Year 4

Just now, thrasher31 said:

I'm working under the assumption Walker comes back honestly. I think he has one year of grad school left and can get a kick start on his trucking business with any NIL deals. Makes a ton of sense. 

I think he’s back as well,  but if there’s one thing I’ve learned in following CBB, it’s expect the unexpected with rosters.

32 minutes ago, nustudent said:

I don't think Walker is completely unplayable at the 4.   He might not be ideal, but he situationally, he can play there.

And for a team/program that is routinely devoid of talent, depth and often both at the 5, I can live with having 4 guys there.

Not a fan of Walker at the 4 at all.  In his two years at NU, I can't remember a single shot that wasn't either a layup or a baby-hook.  He can't dribble and can't shoot.  The opponent wouldn't even guard him outside of 5 feet from the hoop.  With that said, Hoiberg did play Andre and Walker together for a few minutes during that OSU game with so much foul trouble, but I just don't think it is a long-term solution at all.  Need to find a PF who can shoot and handle a bit. 

With that said, Dawson is listed at 6'6".  When I watch him during warmups, he looks all of that and maybe more.    I don't know if he has the skill to play next year, but he could maybe be an undersized PF if we are in a pinch.  He seems quite a bit taller than Wilcher, who played a lot of 4 this year.

8 minutes ago, thrasher31 said:

Just caught up with what washut said, something I found interesting is IF Abdelmassih is let go, Kieta is the main one to worry about asking to be released from LOI. Lawrence seems solid based on his relationship with CJ. Ramel Lloyd might be the same case as Kieta based on his relationship with Abdelmassih. 

If they only lose 1, and preferably Kieta, that I can swallow. Both? That's a tough pill to swallow. 

Quite the gamble

8 minutes ago, NUdiehard said:

Not a fan of Walker at the 4 at all.  In his two years at NU, I can't remember a single shot that wasn't either a layup or a baby-hook.  He can't dribble and can't shoot.  The opponent wouldn't even guard him outside of 5 feet from the hoop.  With that said, Hoiberg did play Andre and Walker together for a few minutes during that OSU game with so much foul trouble, but I just don't think it is a long-term solution at all.  Need to find a PF who can shoot and handle a bit. 

With that said, Dawson is listed at 6'6".  When I watch him during warmups, he looks all of that and maybe more.    I don't know if he has the skill to play next year, but he could maybe be an undersized PF if we are in a pinch.  He seems quite a bit taller than Wilcher, who played a lot of 4 this year.

I don't think he's ideal.   But situationally it can work.   We can start with Wilhelm at 4 and Walker at 5.   Against bigger teams he can play the 4 and Keita comes in at 5.  It just gives you another chess piece to use.

I don't see Dawson as a 4.   But that's where I am okay with keeping a guy like Edwards.   He can possibly develop into an undersized stretch 4.  

Edited by nustudent

Just now, nustudent said:

The recruiting dilemma is why I am fine if Matt comes back.  I'm okay if he is, as long as there is more oversight and true evaluation rather than just letting him go.

I prefer him gone honestly, but if it costs potentially 2 rotation players next year, it makes it a harder decision. 

Just now, uneblinstu said:

If you can put more structure around Matt, I'd be ok with him sticking around. Maybe that's one of the changes. Give him a shopping list, don't put him on supermarket sweep. 

From what I was told today, Matt A will not be back. Also sounds like they are letting Doc decide if he wants to return in the same non-coaching role or not.

8 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

I think Doc would be great in an Admin role!  He loves this university!  If he wants to continue coaching, I can respect that too.

I want Doc to be in Lincoln forever. It'd be great if he worked within the Athletic Department in some capacity. Unrelated, but I would love to have a beer (or 6) with Doc. 

21 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

I think Doc would be great in an Admin role!  He loves this university!  If he wants to continue coaching, I can respect that too.

Read that as him deciding whether or not he wants to come back in the special assistant role he was already in this year.

1 hour ago, kldm64 said:

From what I was told today, Matt A will not be back. Also sounds like they are letting Doc decide if he wants to return in the same non-coaching role or not.

Boy if we losing this recruiting class its gonna be tough..  That was one of the reason I was open to giving Fred another year and to have that go out the window will be not good.

22 minutes ago, ConkintheCorner said:

Boy if we losing this recruiting class its gonna be tough..  That was one of the reason I was open to giving Fred another year and to have that go out the window will be not good.

Gonna be tough anyway.   Those recruits aren't going to come in and win in this league right away.   Assuming everyone is pretty much right on who is not coming back, that roster is not competitive.  As distasteful as it is, we're gonna need a couple of really good difference makers from the portal to give it a chance.

2 hours ago, nustudent said:

The recruiting dilemma is why I am fine if Matt comes back.  I'm okay if he is, as long as there is more oversight and true evaluation rather than just letting him go.

What is needed to solve the "recruiting dilemma" is to have the head coach recruit.    The beat writers have consistently stated "it's well known that Fred can't stand recruiting" (McKewon said a paraphrase of this just this week on Sharp and Benning).  Well, he needs to either decide he'll actively recruit, or find something different to do.  This is not gonna work at this place without a full, dogged effort by the head coach himself.    Oversight and evaluation is a good start, but we need more.  

6 minutes ago, HB said:

What is needed to solve the "recruiting dilemma" is to have the head coach recruit.    The beat writers have consistently stated "it's well known that Fred can't stand recruiting" (McKewon said a paraphrase of this just this week on Sharp and Benning).  Well, he needs to either decide he'll actively recruit, or find something different to do.  This is not gonna work at this place without a full, dogged effort by the head coach himself.    Oversight and evaluation is a good start, but we need more.  

I wont disagree.   The dilemma I was referring to was the potential departures if we let Matt A go.  We're late in the game now and we won't find guys better than what we have.

1 hour ago, ConkintheCorner said:

Hopefully no matter what happens, we keep the recruits but depends on who they have the best relationship with and how badly they want to play for Nebraska and/or in the Big 10

Edited by kldm64

1 hour ago, nustudent said:

I wont disagree.   The dilemma I was referring to was the potential departures if we let Matt A go.  We're late in the game now and we won't find guys better than what we have.

Correct.   it is late in the game and a recovery will be extremely difficult; but hoping for one nonetheless.  But another reason why I don't think we have a choice but to go back to the portal again.   

7 minutes ago, HB said:

Correct.   it is late in the game and a recovery will be extremely difficult; but hoping for one nonetheless.  But another reason why I don't think we have a choice but to go back to the portal again.   

Virtually everyone does.  Going to the portal isn't a bad thing.   It's the volume of it at this point.   Adding 1-2 pieces to fill enhance your roster/fill needs is perfectly fine.  

We do need to end the cycle of taking 5 transfers to fill spots each year.  I've accepted that Bryce, Trey and Lat are gone.   I'm hoping Tominaga is too.   After that...I hope everyone stays for consistency and we can fill in 2 spots with transfers.

1 minute ago, nustudent said:

I've accepted that Bryce, Trey and Lat are gone.   I'm hoping Tominaga is too.  

Wow.  Always got to be someone on the radar who we want to force out.  “Hope they are gone”.  The record on guys we “hope” would leave but didn’t is pretty good.  Ubel, Benny, Tai, Thor, etc.  How about hoping people stick around and work hard to improve their game.  Keisei wasn’t our issue this year and he’d be one to happily take on a role.