Year 4

4 minutes ago, Milk said:

If Robins predictions hold true that likely means only 2 roster spots open if all the incoming players still come.   That’s not good.  

Andre, Wilcher, Walker, McPherson, Oleg, WIlhelm
keita, ramel, dawson, lawrence

I'm showing 10....3 open scholarships pending Lat/Trey

1 minute ago, Milk said:

If Robins predictions hold true that likely means only 2 roster spots open if all the incoming players still come.   That’s not good.  

It'd be 3 opening up unless I'm missing someone.   I think that'd be ideal.  You aren't going to go take 5 high quality transfers.   There's a decent base in that 10.  You add a point guard, another shooter and a stretch 4 to it.  The last thing we need is another overhaul.

1.  McPherson

2.  Lloyd

3.  Dawson

4.  Wilcher

5.  Lawrence

6.  Wilhelm

7.   Walker

8.  Keita

9.  Andre

10.  Oleg

1 minute ago, hhcmatt said:

We've needed a stretch 4 since Wilhelm went down on Dec 7th.  Could have brought in Oleg if he was a viable stretch 4. 

Right now he looks like the 4th best center in a time where you only can play one center.

Could've.  But do you burn the redshirt for a guy for half a year, when it's going to be a bad year regardless?

2 minutes ago, Milk said:

Wonder if Edwards would really leave?  He would have to sit out a year if he transfers D1.   

To a certain extent...I wonder about that too.  But it also might be worth sitting out a year.  If he didn't play on this year's team...not sure there is a great path for him playing next year either.

1 minute ago, nustudent said:

Could've.  But do you burn the redshirt for a guy for half a year, when it's going to be a bad year regardless?

December 7th. What's the difference if he had played 10 minutes of garbage time vs 0 minutes?

You keep him redshirted if you watch him in practice and think that playing CJ Wilcher or Bryce at the 4 is a better option.

Maybe the guy is a future B1G rotation player.  If so that's either amazing discipline or lack of concern about winning from a coach that needs to win some games.

7 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

December 7th. What's the difference if he had played 10 minutes of garbage time vs 0 minutes?

You keep him redshirted if you watch him in practice and think that playing CJ Wilcher or Bryce at the 4 is a better option.

Maybe the guy is a future B1G rotation player.  If so that's either amazing discipline or lack of concern about winning from a coach that needs to win some games.

Maybe he's not really a 4.   Not too many 7-foot PFs out there.   Maybe he's not ready to have an impact.  Maybe they didn't expect things to go off the rails to the extent they did.  I think if they expected Oleg to make a tangible difference, he probably would've been playing.  No sense in pulling a guys redshirt to improve from 10 to 12 wins.  If he was the difference between a NCAA bid or not, I get it...but to go from bad to less bad.....not sure that's worth it.   And just because they didn't yank the redshirt off him this year doesn't mean he can't contribute in the future.

Edited by nustudent

1 hour ago, nustudent said:

Washut put out his predictions on who stays/goes this morning.

Bryce:  Gone

Lakes:  Could apply for a medical redshirt but gone regardless

Edwards:  Gone

Tominaga:  Gone

Lat & Trey:  Both likely gone, but wouldn't rule either 100% out

Andre, Wilcher, Walker, McPherson, Oleg, Dawson:  Back

Other than Trey, this is probably about as good a result as one could hope for. 

35 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

Based on what I have seen in warmups, Oleg is nothing close to be a stretch 4, at least not at this point.  He will have to significantly improve his speed, lateral quickness and his outside shot to have any chance at playing the 4 under Hoiberg's system.  I don't see that ever happening TBH.

Which does mean that if Robin's predictions come true, NU will have four centers on the roster next year.  It is a dilemma, because having both Walker and Andre return is very important, but I'm not sure having four centers (who are completely unable to play the 4) is the best allocation of scholarships/roster spots at this point.  There is a grave need for a quality PG (or 2) as well as a solid stretch 4 (and a backup?).  With only 3 spots available (and maybe 2 if Trey returns), Hoiberg and staff are going to have to nail the recruits who fill those spots, there isn't any room to miss.

14 minutes ago, NUdiehard said:

Based on what I have seen in warmups, Oleg is nothing close to be a stretch 4, at least not at this point.  He will have to significantly improve his speed, lateral quickness and his outside shot to have any chance at playing the 4 under Hoiberg's system.  I don't see that ever happening TBH.

Which does mean that if Robin's predictions come true, NU will have four centers on the roster next year.  It is a dilemma, because having both Walker and Andre return is very important, but I'm not sure having four centers (who are completely unable to play the 4) is the best allocation of scholarships/roster spots at this point.  There is a grave need for a quality PG (or 2) as well as a solid stretch 4 (and a backup?).  With only 3 spots available (and maybe 2 if Trey returns), Hoiberg and staff are going to have to nail the recruits who fill those spots, there isn't any room to miss.

I don't think Walker is completely unplayable at the 4.   He might not be ideal, but he situationally, he can play there.

And for a team/program that is routinely devoid of talent, depth and often both at the 5, I can live with having 4 guys there.

17 minutes ago, nustudent said:

I don't think Walker is completely unplayable at the 4.   He might not be ideal, but he situationally, he can play there.

And for a team/program that is routinely devoid of talent, depth and often both at the 5, I can live with having 4 guys there.

Yup was just thinking about Walker at the 4.  The way he shot FTs there makes it seem possible he could live a bit on the perimeter. 

If Blaise Keita is as good as advertised, then it's a matter of working backwards from there.

1 minute ago, hhcmatt said:

Yup was just thinking about Walker at the 4.  The way he shot FTs there makes it seem possible he could live a bit on the perimeter. 

If Blaise Keita is as good as advertised, then it's a matter of working backwards from there.

I think the biggest thing is that it gives some versatility to the lineup.   And that is something that we haven't had much of, especially in the frontcourt.

You could even convince me that if we can get Lat to come back with a reduced role....that we don't need a stretch 4 from the portal.

Just caught up with what washut said, something I found interesting is IF Abdelmassih is let go, Kieta is the main one to worry about asking to be released from LOI. Lawrence seems solid based on his relationship with CJ. Ramel Lloyd might be the same case as Kieta based on his relationship with Abdelmassih. 

If they only lose 1, and preferably Kieta, that I can swallow. Both? That's a tough pill to swallow. 

8 minutes ago, The Polish Rifle said:

I really don't follow recruiting too closely. What type of role will Lloyd have? He's listed as a PG and SF on 247 which is really confusing. Big Combo Guard? Guessing he won't be a primary ball handler next season?

Wing with a secondary initiator role. His primary role will be to score but he will be tasked to run some sets. Especially if the PG we bring in can shoot

1 minute ago, thrasher31 said:

Just caught up with what washut said, something I found interesting is IF Abdelmassih is let go, Kieta is the main one to worry about asking to be released from LOI. Lawrence seems solid based on his relationship with CJ. Ramel Lloyd might be the same case as Kieta based on his relationship with Abdelmassih. 

If they only lose 1, and preferably Kieta, that I can swallow. Both? That's a tough pill to swallow. 

If we lose Kieta because of Abdelmassih, it’ll be reallllllly important for us that Walker comes back for one more shot.

Just now, hskr4life said:

If we lose Kieta because of Abdelmassih, it’ll be reallllllly important for us that Walker comes back for one more shot.

I'm working under the assumption Walker comes back honestly. I think he has one year of grad school left and can get a kick start on his trucking business with any NIL deals. Makes a ton of sense.