uneblinstu's postgame chatter: vol 14; ed 32 - Big Ten Tournament, vs. Northwestern

uneblinstu

This one checked a lot of the WRONG boxes:

- Blow a BIG lead

- 6:30 minute drought with NO bucket

- Down 2 at the end, couldn’t even get up a shot 

Sadly reminiscent of a feeling I hadn’t had since the Penn loss in ‘94. The stakes were obviously lower, but it’s those 3 great wins heading into the Tourney followed by a dud. And just like that it’s over… 

6 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

Made it though another one.  You’d think, with our history, this board would have died off.  Hell nah.  We’re in it for the long haul….. and it’s a loooongggggg haul.

Sadly, the 3 game stretch at the end of the year will probably be the high water mark for men's athletics this year. 

23 minutes ago, AuroranHusker said:

Man, I hope you're dead wrong; the Husker baseball team has a TON of games ahead to turn out all right. GBR!!

I've lowered my expectations on them quite a bit. I hope I'm wrong too. They seem destined for a rebuilding year though. They're young and will show some glimpses, but think they'll be a .500 team when it's all said and done. 

37 minutes ago, The Polish Rifle said:

I've lowered my expectations on them quite a bit. I hope I'm wrong too. They seem destined for a rebuilding year though. They're young and will show some glimpses, but think they'll be a .500 team when it's all said and done. 

I was worried about this, but just like basketball I started drinking the kool-aid.  Pitching seems to be coming around.  Now, time for the line-up to get going.  Anderson, Matthews, and Chick are going to be the key cogs for this team to get rolling.

10 minutes ago, brfrad said:

I was worried about this, but just like basketball I started drinking the kool-aid.  Pitching seems to be coming around.  Now, time for the line-up to get going.  Anderson, Matthews, and Chick are going to be the key cogs for this team to get rolling.

It's all gonna come down to the bats. Our pitching is good enough to get us to a regional. Maybe yesterday is clouding my judgment, but they put up some awful ABs against the KSU starter who was throwing mid-80s with little movement.

1 hour ago, The Polish Rifle said:

It's all gonna come down to the bats. Our pitching is good enough to get us to a regional. Maybe yesterday is clouding my judgment, but they put up some awful ABs against the KSU starter who was throwing mid-80s with little movement.

Lota L’s unfortunately.

10 hours ago, bkamler said:

Chick cannot put the bat on the ball which was really important when I played D1 baseball.

Yup - I'm afraid the book is out on him & I don't think he can adjust to it. I'd guess he'll be a situational pinch-hitter/spot-starter before much longer. Going to have to rely on some of these freshmen.

Defense has been a disaster so far. This team can't score enough to make up for defensive lapses. Have to get that fixed. They're really going to miss Bunz too. That was a killer loss out of the bullpen.

Ultimately, the team took a much bigger jump than they expected last season behind several guys who are no longer here. This year was always going to be a bit of a step back -- the preseason expectations of hosting a regional were ridiculous, especially for a Big Ten team. However, it's been even a bigger step back than I expected/hoped to this point.

Hopefully they can (and should) use this homestand to build some momentum. If they can, they wouldn't be the first NU team to really take off around mid-March when they finally get to play at home regularly.

Based on recent football/basketball results, I hate typing this 🙃 but they're recruiting at a very high level off what they did last season. But the calvary doesn't fully start arriving until next season.

On 3/9/2022 at 9:52 PM, HB said:

Massive steps , to get us to 4-16?  Good Lord our fans have low standards.  

Well, we could have had four starters returning; one being a four year starting point guard, one being a former five-star recruit, one being a returning all-conference first team player, and the last being a guy who has started 48 games in the NBA so far; and gone 6-14.