Year 4

Washut confirms with an actual source:

Most reporters don’t have to name sources directly, and then there’s blowhard homers like Robin Washut who only have a following due to the facade of being some kind of “insider” who have to keep that facade alive at all costs.

11 hours ago, Nighthawk said:

I missed the postings...did Coach's son, and Piatkowski's son for that matter,  enter the portal or decide to retire from bball?  I don't see them on your list. 

I was only looking at the guys who counted against our scholarship numbers to try to figure out if we had room to hit the transfer portal beyond the Griesel kid.

On 3/28/2022 at 4:15 PM, nustudent said:

Is it really that young though in this day and age of CBB?

If the roster returns like that....we will have 5 guys in their 4th year or older of CBB.   Two more in their 3rd.   

As a comparison, Wisconsin, who is generally regarded as an older team only had 5 guys who fit that bill this year.

It'd be nice to find another experienced guy if Lat, Trey or Keisei end up leaving.   But if Trey stays...between Trey, DW and SG...you have three 5th/6th year players (without seeing who you add).   There aren't a ton of other teams that can say that.

While there are 5 freshmen, they are seemingly in the right spots: reserves and roll guys..   If Trey comes back  you are likely starting 4 guys who are in their 3rd year or older.  Again...it doesn't get too much older than that in today's day and age.

Every other team in America got the same extra year for Covid that our kids got.

Which makes CJ Wilcher a sophomore and Sam Griesel a 1st year Husker.

It's not necessarily appearing likely that Trey will be back. Still a good possibility he's gone. No word on Lat yet, but still a good chance Lat is gone.

That's not going to leave a lot of returning Husker minutes.

The changes Hoiberg and Alberts agreed upon appear to include better roster stability.  Looks like that's happening--with both incoming recruits staying on board (all of them) and current players returning (Walker is the latest).

Alberts also said that (i) other changes were implemented toward the end of last year, and ((ii) those changes produced positive results immediately.  Looked to me like those positive results began with the second Iowa game.  

The changes also appear to include a sharper focus on recruiting players from the State of Nebraska--seems like that's working too (e.g., Griesel and Jacobsen).

So . . . the ride has been fun, of late.  Can't wait to see what happens next!

6 minutes ago, jimmykc said:

Any reason Washut thinks Tominaga won't be back next year? He had some moments last year and with one year of experience he could add to next year's team. I would think he would stay unless someone has heard otherwise.

I think people are speculating just based on how his year went. He didn't make up for being undersized by making a high percentage of 3s.  He's Kobe Webster minus the ball handling ability. 

To me, between Fred's love of shooting and KT's irrational confidence I've always thought of him as a lean to come back. To me we can use a guy who can occasionally come off the bench and score 20 points or can just stay on the bench if his shot isn't there. What we're running defensively might matter.

This is a guy who can put up a bunch of points and is familiar with our offense; to me we'd be better off shopping for 2023 players than to find a stopgap to replace a player you might consider a stopgap.

On 3/29/2022 at 9:25 AM, AuroranHusker said:

100%, that's why the D has seemed to have been so "suspect"--they didn't have the 'will' to do both effectively. We all know the pack-line D hasn't been a boon, lately; probably a big part why Doc isn't with the NU program any longer.

IDK if anyone is running true-true pack-line anymore. 

Funny thing, I randomly caught a Duke/UNC game from like '05 on TV the other day. It's absolutely wild how far the game has evolved from then. Defensively, UNC was in about as "harry-high school" as you can get. Denial, hand in the passing lane one pass away, two passes away one foot was in the paint, and back side guys were all two feet in the paint. Honestly - it looked so much more sound. I supposed the lack of post players and teams having 4-5 3pt shooters on the court has made that obsolete. 

I do like (and find refreshing I guess) that husker basketball is finding a way to stay active with the media nearly every day as the NCAA tournament reaches finality.   Yet to go includes new assistant coach, new staff position, any player exit/stay announcements (Trey/Lat), any roster additions and miscellaneous additions/subtractions.  

It sure is keeping us on our toes and coming to huskerhoopscentral multiple times a day. 😄

7 minutes ago, basketballjones said:

IDK if anyone is running true-true pack-line anymore. 

Funny thing, I randomly caught a Duke/UNC game from like '05 on TV the other day. It's absolutely wild how far the game has evolved from then. Defensively, UNC was in about as "harry-high school" as you can get. Denial, hand in the passing lane one pass away, two passes away one foot was in the paint, and back side guys were all two feet in the paint. Honestly - it looked so much more sound. I supposed the lack of post players and teams having 4-5 3pt shooters on the court has made that obsolete. 

It has been awhile now, but the day defense changed most dramatically was when the 3-point line was implemented.  

OLD SCHOOL BASKETBALL RULED!

51 minutes ago, jimmykc said:

Any reason Washut thinks Tominaga won't be back next year? He had some moments last year and with one year of experience he could add to next year's team. I would think he would stay unless someone has heard otherwise.

His appearance on USC yesterday was the first time I recall his name even being mentioned as a possibility and it was with a heavy maaaaaaybe in there. As in when asked what other roster movement we could expect to see it was "and maaaaaaybe you could see Keisei go back to Japan" or something like that. I think I'd put it at 90% he'll be back. I'd be pretty surprised if he leaves.

20 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

This is a guy who can put up a bunch of points and is familiar with our offense; to me we'd be better off shopping for 2023 players than to find a stopgap to replace a player you might consider a stopgap.

I think this is right. I don't know what role he'll have next season though. I think it's way more likely he's here next season, sees a dramatically reduced role, and leaves after next season.

Edited by uneblinstu

1 hour ago, hhcmatt said:

I think people are speculating just based on how his year went. He didn't make up for being undersized by making a high percentage of 3s.  He's Kobe Webster minus the ball handling ability. 

To me, between Fred's love of shooting and KT's irrational confidence I've always thought of him as a lean to come back. To me we can use a guy who can occasionally come off the bench and score 20 points or can just stay on the bench if his shot isn't there. What we're running defensively might matter.

Like they say, it often takes a year for JUCO players to really figure it out when trying to play at a power 5 school.  This year he went from shooter off the bench, to starter, to not playing at all.  If he can just be that shooter off the bench that can be patient enough to take the high percentage three, I think he could help our team.   He never really settled into his role as a sniper off the bench.

22 hours ago, Huskerpapa said:

It has been awhile now, but the day defense changed most dramatically was when the 3-point line was implemented.  

OLD SCHOOL BASKETBALL RULED!

You’re right HP, I played with the leading scorer in the State at Superior pre-3 point line. He would’ve averaged 40 a game if the 3-point shot had been implemented, it’ll be interesting to see how the shot clock works out in Class A this year…

23 hours ago, Swan88 said:

The changes Hoiberg and Alberts agreed upon appear to include better roster stability.  Looks like that's happening--with both incoming recruits staying on board (all of them) and current players returning (Walker is the latest).

Alberts also said that (i) other changes were implemented toward the end of last year, and ((ii) those changes produced positive results immediately.  Looked to me like those positive results began with the second Iowa game.  

The changes also appear to include a sharper focus on recruiting players from the State of Nebraska--seems like that's working too (e.g., Griesel and Jacobsen).

So . . . the ride has been fun, of late.  Can't wait to see what happens next!

Roster stability is always a goal and not sure that is what Hoiberg and Alberts agreed upon.  That is more of an expectation than an change.  I don't remember us losing any incoming recruits prior to them arriving on campus so not sure if this year is any different than any previous years.  And just because we have had one player (Walker) returning isn't necessarily anything Hoiberg did other than having a conversation with him.  He is working on his Master's degree so why not use your last year in college to run it back.  Trust me, I'm very glad his is coming back.  

I really don't understand your comment about a sharper focus on recruiting players in the state of Nebraska.  Getting a grad transfer (Griesel) isn't recruiting the state.  He is a transfer with only 1 year eligibility left.  And you can't say that Hoiberg hasn't recruited the state hard already.  He recruited Jasen Green as well as Isaac Traut.  In fact, it was down to us and Virginia with Traut so trust me, he was already recruiting the top players in Nebraska hard.  

I'm still hoping Trey comes back next year as well as think we can be competitive next year but of course, I said the same thing about this season.  As we say with all men's sports here at Nebraska......just wait till next year.

On 3/29/2022 at 9:53 AM, The Polish Rifle said:

Do you know who this coach is, and does his current school reside in the southern end of the state it's in?

Yes the name I've heard is Adam Howard from South Alabama but take that with a grain of salt since Charlie Henry was a lock to come here until he wasn't.

57 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

Yes the name I've heard is Adam Howard from South Alabama but take that with a grain of salt since Charlie Henry was a lock to come here until he wasn't.

Interesting name.  I understand that his expertise is defense and that fits the needs here.  One always wonders if his philosophy can translate well to this program and this league.  What works well in one league may not work quite as well elsewhere.

I realize names will bounce in and out; but again, given his background, I could understand the interest. 

21 minutes ago, Huskerpapa said:

Interesting name.  I understand that his expertise is defense and that fits the needs here.  One always wonders if his philosophy can translate well to this program and this league.  What works well in one league may not work quite as well elsewhere.

I realize names will bounce in and out; but again, given his background, I could understand the interest. 

Buy-in, want to, toughness, and all the other intangibles are far more important than scheme. So if he can coach and has knowledge of the game, I’m not real worried about what philosophy he brings as long as it comes with passion and intensity.

39 minutes ago, Huskerpapa said:

We're talking his flavor of the Donnie Tyndall matchup-zone where you're pressuring full court on makes.  Iowa isn't running this per se but it manifests in a similar way. Iowa also runs a fast paced offense so in theory the fit should work; they also don't typically don't have great defensive numbers.

2 hours ago, hhcmatt said:

We're talking his flavor of the Donnie Tyndall matchup-zone where you're pressuring full court on makes.  Iowa isn't running this per se but it manifests in a similar way. Iowa also runs a fast paced offense so in theory the fit should work; they also don't typically don't have great defensive numbers.

I was thinking about matchup zone as our defense in the other thread you posted, but didn't think we had anyone on staff who could coach it.  Seems like we might have the athletes for it as we'll have a ton of guard length.  Interesting coaching prospect for sure.  

4 hours ago, hhcmatt said:

You mean this Adam Howard? 

https://archive.knoxnews.com/sports/vols/mens-basketball/ex-ut-coach-donnietyndall-blaming-former-assistant-for-show-cause-315ca989-3b37-58e4-e053-0100007f84-377196971.html