uneblinstu's postgame chatter: vol 14; ed 30 - at Ohio State

1 hour ago, Faux Mike Peltz said:

Enjoyed that one more than Penn State. Nice effort and the team looks like they are playing together much better the past few games. Let’s keep it rolling. 

Totally agree; Nebraska controlled the game against a ranked team that NU should've beat in Lincoln. It wasn't a surprise, despite the BTN announcers saying it was one. I loved this performance, it was togetherness, heart, hustle, the whole nine yards. GO BIG RED! And, GO BIG FRED!!

3 hours ago, HuskerFever said:

I'd argue, the last three games.

Iowa, Penn St., and Ohio St. were all hotly contested as a defensively-minded Nebraska team finally showed their mettle, thanks to a finally healthy Trey McGowens, that dude is THE GLUE! And Bryce has been in the weight room, he's proven that he ought to be the Big Ten Freshman of the Year. No question.

2 hours ago, AuroranHusker said:

Iowa, Penn St., and Ohio St. were all hotly contested as a defensively-minded Nebraska team finally showed their mettle, thanks to a finally healthy Trey McGowens, that dude is THE GLUE! And Bryce has been in the weight room, he's proven that he ought to be the Big Ten Freshman of the Year. No question.

So is it possible to say that the Creighton game is partially to blame for this season and the route it took? Not just them beating us yet again, but for removing "THE GLUE" for a good chunk of the season?  The Huskers should probably have been able to get someone to step up into that role as leader, so I'm still going to put most of the blame on the team. 

If I'm not mistaken -- and I don't want to jinx it, but what the hell -- if we beat Wisconsin and Minnesota loses AT Maryland and AT Northwestern, we own the tie-breaker over Minnesota and would finish ... NOT in last place!!!

If that doesn't make you hate Brad Davidson and hope we smoosh his face into the floor on his senior night, I don't know what to tell you. In fact, I think the entire conference will be cheering for us.

4 hours ago, Nighthawk said:

So is it possible to say that the Creighton game is partially to blame for this season and the route it took? Not just them beating us yet again, but for removing "THE GLUE" for a good chunk of the season?  The Huskers should probably have been able to get someone to step up into that role as leader, so I'm still going to put most of the blame on the team. 

Losing Trey was a blow but we were the type of team that lost to Western Illinois on opening night before that

Who listened to FH's post game on BTN? Posted below.

A couple of comments that caught my attention.

"We go into the postseason where everybody is zero and zero."

Great mentality to have going into the BIG Tournament. 

"We got a log of young pieces that are going to back..." around 5:50

I'm not reading anything into this other than to note that he made this comment.

File it away in your back pocket.

I really like that white 3/4 zip pullover.

It was really nice waking up this morning and realizing last night was NOT a dream. They've played really, really well these past few games. Better late than never, I suppose, but very hard to not ask ourselves "what if...?" Will drive ourselves crazier asking that question, so I'm just trying to enjoy the last 10 days of the season. GBR!

Edited by dustystehl

11 hours ago, coughunter said:

I remember when NE beat GA in the NIT and got their coach fired.

That would be Hugh Durham. I remember that game well because for some reason I got tickets in the student section in the first row behind the east goal and watched a Georgia player miss some crucial free throws toward the end as everyone chanted "Clank-ston".

Edited by jimmykc

1 hour ago, Norm Peterson said:

If I'm not mistaken -- and I don't want to jinx it, but what the hell -- if we beat Wisconsin and Minnesota loses AT Maryland and AT Northwestern, we own the tie-breaker over Minnesota and would finish ... NOT in last place!!!

If that doesn't make you hate Brad Davidson and hope we smoosh his face into the floor on his senior night, I don't know what to tell you. In fact, I think the entire conference will be cheering for us.

We went from hoping for a 2nd conference win to a chance at finishing 13th real fast.

Amazing how three good performances provided a bounce back to this site and the fan base in general:

* although we are what the record shows, there now appears to be a glimmer of hope and optimism 

* remember we also lost an important big man early on when Briedenbach went down.  As we watch our youngins improve as the year progressed, I wonder what the addition of him along with Trey might have meant.

* who else is sort of wishing that Alonzo had one more year?

* who else is praying that Bryce & Trey say screw it...we want one more season together. 

* who else is sort of saying "just give us two, maybe three more wins?

* hey, why not us?

45 minutes ago, throwback said:

Clearly, it took Denim Dawson's effort & willingness to dive on the floor for loose balls in practice about 2 months to rub off on the rest of the team.

I got nothing else to explain this complete 180.

But I like it.

Quaran & Denim could be sparkplugs in practice, that does make a ton of sense. And, I genuinely believe these guys love their coach, who recently received news he'd be back. That boost emotionally can have a very positive net effect.

1 hour ago, jimmykc said:

That would be Hugh Durham. I remember that game well because for some reason I got tickets in the student section in the first row behind the east goal and watched a Georgia player miss some crucial free throws toward the end as everyone chanted "Clank-ston".

I was at that game toi.  Good old George Claxton.  Next game lost to Pete Lisicky and Penn state

8 hours ago, Ron Mexico said:

Who listened to FH's post game on BTN? Posted below.

A couple of comments that caught my attention.

Great mentality to have going into the BIG Tournament.

And the Oscar for Best Performance GOES TO: The Ohio State A/V Department!!!! :Mfclap::Mfclap::Mfclap:

You can actually HEAR the questions being Asked! image.gifimage.png
The Closed Captions are actually Readable and HELPFUL! Not truncated. (hint: try it with CC ON)
No long intervening period of blank tape.

Can We please HIRE the Ohio State Audio/Visual Guy????

Probably the most meaningful Press Conference I've heard (both content and presentation) Well Worth a listen. :nod:

Full Quote:

(5:42) Q: "Fred, How important is momentum(at the end of the season)?"

A: "Very, for a group like ours; you know we've got a lot of young pieces that are going to be back (edit: I inadvertently left this out) and you know to have some momentum, something to feel good about I think is very important......I got one more regular season game, hopefully we'll go and play well" (vs team that is leading our league) "then we go into the postseason where everybody is zero and zero, so you just keep battling, keep grinding; practicing, getting better."

Edited by Red Don

A truly stunning thing about the win is this: Derrick Walker played only 13 minutes, because of foul trouble, and that put CJ Wilcher at the 5 for portions of the game.
If, before the game, anyone's crystal ball had said those Walker and Wilcher things would happen, we'd have all predicted a blowout of major proportions, with odds of a Husker victory at zero-to-none.

1 hour ago, Cazzie22 said:

I have been out of the loop in California caretaking a friend.  Someone please explain to me what switch was flipped? Do they suddenly give a damn or is it just hot shooting?

Cazz,

Personally I think it all occurred after the press conference where Verge and Derrick were singing the accolades for Coach Hoiberg.  Combine that with Bryce getting better with each game and Trey now seemingly fully recovered, they are making quite a duo.  Verge may be an important difference, passing the ball, good spacing, great effort from everyone, boxing out and getting rebounds.  Shooting seems to be better, but that may be a function of getting better looks, rather than rushed shots, or ill-advised shots early in the shot-clock.  Inexplicably, everyone seems to have upped their game, shooting and effort; CJ, Lat, Andre. The first half of basketball vs Penn State was a scene of Beautiful Baketball; And carried over to the Second Half.  💣🎇

(howzzat for an explanation.  ;))