonzo Edwards type career. 

1 hour ago, dustystehl said:

I don't understand why folks think Andre is leaving. He is the type of player that really benefited from the COVID year. He didn't even start playing basketball until he had been a teenager a couple years. He will just be a sophomore next year, and likely in the same role he was in this year. A lot of sophomores would love to be the backup center on a power conference team! I hope he continues to bulk up and sticks around. You need rim protectors in the B1G. He can definitely be that for us.

I think it's more about him not being happy here than us wanting him to leave; think Thomas Allen.

Here's year 4 in my book:  Alberts saved the department millions of dollars. He'll find out if Hoiberg can put a staff/team together that can compete in the B1G.  If not, that gives him time to have a coaching replacement in hand. Not unlike football.  I hope things work out for both programs.  Football looks in better shape than basketball, but you never know.....

10 minutes ago, Huskerpapa said:

I did see a husker coach at the State Tournament game today.  He attended the Ashand-Greenwood v. Kearney Catholic game.  My guess is that was taking a gander at the Jacobson kid from A/G.

That was Loesner, I believe. He's been a lot more active on the recruiting front, especially locally. 

Washut put out his predictions on who stays/goes this morning.

Bryce:  Gone

Lakes:  Could apply for a medical redshirt but gone regardless

Edwards:  Gone

Tominaga:  Gone

Lat & Trey:  Both likely gone, but wouldn't rule either 100% out

Andre, Wilcher, Walker, McPherson, Oleg, Dawson:  Back

Edited by nustudent

21 minutes ago, nustudent said:

Washut put out his predictions on who stays/goes this morning.

Andre, Wilcher, Walker, McPherson, Oleg, Dawson:  Back

The portal better be kind....even adding Breidenbach to that list, that's a bad roster.   Really bad.   In a year you supposedly need to win.