Year 4

15 hours ago, hhcmatt said:

What type or style of defense do people think would pair well with Hoiberg's offense and/or the roster we've compiled?

One that stops the dribble drive, but yet doesn't allow open threes. It is a tricky scenario, one Freddy struggled with 2021-22. I think it boils down to dudes getting after it in practice, which translates to expectation of performance. If they're not holding their water, there's the pine, go sit awhile. With Bryce this past season, the whole bench-as-an-option-for-poor-D wasn't used effectively.

At some point we have got to talk about our OFFENSE on this site. I've come to loathe the basic motion he likes to get into stuff. Everything is so high and cutting away from the hoop. It allows smart teams to just hound the heck out of cutters and deny everything. Makes us start even higher and well off our spots. 

IMO he needs better back-cuts, better use of the corner, and better use of the dunker spot in his offense. 

To me Villanova and Creighton run the best offensive action in the nation. Elite space, cutting, useful screens, no hesitation-automatic cuts. 

I hate our version of "pace." It seems to only mean look to get a shot quickly - which just leads to forced stuff. You can still play with incredible pace and have a possession where the ball touches both corners. 

Edited by basketballjones

17 minutes ago, basketballjones said:

At some point we have got to talk about our OFFENSE on this site. I've come to loathe the basic motion he likes to get into stuff. Everything is so high and cutting away from the hoop. It allows smart teams to just hound the heck out of cutters and deny everything. Makes us start even higher and well off our spots. 

IMO he needs better back-cuts, better use of the corner, and better use of the dunker spot in his offense. 

To me Villanova and Creighton run the best offensive action in the nation. Elite space, cutting, useful screens, no hesitation-automatic cuts. 

I hate our version of "pace." It seems to only mean look to get a shot quickly - which just leads to forced stuff. You can still play with incredible pace and have a possession where the ball touches both corners. 

Yep. The offense was supposed to be the thing here. According to KenPom adjusted efficiency, it's been 190, 179 and 118. So last year was the best offense so far under Fred, and I think I would have probably guessed that just based on watching games. Miles' last season, they were 30th in the country. 75th the year before. Surprisingly, the defense has had at least one season where it was really good, last year they were 40th in the country in adjusted defense, so it's possible to play good defense in a Hoiberg system and I think they'll have a roster that looks more like that 2020-21 one. Fixing the offense will be the key to making the jump.

19 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

Someone help me:

1. Sam Griesel

2. Blaise Keita

3. Jamarques Lawrence

4. Ramel Lloyd

5. Denim Dawson

6. Quaran McPherson

7. CJ Wilcher

8. Wilhelm Breidenbach

9. Oleg Kojenets

10. Keisei Tominaga

11. Trey McGowens

12. Lat Mayen

13. Derrick Walker

Unless someone else moves out, our roster is full up, right?

Are we still out recruiting like there will be more spots to fill?

If so, whose?

And, by the way, that's a really young team. Again.

I missed the postings...did Coach's son, and Piatkowski's son for that matter,  enter the portal or decide to retire from bball?  I don't see them on your list. 

Edited by Nighthawk

40 minutes ago, basketballjones said:

Hard to be both - but if he truly wants this you have to be a great early help jab and go team. But that requires discipline and twitchy athleticism. 

As far as I know Arman Gates and Nate Loesner are two of the best recruiters in Div 1

Just now, Nighthawk said:

I missed the posting...did Coach's son enter the portal or decide to retire from bball?  I don't see him on your list. 

2 minutes ago, uneblinstu said:

They're not on scholarship.

so they don't count towards total number of players?  How many non scholarship players can a team have? 

10 minutes ago, Nighthawk said:

so they don't count towards total number of players?  How many non scholarship players can a team have? 

IDK about limits with walk-ons and such, but the conversation is about trying figure out how many scholarships are available and who might take those spots. So, as long as they remain walk-ons, they don't factor in that conversation.

1 hour ago, basketballjones said:

Hard to be both - but if he truly wants this you have to be a great early help jab and go team. But that requires discipline and twitchy athleticism. 

100%, that's why the D has seemed to have been so "suspect"--they didn't have the 'will' to do both effectively. We all know the pack-line D hasn't been a boon, lately; probably a big part why Doc isn't with the NU program any longer.

2 hours ago, hhcmatt said:

I think we will have our new assistant by the end of the week if not sooner. Believe his specially will be more coaching than recruiting but we're looking to be a normal coaching staff where everyone recruits.

Do you know who this coach is, and does his current school reside in the southern end of the state it's in?

1 hour ago, hhcmatt said:

As far as I know Arman Gates and Nate Loesner are two of the best recruiters in Div 1

I assume you're responding to my comment about "not being able to do both," not my defensive philosophy stuff. 

I think both of those guys are awesome. My comment was more related to my beef with MA and how Hoiberg views his job. Along with what he initially had Doc doing. 

IMO - EVERYONE recruits EVERYONE coaches. If you want to have a high-level staff anyways. 

Edited by basketballjones

1 hour ago, Nighthawk said:

I don't think they have a roster limit for practice.  They would be limited by the number of lockers in the lockerroom.   For games they can only dress 15.   Below is some research I did last time this question came up.

Total number of players on the roster is the first number.   2nd number is the number of rosters of that roster size.   I identified the year for the extreme cases.   So the first line is a 12 player roster and we only had 1 roster of that size.

12 -  1    (2006)

13 -  0 

14  -  2  

15  -  6

16  -  5

17  -  4

18 -   1    (2010)

19  -   1   (2007)

20  -  1   (2008)  

15 is probably the sweet spot because that's how many you can dress for a game.  If you have more than those guys are definitely in street clothes (redshirt status).  (13 scholarships & rest walkon's)

I know one year under Doc there were guys that were filling out the practice squad that weren't on the roster.  That probably was 2006 & Doc's first year.  I also remember him commenting about the roster being a little too big which was probably when they had 20 in 2008.   It appears 15-17 players is the most common range.

Edited by REDitus

6 hours ago, hhcmatt said:

I think we will have our new assistant by the end of the week if not sooner. Believe his specially will be more coaching than recruiting but we're looking to be a normal coaching staff where everyone recruits.

Armon was revered for his recruiting when coming here, but hasn't had a chance to exhibit that. I wonder if he taps back into his recruiting ties if this is the case? But like you said, a staff wide effort is likely and extremely welcomed at this point. Loesner is getting his feet wet and as long as the AC has some experience recruiting, I think it'll be fine. 

1 hour ago, thrasher31 said:

Armon was revered for his recruiting when coming here, but hasn't had a chance to exhibit that. I wonder if he taps back into his recruiting ties if this is the case? But like you said, a staff wide effort is likely and extremely welcomed at this point. Loesner is getting his feet wet and as long as the AC has some experience recruiting, I think it'll be fine. 

Assistant coaches may not actively recruit for a couple years; but they are nobody's fool.  They continue with their contacts.  I trust that Gates has a number of go to contacts and will be successful.   I further speculate that during his post-season interview, this subject was fully vetted. 

I expect the staff to bring in high IQ, coachable players as a fundamental part of their new recruiting philosophy.  I think the coaching staff now has unity on that front with MA gone.  For this to work, the players need to click in the first few weeks as opposed to the final two weeks of the season.  Continuity with Trey and Walker would really help.  I think those two with Griesel could be a lot more formidable with CJ and Lloyd than most might think.  I'm excited to see who Fred nabs to fill out the staff.