uneblinstu's postgame chatter: vol 14; ed 31 - at #10 Wisconsin

11 minutes ago, jayschool said:

It's also been a long winter of family tragedy — Mom died in November and Dad has been in and out of the hospital since — so watching bad basketball wasn't on my to-do list.

Sorry for your loss.  Totally get it.  Family over Basketball 100% of the time. Will keep you and your dad in my prayers. 

1 hour ago, throwback said:

Considering we were without Bryce and lost Trey for the 2nd half and playing 8 on 5 most of the game, all against a Top 10 team on their senior day , it's the most unlikely win since.....?

I vote for 1982 at #1 Missouri. Kent P remembers that one. 😄

Absolutely unreal, especially considering where this team was 10 days ago.

I was wondering the same thing and that's the first game I thought of though that was the year before I started paying close attention so I don't remember it at all. The 2nd was the upset of Kansas with Wilt Chamberlain long before I was born. Seriously,  this team without its best player, but playing well enough you'd think Wisconsin wasn't looking ahead, it's hard to imagine a more unexpected win. 

I'm so confused by this season:

1. We have the most talented roster ever, we're going to be awesome!

2. Oh, maybe we need to get some kinks out, like better layup lines.

3. God, we suck, Fred is a horrible coach.

4. No, we REALLY suck, so our talent was completely overrated. Lat, Kensei, etc. don't belong on a Big Ten roster.

5. Hey, now we're really good!

So where do we go for 6? Fred finally showed he's a great coach by overcoming mediocre talent? Or the players finally were able to overcome bad coaching?

qB.gif

44 minutes ago, jayschool said:

It's also been a long winter of family tragedy — Mom died in November and Dad has been in and out of the hospital since — so watching bad basketball wasn't on my to-do list.

Sorry to hear. I'll hit you up next time I'm in Iowa City and buy you a beer. A number of us on here have been through this and know how it feels.

Saw a guy at the store today that I went to high school with and fuck he looked old. Next thing you know, you no longer have relatives living from the generation older than yours. It's a sobering feeling. The pain subsides over time. I miss my parents terribly; I'm so thankful I have kids.

With a chance to clinch an outright conference championship, Wisconsin lost at home to the last place team who was without their leading scorer, had their fourth best player ejected minutes into the second half, and had their second best player on the bench with foul trouble most of the second half. That is just so awesome.

And now, I get to root for Iowa to lose in order for Wisconsin to just share the conference title? All things considered, including another possible last-place finish, it couldn't be much better than this.

Edit: One thing that would have made it better was if we got to see Brad Davison cry on TV.

Edited by dustystehl

2 hours ago, Handy Johnson said:

We’ll, I HATE to be they kind of guy who says “I told you so”… but, I told you so!

To be fair, Hoiberg hasn't proven it yet. He has shown, and reinvigorated, that it CAN be done.

I'm just glad we're riding this high at the very end of a tragic season. Because Hoiberg was and is still my coach going into next season (as Trev has made that clear), and I was dreading sitting through another season of people finding every reason for us to lose rather than a reason to believe. There's still a lot more work to do, and I'm excited to see how this (and the next) team responds.