Year 4

13 hours ago, a0t0w0 said:

Well this thread went to shit.

Let me attempt to resurrect it.

For as much as I have taken a "show me" attitude about this program going into this season, I'm actually hearing some encouraging things coming out of Hendricks this summer. It sounds like someone must have been listening last season when Kobe Webster hinted there was no accountability. Sound like this year there is no team prima donna who thinks the rules don't apply to him, which has been a real problem in the past. Sounds like the team is developing some accountability. And some cohesion.

Still have question marks about where the points are going to come from. But at least they're acting like a team this year for basically the first time in Hoiberg's tenure here. Fingers crossed that this will somehow translate into more wins

15 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

For as much as I have taken a "show me" attitude about this program going into this season, I'm actually hearing some encouraging things coming out of Hendricks this summer. It sounds like someone must have been listening last season when Kobe Webster hinted there was no accountability. Sound like this year there is no team prima donna who thinks the rules don't apply to him, which has been a real problem in the past. Sounds like the team is developing some accountability. And some cohesion.

Still have question marks about where the points are going to come from. But at least they're acting like a team this year for basically the first time in Hoiberg's tenure here. Fingers crossed that this will somehow translate into more wins

That's it Norm, sip on that kool-aid....soon you'll be polishing your dancing shoes like me.

53 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

And let me just add: This "rules for thee but not for me" attitude was tolerated by the man in charge, but it was facilitated/enabled by a certain assistant who is no longer here. And that might have something to do with why we're not seeing it happening now. Thank goodness.

If there is a significant difference in our record this year compared to the last three, I know some folks who know some things who will identify one staff change as being the primary reason why.

A bit of a nutshell that Keisei is a situational player and his playing time should be dependent on a combination of 

- Is he 'feeling it'

- Is the other team exploiting him

image.png

Besides him being more experienced, I think that being paired with bigger guys like Griesel and Lloyd at PG instead of Verge and Webster makes his lack of size easier to hide on the court. Speaking of experienced, he's 1 of the 7 guys on the roster with D-1 experience so I'd expect a role for him at the beginning of the season.

31 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

A bit of a nutshell that Keisei is a situational player and his playing time should be dependent on a combination of 

- Is he 'feeling it'

- Is the other team exploiting him

image.png

Besides him being more experienced, I think that being paired with bigger guys like Griesel and Lloyd at PG instead of Verge and Webster makes his lack of size easier to hide on the court. Speaking of experienced, he's 1 of the 7 guys on the roster with D-1 experience so I'd expect a role for him at the beginning of the season.

For a team that will, in all likelihood, lack scoring… I think you have to carve out a role for him.  Especially early.

• 2 weeks later...

Well this all sounds promising.   I like the reminder that Wilhelm was/is a 4* player.  He is stronger and bigger...and well, he wants to play defense.

Will is one of the players that I didn't have a problem with last year.  Yeah he did some stupid things, sure.  But I personally see him as a positive.  I'm glad he is back.

https://247sports.com/college/nebraska/Article/Nebraska-Huskers-Wilhelm-Breidenback-talks-about-injury-rehab-190891143/

Let's not pretend that Australia is a chump team.  That team is consistently pretty good. 

He got hot against a team that at worst doesn't suck.

He needs work but the points of being surrounded by bigger guards and filling a role are valid.

He has a place if he can keep improving. 

Edited by kleitus

• 2 weeks later...

I've been away from this board, along with the private one I frequent (all Huskers sports with a heavy lean towards football), for an extended period of time. A combination of needing a break and getting my son to all of his baseball games as he completed his last year of youth select baseball along with starting to get him ready for HS Baseball tryouts next year and pre-season HS Wrestling workouts. He's going to be freshman.

I hadn't really thought a lot about basketball until I got my season ticket renewal form in the mail. This was the first year I didn't immediately consider upgrading my tickets from 200 level to 100 level. As a mater of fact I waited a week before actually renewing my season tickets.  

While standing around before my son's, what would be his last youth baseball game, first bracket game in the state tournament I was talking with the other dads. They all know I'm both a football and hoops season ticket holder. They also know that I had upgraded my football seasons tickets to club seating. Been wanting to do this for years. They asked me that since I'm going to be paying more for club seating would I continue to hold onto my basketball season tickets. By the time they asked me I had already renewed. They all proceeded to tease me for 10min on why I would renew those tickets considering how bad the basketball team is and that this upcoming season is not looking any better, and could possibly be worse. Ouch, that really hit me where I live. The easy answer is that I'm fan and I should be am fully committed. 

I didn't know that Armon had left the team or the that we had gotten a couple of recruits. I'm just catching up right now. Will likely take me a week to get up to speed.

I wasn't hopeful for the future of this team at the end of the season and I'm not very hopeful now although that will change as I look for some rays of sunshine and I get to know these kids. I'll hope against all logic and reason that all of this bad luck will be turned around in one magical season for the ages. I'll hope that this staff, specifically, HCFH will have learned some lessons from how we finished out the '21-'22 season and be able to build on it for this upcoming season. 

I have no predictions for the upcoming season. I'm going stay realistic while still holding onto hope.

On a side, and somewhat crazy, note I bought a pair of tickets for the Battle of the Vault, 100 level right behind the home bench. My plan is to go to all 3 games. If anyone is interested in going with me please send me an IM. I paid $87 for the pair, which included some really high fees from ticketmaster.

3 hours ago, Huskerpapa said:

The word is hyperbole.   I will be honest, I don't even remember this kid...

https://fb.watch/eXDBg8_dxm/

Big lefty from out east.  Couldn't shoot a lick. Constantly injured. Worked his way into the rotation and then got the starting spot after Thomas Allen's season ended. Was key in that big Iowa win where Thor blocked the shot at the end, which was his last game as a Husker as he was injured. Ended up at GW where it looks like he never got healthy.

17 hours ago, hhcmatt said:

Big lefty from out east.  Couldn't shoot a lick. Constantly injured. Worked his way into the rotation and then got the starting spot after Thomas Allen's season ended. Was key in that big Iowa win where Thor blocked the shot at the end, which was his last game as a Husker as he was injured. Ended up at GW where it looks like he never got healthy.

If I remember correctly he was suppose to be a real good defender.

Yeah, I'm not buying in quite yet Norm.  I hear, but I have not yet seen.  I want to place the rose colored glasses on; but nope, not yet.

Talent, basketball IQ, effort and basketball skills are easily talked about; but we need to witness the floor burns, the extra pass that turns into a basket, the effort to play team defense, the selflessness to rebound/box out/call out picks and so, so much more that has been MIA.  

Yeah talk continues to be cheap.  I need to witness the action.  

But hey, at least we are hearing the right words.

22 minutes ago, 49r said:

Yeah, @Norm Peterson, get ahold of yourself, man!  You've made it this far through the off season, just keep hold of the skepticism a little bit longer!!!  We're almost there.  Remember, the "Who Will Be The Next Husker Coach" thread will be here before you know it.

I'd say our chances are as slim as Scott Frost standing next to offensive linemen. (Better?)

pckg8b8rmkj91.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&a

15 hours ago, 49r said:

Yeah, @Norm Peterson, get ahold of yourself, man!  You've made it this far through the off season, just keep hold of the skepticism a little bit longer!!!  We're almost there.  Remember, the "Who Will Be The Next Husker Coach" thread will be here before you know it.

Oh, believe me, I'm still skeptical. And, in fact, skeptical isn't really the right word because it's not so much that I doubt whether they can get it done; instead, I'm still quite confident they cannot.

HOWEVER, rather than questioning whether I want to go to the game tonight or have my fingernails removed, I am now quite confident that this will be a group of players I will want to go cheer for.

5 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

Oh, believe me, I'm still skeptical. And, in fact, skeptical isn't really the right word because it's not so much that I doubt whether they can get it done; instead, I'm still quite confident they cannot.

HOWEVER, rather than questioning whether I want to go to the game tonight or have my fingernails removed, I am now quite confident that this will be a group of players I will want to go cheer for.

Does anyone remember a more disappointing season that led to more apathy for the next season then we experienced this year?  I can remember being really disappointed the year after Miles' team made the tournament.  I thought that team would be better than the year before and we should win an NCAA game at least but I can't remember the skepticism being there the next year as bad as this year.  I  know we have set the bar pretty high over the years for disappointing seasons but it seems even the most loyal posters are taking a different approach or attitude toward this season.  I guess we had such high expectations for Hoiberg as a coach compared to coaches of the past.