Huskers (10-21) vs Northwestern (14-15) game thread B1G Tourney

cipsucks

Fred should have called time out after very first awful zone possession.  That changed the game letting them go on a 14-0 run or whatever the hell it was in about 3 minutes.   By that time NW believed again.  It is a fatal flaw of his.  He has the NBA coaching mentality of trusting his players too much.  Dug us an insurmountable hole in general this year before he structured the offense more.  

Also was stupid to call time out before the 2nd FT(unless you believe in getting shooter out of rhythm after making 1st FT, which I kind of do).   Calling  it after the ft stops clock and allows you to get the ball to a guard with momentum.  We then should be able to generate a reasonable look which likely is a 3 to win.  

2 minutes ago, millerhusker said:

Honestly believe we would’ve won handily if the McGowens brothers didn’t play. They each had multiple momentum killing plays throughout the game. The rest of the team was very efficient today.  

No way.  Trey defense was huge reason why we generated a big lead.  Knowing who is going to have a good or bad game is not predictive.  

When you are that out of control you cannot expect to get the benefit of the doubt.  That being said Verge got fouled by the guy checking him before he even committed the charge.  That is what pisses me off more than the charge call itself.  Another thing that pisses me off is that when we had momentum Bryce hot hammered on the head going to hoop.  They score.  4 point swing right there.  We should have been up 17 late first which is harder to come back from than 13.  

4 minutes ago, royalfan said:

When you are that out of control you cannot expect to get the benefit of the doubt.  That being said Verge got fouled by the guy checking him before he even committed the charge.  That is what pisses me off more than the charge call itself.  Another thing that pisses me off is that when we had momentum Bryce hot hammered on the head going to hoop.  They score.  4 point swing right there.  We should have been up 17 late first which is harder to come back from than 13.  

yep. 

1 minute ago, royalfan said:

No way.  Trey defense was huge reason why we generated a big lead.  Knowing who is going to have a good or bad game is not predictive.  

Agree to disagree. Northwestern missed the same shots in the first half as they made in the second half. Don’t think his impact on defense outweighs all the negative offensive possessions. The rest of the team was very efficient today - shot 54% and had 7 turnovers sans McGowens’. Much like the second half of the Wisconsin game. Cohesive and fluid. Bryce had a bad game. Trey had a pretty normal one. 

26 minutes ago, millerhusker said:

Agree to disagree. Northwestern missed the same shots in the first half as they made in the second half. Don’t think his impact on defense outweighs all the negative offensive possessions. The rest of the team was very efficient today - shot 54% and had 7 turnovers sans McGowens’. Much like the second half of the Wisconsin game. Cohesive and fluid. Bryce had a bad game. Trey had a pretty normal one. 

We can certainly agree that they didn't play their best basketball.  Perhaps the disagreement lies in what can be done about it.  Hard to just sit them.  A basketball half or series of minutes within a game is such a small sample size.  If NW sat Bouie because he was playing like shit they would have lost.  

5 minutes ago, royalfan said:

We can certainly agree that they didn't play their best basketball.  Perhaps the disagreement lies in what can be done about it.  Hard to just sit them.  A basketball half or series of minutes within a game is such a small sample size.  If NW sat Bouie because he was playing like shit they would have lost.  

I agree, if I were in Fred’s shoes I wouldn’t have sat them either. Just frustration after a game I felt like we should’ve won.