FOTY

1 hour ago, hhcmatt said:

Yeah I think Bryce should have gotten it but Branham did have a hell of a year, especially in conference. His efficiency numbers are impressive.

Wonder what would have happened if Bryce had played on Sunday and scored 25.

I don't think it would have made any difference. It appeared most of the pundits outside of Nebraska covering the B1G had their minds made up that it would be Branham or Hepburn.

3 minutes ago, hugh42 said:

I don't think it would have made any difference. It appeared most of the pundits outside of Nebraska covering the B1G had their minds made up that it would be Branham or Hepburn.

Yep, top half of the league type teams were the ones considered. It's kind of ridiculous to make that your platform to stick it to a FROSH, who can't overnight make a bottom dweller a contender, shoot even Shaq and Ben Simmons couldn't lift LSU to grand new heights at the time they played in the Bayou. Don't ask me why those 2 stuck out, I'm sure a lot better comps could have been formulated, given more time to think. . .

35 minutes ago, Handy Johnson said:

Remember when Nebraska threw a Stink about playing Football in 2020 & was lambasted by the National Press? Then Ohio St complained about it & magically the B1G played Football 🏈… same rules apply here.

I don’t think OSU is going to throw a fit that Bryce didn’t win though.  So we’re on on own for this one lol.

13 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

I don’t think OSU is going to throw a fit that Bryce didn’t win though.  So we’re on on own for this one lol.

I knew it wasn't happening for Bryce when the wonks on the Big Ten Network didn't even mention Bryce as a serious candidate. Only the studio host made a passing note of his name, with no further discussion. Heck, Chucky was their 1B to Malaki's 1A. It was not gonna happen. . . hey, I'd love to see Bryce & Trey both back, and kickin' ass next year but that seems merely a fantasy. Real momentum could occur with a "bro duo" foundation of successful Big Ten players on the perimeter.

37 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

You’re missing the point Hskr4, Nebraska isn’t part of “the Old Boys Club” when it comes to the B1G. That would be Ohio St & Michigan. Bryce would’ve had to put up insane numbers on a 13th place team to overcome that bias.

I will not say it won't happen, but Bryce has never said he was one and done to my knowledge.  I've heard it implied and so forth, yet he is evasive when asked.  

I think the McGowan's are pretty savvy.   I plan on holding out hope as the benefits of leaving are weighed.   Although leaving may seem to be the logical choice, there may be a few reasons that bring him back.  We shall see. 

Edited by Huskerpapa

14 minutes ago, bkamler said:

Bryce’s numbers were based on volume shooting with low efficiency until lately. Many of his points came late when the game was decided in favor of our opponents and they let him drive pretty much unopposed. 

Yep, it was an award considered for "top teams" solely, it seems. If Bryce had shot 45% overall with 36% on 3FG, his case would have been much, much stronger, and he'd have avg. nearly 20!

49 minutes ago, Huskerpapa said:

I will not say it won't happen, but Bryce has never said he was one and done to my knowledge.  I've heard it implied and so forth, yet he is evasive when asked.  

I think the McGowan's are pretty savvy.   I plan on holding out hope as the benefits of leaving are weighed.   Although leaving may seem to be the logical choice, there may be a few reasons that bring him back.  We shall see. 

Not to mention, how rare of an opportunity it is that they can play a 2nd year together. Their closeness can't hurt our chances!

Like everyone else, I would have loved to have seen Bryce win FOTY.  But discounting Branham by saying tOSU is part of the god ole boys club is just sour grapes.  If the media were the only ones voting, then yes I absolutely can see that argument holding merit.  But the coaches that voted had to game plan for both Bryce and Branham, and they are essentially telling you which player they found scarier to prepare for.  Their answer was Branham.  

Edited by aphilso1