Off Season changes

kldm64

On 3/2/2022 at 10:22 AM, hguy44 said:

I always get annoyed at comments like this because it appears to be blaming the fan base for the absolutely atrocious basketball I've watched over the last 3 years.

We've already been 'quiet' for 3 years and we still have a crappy basketball team. If we become quieter I cannot see how that makes this program better, and in fact I think a sense of apathy could set in even more.

It's hard to believe that if we just keep our mouths shut for another two years, don't even request any basic changes or have simple expectations, that its going to magically turn into one of the best basketball programs in the country...

In my original post it says when I say you I am referring to the ones in position to actually make the decisions at hand. Not fans on a message board or anywhere else.

My fault for not restating that on the reply.

Edited by Blackshirt83

If Matt leaves, we're in trouble as it is well known Fred HATES recruiting.

I would assume they hire another recruiting focused coach.

And would we be? Last time I checked this team ISNT winning games. I get we get some high caliber players here but outside of some individual stats, it isn’t working.

Can it really get much worse?

I would rather get a bunch of 3 stars who want to bust their ass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I heard someone on the radio, I think..., recently, can't remember where, that Loesner is a pretty solid recruiter, too. I think Gates had that rep, too, but haven't really been allowed to since Fred came in until recently, at least when it comes to Loesner. Having some late success, and considering we'll still be playing in the Big Ten and will pay well, there will still be plenty of interest in openings here. I think Fred's reputation still carries quite a bit of weight in basketball circles. 

On 3/2/2022 at 11:17 AM, hskr4life said:

Sorry, but this is just false.  There isn't a "Hot Seat" thread for Matt.  There isn't a "Next Nebrasketball Assistant Coach" thread where people are talking about who we could/should hire as a new assistant.

Fred has taken a lot of heat as the head man.  He's gotten a ton of blame on this board.  Sure, Matt's taken some heat.  However, don't act like Matt has been the only target.

And when Fred's future was in doubt of returning I was defending him. Have you not been paying attention though, there are only two assistants being talked about by basically anyone in regards towards assigning blame for this season, Matt and Doc. And since the ones blaming Doc are irrelevant generally ignore those other to correct their misunderstanding of Doc's role. 

My entire point in what you are referencing is that noone is talking about the other two assistants. Armon Gates and Nate Loenser. They mostly focus on Fred, who is coming back; Doc, who is irrelevant; and Abdelmassih. So that's also who I was mostly focused on. 

I just have found it very interesting that other than Fred, who is the head coach deserves the debate; the two "coaches" people focus on most are the one who is not a coach and the guy that has recruited a pretty talented roster. Completely ignoring the rest of the staff. I would have thought other than Fred the coach that I would have most been defending most is Gates. For most of the year the vitriol aimed at Verge was pretty strong. And yet not much was said about the coach whose specialty is point guard play. 

57 minutes ago, Blackshirt83 said:

I just have found it very interesting that other than Fred, who is the head coach deserves the debate; the two "coaches" people focus on most are the one who is not a coach and the guy that has recruited a pretty talented roster. Completely ignoring the rest of the staff. I would have thought other than Fred the coach that I would have most been defending most is Gates. For most of the year the vitriol aimed at Verge was pretty strong. And yet not much was said about the coach whose specialty is point guard play. 

No one is making that case about Gates because it would require a fundamental misunderstanding of the issues and/or how a basketball team works in general.

If Matt is really gone I wonder if Fred will continue with the tradition of hiring former assistants he has worked with or branch out and seek someone totally new. Cornell Mann is a guy who was on staff with Fred at ISU that seemed to have recruiting responsibilites (multiple Michigan guys including Monte Morris). If Cuonzo Martin gets fired at Mizzou Mann may be looking

If Matt is really gone I wonder if Fred will continue with the tradition of hiring former assistants he has worked with or branch out and seek someone totally new. Cornell Mann is a guy who was on staff with Fred at ISU that seemed to have recruiting responsibilites (multiple Michigan guys including Monte Morris). If Cuonzo Martin gets fired at Mizzou Mann may be looking

Cornell and Charlie Henry are the two former Fred assistants still out there on college staffs aside from TJ of course. Charlie was a popular name to come when Fred fist got here but he followed Nate Oats to Alabama instead. Charlie and Loenser also worked together with the Windy City Bulls.

On 3/5/2022 at 4:11 PM, Blackshirt83 said:

Way to completely miss the point of the entire post. 

You're trying to convey that you think you possess the ability to assign specific football or baseball coach type roles to coaches and that in doing so you find everyone to be at fault and thus no one is at fault and we should just leave things as they are. It doesn't hold up if one has no insider info and it really doesn't hold up if one does.

• 4 weeks later...