uneblinstu's postgame chatter: vol 14; ed 32 - Big Ten Tournament, vs. Northwestern

uneblinstu

We probably are not giving Collins and NW credit for making adjustments and playing with much more intensity in the 2nd half. Plus, they made shots. We botched some chances for easy buckets because we couldn’t catch the ball.  I am not as down on the officiating as others seem to be on the board. NU has a long, long way to go to be competitive in this league on a consistent basis.  Like football, I am not going to be optimistic until I see winning results.  

One of my biggest gripes was letting a 15 pt lead get to 1 before a time out is called. Most good coaches call one after 15 gets cut to 10 or 9. Hoiberg is awful about that, so i wasn't surprised, just pissed he hasn't figured that out. This game played out like so many. It was pretty much identical to last year's B1G tournament game against PSU, same damn script. I hope those 3 previous games weren't anomalies, but I've yet to see a Hoiberg-led Husker team carry momentum into the next season. I hope he gets it done, but we're most likely looking at a 4th rebuild, so I'm not confident. 

25 minutes ago, CanadianHusker said:

A very disappointing end to an even more disappointing season. Sorry, this is a bit long! 😁

1. There were some questionable calls in the game but Verge and Trey we’re out of control at the end of the game. It’s hard to call a foul for a guy who’s out of control. (Side note: What did Hoiberg call for the last play? I can’t think it was give it to Trey to go the length of the court.) Verge was mostly good but had some killer TOs. Hope McPherson is a strong PG. He seems like such a good leader on the bench. 

2. Walker was excellent tonight. I know he’s older, but it would solidify our post play if he came back with Blaise, Andre, Wilhelm, etc. Would also be nice if Denim could play the 3 and 4. 

3. Lat needs to go. I don’t want to beat up on the guy. He puts forth effort, but he can’t catch the ball, lacks confidence shooting, and needs to be stronger at the rim. 

4. Trey was so good on defense, especially in the first half. Will miss that defensive play and playing with an edge. Would be great to have back but I doubt it will happen. 

5. Bryce was very disappointing tonight. His defense was poor and seemed disinterested at times on offense. That said, he should’ve received more foul calls in the first half. If he would commit to playing defense, he would be such a dynamic player. He would be better than Jaden Ivy because he can score more easily and with more variety. Hope he comes back but I highly doubt it. 

6. Fred can’t control stupid TOs, but he can control when he calls timeouts. Gotta call one sooner against the zone. And please make some changes with the coaching staff so that we have a complete roster, not just some athletes. 

7. Finally, thanks for all of you on this board with such great insights, humor, and also kindness. Most boards get a little too rude and obnoxious. But you guys are great! Thanks and here’s to hoping for better days ahead! 

Appreciate your contributions @throwback -- your thoughts are always a 'must' read. I agree with most everything wholeheartedly. This team plays with swagger when shots fall, yet then tighten up & lose focus when they don't. Ughh -- The ultimate frustrating team to be a fan of, tbh. I still love 'em, and root 'em on 'til the day I die. GBR!

Edited by AuroranHusker

42 minutes ago, Swan88 said:

My vote, for what it’s worth, is this:  I totally, completely reject (100%) the negativity in this thread.

Can’t wait to see what happens in the off-season ahead!

Go for it.  As for my vote, I totally, completely reject (100%) 3 consecutive terrible seasons,  and selfish and undisciplined play with inconsistent effort.  

2 minutes ago, HB said:

Massive steps , to get us to 4-16?  Good Lord our fans have low standards.  

Considering the program hasn't won a top 10 game since 2014, yes. Season sucked and there's no excusing that, but the finish to the season was a step in the right direction. Just need to build off of it now. 

Edited by thrasher31

Just now, hskr4life said:

I think we’re letting the lipstick that we put on the pig do more than it should.  The season as a whole was a massive failure.  I don’t want the three straight road wins when there was nothing on the line to be the view of how the season as a whole went.

Fair and mostly agree. And the season was a failure. By far. I just see the road wins, which have escaped the program for the better part of 3 years is a step in the right direction. Do they define the season? Hell no. The last 2 possessions today defined the season. Playing reckless and out of control. But they shouldn't be forgotten, because the players certainly won't forget it

However, there's always something on the line every game, or else they just simply wouldn't play. In the short term of this season, probably not. But building good habits, confidence (huge thing), and getting some pride back those last 3 wins are things to look at. 

2 minutes ago, thrasher31 said:

Fair and mostly agree. And the season was a failure. By far. I just see the road wins, which have escaped the program for the better part of 3 years is a step in the right direction. Do they define the season? Hell no. The last 2 possessions today defined the season. Playing reckless and out of control. But they shouldn't be forgotten, because the players certainly won't forget it

However, there's always something on the line every game, or else they just simply wouldn't play. In the short term of this season, probably not. But building good habits, confidence (huge thing), and getting some pride back those last 3 wins are things to look at. 

I could get on board with this, but who was really building confidence these last four games that’s going to carry over into next year?

Trey, Bryce, Kobe, Verge all likely/for sure gone.

Walker maybe and maybe not gone.

I’d say Witcher is the only one who “built something “ for next year these last few.

1 minute ago, hskr4life said:

I could get on board with this, but who was really building confidence these last four games that’s going to carry over into next year?

Trey, Bryce, Kobe, Verge all likely/for sure gone.

Walker maybe and maybe not gone.

I’d say Witcher is the only one who “built something “ for next year these last few.

Walker and Wilcher being the main two, and the bench guys who are watching who will be here next year (Wilhelm, Keon possibly, Keisei, Dawson, Q, Oleg). "hey this is how you execute this offense at a high level and win". And as everyone here knows, winning is the cure-all to get everyone on board. They seem to have the "right minded guys" to understand how to work. 

Like I said. Not excusing the season. Top 2 disappointing season for me over the last decade of Nebrasketball. But the next season for next years team starts in a few weeks. They saw how the offense needs to be executed. It's just turning a page now, and I'm happy to turn the page as I'm sure everyone else there is. 

Many issues with the team, adjustments to make, and a team attitude to change. We need to capture the last week minus tonight in a bottle!

And for God's sake, somebody kick lat Mayen OFF THE TEAM! I can't handle another year of this schlub! I'm fine with anyone if they have effort. But can't have lazy guys in the 15. Time to recruit size and effort. Lot to like still amongst the weeds of crap this year.

11 hours ago, hhcmatt said:

Sadist note: Ed scored an accidental bucket for NW off a missed FT.

Otherwise the guys devolving into one on one ball at the end doesn't have me too bent out of shape about the refs. We let NW get back into it and it cost us the win.

Own goals are so rare in basketball, but they hurt nonetheless!