Year 4

1 hour ago, HB said:

Gonna be tough anyway.   Those recruits aren't going to come in and win in this league right away.   Assuming everyone is pretty much right on who is not coming back, that roster is not competitive.  As distasteful as it is, we're gonna need a couple of really good difference makers from the portal to give it a chance.

No doubt we will need at least 2 transfers to fill gaps.  Freshman, no matter how good, are not going to come in and dominate the B1G in their first year. But getting all the current commits on to campus is important not only for next season, but potentially the next four years.  If we get all 4 of them here, for the first time we should have a solid base to build upon for many years (especially when you add Wilhelm, Wilcher, Andre, Oleg, McPherson, etc)  That is why it is so important, and it would be very unfortunate if Matt A's departure results in a loss of any, let alone multiple, current commits.  This is a rebuild and next year may be ground zero.  I know nobody wants to hear that, but if these guys can at least compete next year, and show signs they can grow and develop into a strong core in the following years, then I am good with that. 

15 minutes ago, nustudent said:

Virtually everyone does.  Going to the portal isn't a bad thing.   It's the volume of it at this point.   Adding 1-2 pieces to fill enhance your roster/fill needs is perfectly fine.  

We do need to end the cycle of taking 5 transfers to fill spots each year.  I've accepted that Bryce, Trey and Lat are gone.   I'm hoping Tominaga is too.   After that...I hope everyone stays for consistency and we can fill in 2 spots with transfers.

‘I’m hoping for 3 and I hope the PG has 2-3 years left. Be nice to have stability at that spot

14 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

Wow.  Always got to be someone on the radar who we want to force out.  “Hope they are gone”.  The record on guys we “hope” would leave but didn’t is pretty good.  Ubel, Benny, Tai, Thor, etc.  How about hoping people stick around and work hard to improve their game.  Keisei wasn’t our issue this year and he’d be one to happily take on a role.

He wasn't our issue.  But he doesn't fix our issues either.   And we know there is going to be attrition.   So we may as well hope it comes from someone that is relatively easily replaceable.  It's not personal...but spots may be at a premium.  

Edited by nustudent

3 minutes ago, nustudent said:

He wasn't our issue.  But he doesn't fix our issues either.   And we know there is going to be attrition.   So we may as well hope it comes from someone that is relatively easily replaceable.  It's not personal...but spots may be at a premium.  

I am good with him being a role player 7-9 type guy. You just can’t have him out there with a Webster at the same time. Even worse with those two and Bryce / Wilcher. Hard to defend anyone when we rolled out that group together 

8 minutes ago, Art Vandalay said:

I am good with him being a role player 7-9 type guy. You just can’t have him out there with a Webster at the same time. Even worse with those two and Bryce / Wilcher. Hard to defend anyone when we rolled out that group together 

I guess I just don't see how he is in that 7-9 range AND us improve dramatically as a team.   Especially without seeing who else we add.

Edited by nustudent

2 minutes ago, nustudent said:

I guess I just don't see how he is in that 7-9 range AND us improve dramatically as a team.   

I just view 8-9 guys as not regular minutes. I think he can still be a good shooter of the bench in some match ups. It takes juco guys a while to get up to speed, especially at his size. Don’t care to much either way though

The thing that I keep going back to with the roster right now, someone is going to need to go to the portal. They have 1 PG on the roster next year and once the decisions are made for the seniors/draft guys (Trey/Lat leaving and Bryce going pro) we'll be at 1 scholarship open with a hole at the PG and a hole at the 4. And that's without anyone leaving. You could possibly see more than 1 leave also. So Keisei leaving, despite how much I like him, may be a necessity. Could be Keon and Andre also for all we know, but attrition is gonna happen. I think that's what @nustudentis trying to get at. 

Obviously this is without considering the recruits incoming. I'm working under the assumption all come though. That topic can be figured out later once we OFFICIALLY know who's leaving/going. 

Edited by thrasher31

1 minute ago, Art Vandalay said:

I just view 8-9 guys as not regular minutes. I think he can still be a good shooter of the bench in some match ups. It takes juco guys a while to get up to speed, especially at his size. Don’t care to much either way though

That's fair.   I guess I view that 8-9 spot as being part of the regular rotation.  10-13 is what I view as not regular minutes.

I guess I look at it in that we already have a guy in Wilcher who kind of fills the roll of the shooter and a guy like Lawrence coming in who is supposedly known for his shooting ability.   

Becomes a scenario of filling holes and needing spots.  I don't think we have to boot him if spots open up elsewhere.   Just saying if someone is going to go....he's the first guy on the list for me.

Just now, thrasher31 said:

The thing that I keep going back to with the roster right now, someone is going to need to go to the portal. They have 1 PG on the roster next year and once the decisions are made for the seniors/draft guys (Trey/Lat leaving and Bryce going pro) we'll be at 1 scholarship open with a hold at the PG and a hole at the 4. And that's without anyone leaving. You could possibly see more than 1 leave also. So Keisei leaving, despite how much I like him, may be a necessity. Could be Keon and Andre also for all we know, but attrition is gonna happen. I think that's what @nustudentis trying to get at. 

Obviously this is without considering the recruits incoming. I'm working under the assumption all come though. That topic can be figured out later once we OFFICIALLY know who's leaving/going. 

Correct.   We have needs to fill, which means we need to have open spots.   Keisei's ceiling is lower than basically everyone else that is returning.  

7 minutes ago, nustudent said:

That's fair.   I guess I view that 8-9 spot as being part of the regular rotation.  10-13 is what I view as not regular minutes.

I guess I look at it in that we already have a guy in Wilcher who kind of fills the roll of the shooter and a guy like Lawrence coming in who is supposedly known for his shooting ability.   

Becomes a scenario of filling holes and needing spots.  I don't think we have to boot him if spots open up elsewhere.   Just saying if someone is going to go....he's the first guy on the list for me.

If Lawrence pans out I agree. We need at least 2 more above average shooters besides CJ. 

Just now, Art Vandalay said:

If Lawrence pans out I agree. We need at least 2 more above average shooters besides CJ. 

I agree.   But I think/hope we can find that in players that are multi-faceted and not just solely out there for shooting.  Tominaga basically only brings shooting to the table.  And he really wasn't all the good at that.  If you can't help out elsewhere, you need to be better than what he was at that skill.

2 hours ago, NUdiehard said:

No doubt we will need at least 2 transfers to fill gaps.  Freshman, no matter how good, are not going to come in and dominate the B1G in their first year. But getting all the current commits on to campus is important not only for next season, but potentially the next four years.  If we get all 4 of them here, for the first time we should have a solid base to build upon for many years (especially when you add Wilhelm, Wilcher, Andre, Oleg, McPherson, etc)  That is why it is so important, and it would be very unfortunate if Matt A's departure results in a loss of any, let alone multiple, current commits.  This is a rebuild and next year may be ground zero.  I know nobody wants to hear that, but if these guys can at least compete next year, and show signs they can grow and develop into a strong core in the following years, then I am good with that. 

What cracks me up is "a rebuild".   From 2 last place and  13th place finishes.  Typically rebuild means it was built first.    If this doesn't test us nothing will.  

5 minutes ago, HB said:

What cracks me up is "a rebuild".   From 2 last place and  13th place finishes.  Typically rebuild means it was built first.    If this doesn't test us nothing will.  

I think you're right HB.  Erection is a more fitting word. Actually, erection dysfunction might be the way to describe this program...

55 minutes ago, Chuck Taylor said:

A lot of people will be happy to see him go, but be careful what you wish for. Lot of guys on the roster have ties to him. 

Let's be clear that if we lose players or recruits out of this it's because MA put himself into position to no longer be employed here, not because we're wishing him away.